Perfect Union banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked a mimi14 and took it to the range today and am very dissapointed.At 25 yds oron sights it will shoot quater size groups BUT 2 1/2" to the left and this is with the rear sight all the way to the right.Any suggestions for a fix?Are there any after market rear sights available for the 14.The gun is a 582 tatical series.I really don't want to scope it.I'veee only had the gun 2 days and already thinking of useing it as a trade gun if i can't get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Sounds like you may have gotten one that fell through the cracks at QC...

Have you tried removing the rear sight, applying some BLUE LocTite to the screw, and reinstalling? That's really the only simple fix I can think of, but it may not even be the real issue.

IIRC, a couple of others have experienced the same issue, and it was because the front sight was crooked due to a poorly-machined roll pin slot.

If that's the case, an aftermarket sight isn't going to help. The rear won't fix anything, and a pin-on front will be just as crooked. You could send it off to GunDoc and have him cut/crown/thread the barrel, install the front sight correctly, then permanently attach the flash hider (since the barrel would now be too short to be legal...).

Or you can send it back to Ruger and let them warranty that beast. It should have been right from the factory.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If I were you, I would definitely send it back to Ruger. They'll fix it and get it back to you ASAP as they do not want faulty product out there with their name on it.

A friend of mine took his SR556 back to the shop of purchase (for same type of front iron sights problem) and they handled everything with Ruger at not cost to him.

Good luck and be patient - the gun will definitely be worth it once you get the sights fixed!

Quinton

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
front sight

IF the front sight is crooked it must be very slight,it looks ok to me.I just put a scope on it to try it out tomorrow to see its potential before having any work done on it.If it shoots well I'll send it back to ruger for a fix,if it does not it will be trade goods.I have a mini-30,580 series that is a tack driver at 50 yards,iron sights BUT the rear sight is all the way to the right.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There was an identical post last week I replied to - I've seen similar threads a few times. The rifles really shouldn't be like this, but shooting to the left seems common. I've got 2 of them that do it. Here's a cut-n-paste of my response last week:

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster but this thread, I've seen similar ones too, has prompted me to respond.

I've got 2 mini tacticals, 581 and 582 series, and was initially quite disapointed when my first one shot a good group - to the left. I adjusted my rear sight all the way to the right until it could go no further and I couldn't quite get the group on target. Sooo - I contacted Ruger and they told me to mail it to them. But, I was lazy. I didn't like the rear peep aperature nor the threaded adjustment anyways so I figured I'd try the TechSight and see if that was a solution and if that didn't work then I'd go through the hassle of sending it back.

I screwed on the TechSight and it's been fine ever since. I still feel there's something possibly wrong, but the darn thing shoots so well I'm not sure I care that the rear aperature is adjusted fairly far to the right. I'm on target at all realistic ranges and that's what matters.

I got a 582 series as well and before I ever fired it I put on the TechSight and was surprised to find that after zeroing my rear sight was set an identical distance to the right as my 581 series. The TechSights gave me more windage adjustment than the stock one did hence my ability to get on target. I also like the smaller peep aperature - gives me a better sight picture.

Anyhow, thanks for tolerating my rambling. Hope something works out for you - the new sight did for me. (I also recomend getting some Testors flourescent paint and painting back of the front sight blade)

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Some have found the fix by loosening the gas block screws and making sure it is not in a bind with the gas meter bushing. This bushing has a hole in it that lets pressurized gas through it to operate the slide and it holds the gas block in place with the barrel. When tightening the screws make sure the gas block also has an even gap on both sides. kwg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with scope

Put a scope on it and tride to see how it would shoot.Either I have a bad scope or I've forgotten how to shoot.At 50 yards the best i could get was about a 7 inch group.Tomorrow I plan to have a friend try it out with the scope on it.If the results are the same I plan to trade it off at a gun shop.I don't want to send it back to ruger,I already have an ar at colt for repairs since aug and am getting tired of waiting for mfgs to work on the guns and get them back to me. When i buy a gun I expect it to work correctly.I'm to old to play the waiting game.I have a mini-30 that shoots great with any ammo I put in it,am just sorry the 14 is so bad.

·
Registered
397 Posts
grizzley, what ammo are you shooting? Did you clean and lube the gun thoroughly before shooting? With my 581 it seems to get better the more I shoot it. Like with most guns, different ammos shoot differently and it takes some experimenting to find which ammo your gun likes best. Have you contacted Ruger yet about the issue with the sights? Ruger is real good about customer service and will fix or replace this gun on their dime usually. So give them a chance. These are a fun little gun to shoot so don't give up on it so easily!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sorry you continue to have problems with your gun, grizzley. I don't blame you for not wanting to go through the hassle - and long wait - of sending it back to the manufacturer.

Incidentally, my friend finally got his SR556 back from Ruger. They told him that the barrel had been installed incorrectly. Seems to shoot much better now.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The last member who posted about sending their Mini back to Ruger posted that it only took a couple of weeks, IIRC.

Seems to me that waiting a couple of weeks is a damn sight better than taking a hit on trade value...

As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 581 series and found it to be nearly dead on right out of the bos and only did a bit of elevation adjustments because I like to shoot 100+ yards, my friend has a 582 series and he had the same luck also. I did notice that the sights on the new series have two set screws for windage and you unlock one side and push with the other, so if your only trying to adjust with the setscrew on the right side, the sight may move a bit initialy, you may need to push the sight with the set screw from the other side to get it to move.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
The last member who posted about sending their Mini back to Ruger posted that it only took a couple of weeks, IIRC.

Seems to me that waiting a couple of weeks is a damn sight better than taking a hit on trade value...

As always, YMMV.
Thats what Im thinking. Give Ruger a chance to make it right. But, if you want to run off half cocked and trade it off just be a man and let the guy who buy's it know what's wrong with it so he can fix it and enjoy the mini you didnt have time to

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reason I'm hesitant on sending it back to ruger is because colt has my since aug and has not even evaluated the problem.I called them last week and was told to contact them in a few weeks for an update.How quick is ruger on their turnarounds?
I would like to give this mini a chance since I prefer the handling of the mini over the AR even tho the AR is more accurate.I had it out at the range and noticed that the gap on the gas block is not even on both sides,could that be the cause of my problem?I tride to loosen the screws on the gas block but they would not budge.Any tips on how to remove the gas block screws?I intend to contact ruger to see what they can tell me about my problem.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The reason I'm hesitant on sending it back to ruger is because colt has my since aug and has not even evaluated the problem.I called them last week and was told to contact them in a few weeks for an update.How quick is ruger on their turnarounds?
I would like to give this mini a chance since I prefer the handling of the mini over the AR even tho the AR is more accurate.I had it out at the range and noticed that the gap on the gas block is not even on both sides,could that be the cause of my problem?I tride to loosen the screws on the gas block but they would not budge.Any tips on how to remove the gas block screws?I intend to contact ruger to see what they can tell me about my problem.
I've never heard of Ruger taking longer than 6 weeks to fix or replace a rifle. Most of the time it's within 3 weeks, as far as I can remember from others' posts.

If you want to remove the gas block, get yourself a new 9/64" (IIRC...) Allen wrench. Using the short side of the L in the bolt, slowly work the bolt back and forth. I.e., left 1/8 turn, right 1/8 turn, left 1/4 turn, right 1/8 turn, etc. etc. Those bolts are staked in place at the factory and will be difficult to remove the first time. It's a PITA, but worth it.

I'd also highly recommend contacting GunDoc or walkenbear about a new set of gas block bolts/screws. The factory ones most often have a bit of a burr on them from the staking, which can be difficult to thread back into the block.

Be sure to use BLUE LocTite when you put the gas block back together -- now that you've removed the original staking, it won't hold the second time around. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts