Perfect Union banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now that factory mags can be had.... which is better for situations concerning defense? 223 vs 762 ? .. what about the firing pin?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Either rifle would do fine for any situation you are ever likely to encounter. Either 5.56 or 7.62 will do the job within any reasonable defensive range.

The upside to the 5.56 is domestic ammo availability. The upside to 7.62 is cheaper Eastern Bloc surplus ammo and, if your rifle will eat it, steel-cased ammo (especially that sweet, sweet Wolf MC with the Soviet 8M3 projectile...).

Personally, I like .30 caliber rifles and corrosive brass-cased Yugo surplus doesn't bother me in the least. I would get the Mini-30 and a case of This and shoot the ever-loving snot out of it. Just clean it up good afterwards.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I had the same dilemma and I ended up with a mini 14 tactical. Both are good options and are basically the same rifle only different calibers. It is all about ammo availability, check your local gun store and see what they are asking for both. I buy almost 80% of my ammo online from cheaper than dirt, aim surplus, palmetto armory, etc. But every once in a while I grab a handful of 20rd 5.56 boxes at my local shop on my way to the range (more expensive thou). Also you have to wait at least a few days to get ammo online, and you have to pay for shipping, so it is nice to know you can grab some nearby in a pinch. Basically what are you willing to pay for ammo, and what do your local shops carry? You shouldn't rely on getting all your ammo shipped to you.

BTW I don't shoot steel cased because of horror stories of failures and broken firing pins. 7.62 is almost exclusively steel cased, and the minority that is brass is more expensive than or the same price as .223/5.56. Keep that in mind, im sure you'll be happy either way.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
why not get both :D

I have a mini 30 AND a Mini 14...

The thirty is a brush hunting gun for hogs, goat and axis deer. for the range I shoot steel cased silver bear ammo to save money and still get range time in (it does shoot silver bear really well) and when hunting I feed it Federal Power shock.

the 14 is my defensive rifle/fungun. I shoot almost exclusively winchester FMJ on the range and have a few boxes of SP ammo for maybe using on goats or two legged baddies.

Ammo is really hard to get here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mini Dilemma

The Magic 8 Ball says Mini 30, follow up question (why), larger round? Don't hate on the Magic 8 Ball!

Serously, I think 7.62x39 is a better round for hunting as said earlier hogs, deer, etc.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
My choice would be (and was) the mini-14. The .30 cal round doesnt have the range that the .223 does. If you are going to shoot brass cased ammo, I think the x39 would be more expensive. I just prefer the .223 over the 7.62x39. YMMV.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mini-14 for home defense (remember your neighbors), Mini-30 for hunting...buy both.:D

Brass-cased ammo for both M-14 and M-30. Stock up on x39 brass and ammo whenever you find it and if you reload for them you should never have to worry about firing pins.

M

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i had seen that one, see with the mini 30 resale is gonna suck..... no one seems to want a mini 30...but in my mind i dunno why there would be so much trouble with the 30 when the 14 seems to be doing great esp with the new barrels

·
Registered
230 Posts
yeah i had seen that one, see with the mini 30 resale is gonna suck..... no one seems to want a mini 30...but in my mind i dunno why there would be so much trouble with the 30 when the 14 seems to be doing great esp with the new barrels
I knew about the problems before I bought mine. That is why I determined to shoot only brass-cased factory and reloads. More expensive, I know, but I have other rifles (AK, Saiga) to shoot the steel stuff.

I also weighed the fact that my M30T might be slow to sell due to Ruger 30's previous reputation.

To date mine has had no problems and is plenty accurate (~2 MOA) for what I want. If mine was shooting 6 MOA I might have a different opinion of them.

Why not just go with the M-14 and get something else in X39, like the Saiga? Their accuracy is much better than most people think. Plenty of guys on the Saiga and THR forums hunt sucessfully with them...

Good Luck.

M

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
I would buy both. My priorities would be:

Mini 14 - primary use set up for tactical, self defense. The mini eats anything in .223/5.56 that you feed it. I would set it up with a top of the line Mil spec Red dot (aimpoint, eotech) or low magnification tactical scope (trijicon, leopold, burris,ect)

Mini 30 - Primary use short range hunting and accuracy optimizing with handloads. Should be a fun gun to tinker and experiment with. Get a good quality low power hunting or tactical scope. No use buying a $700 carbine and putting on Commie Crap $50 optics.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
I wouldn't buy any mini until the complaints dry up on this board and others, then I'd get the .223 mini and an SKS, AK etc. to shoot the steel.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Many people say the Mini 30's have a lot of issues. I can go to the gun shows and find lots of used Mini 14's but virtually no Mini 30's. This tells me the buyers are holding onto them. I would not be afraid of a Mini 30 new or old as long as I'm not shooting Wolf steel ammo. If you want to be a cheap skate on ammo then learn to reload.

I have shot Tula's out of my Mini 14 and found they are boxer primed and they all went bang without adding an extra power spring to the trigger group. I have even reloaded some empty Tula cases to see if it could be done with success. (yes, but I don't recomend it)

If accuracy is an issue then get a strut. They have been proven time and again to work. Some of this hinges on paying the right price for a Mini. Either caliber. I got my last one for $320. My son picked one up for $300. Not everyone gets this lucky but this gives us some room to spare to do some "improving". I have paid for 2 Mini's to get rebarrled and it paid off with better accuracy. I wish I would have known the struts were coming out and I would have save myself a lot of money.

I tend to think some issues are poor quality control from Ruger. I also think some of it is from amatuers doing things beyond their capabilities. When I joined the Army before I ever shot an M-16 I was given classes in tearing it down and maintaining it to Army standards. I wish we had a mandatory Mini 14 owners and maintainer's class before anyone ever touched their new rifle. My guess is a lot of problems would disappear.

If it's mechanical or has moving parts there will be issues. That's the bottom line. Do some research before buying and then learn how to use it correctly. The internet is a wonderful thing for doing that research. JMHO. kwg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts