Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What has been your experience reloading for the Mini14. I don't think mine likes heavy bullets -60 grain vmax - (but not sure yet), haven't figured out yet whether it likes hot loads or not, and it definitely doesn't like crimped loads.

Anyone have any experience with compressed loads?

Mine likes the Federal Salt Lake 50 grain a lot; anyone know the specs for this load ( powder, grains, etc.)?

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey dvd, uhh, ya mean Lake City? I am also experiminting with Lite, heavy loads for my 9" turn mini, but with all the stuff I have to do, and the rains, it is going slow. In theory, the older minies 10" turn, shoot best 60 grn, or lighter, while the 9" turn minis like the 62grn or heaver bullets. I have some 69 gr sierra bthp loaded with W748, just waiten for a chance to get to the range. After that I will load some Nosler 52 gr, balistic tips with Rx7. Im trying to beat the factory 45 grn win. varmint. 1.5" avg groups at 100 yd. ya just have to experiment, as each mini is different.
The factory folks don't publish what they put in their loads, but a more experienced reloader could look, and sniff the powder then weigh it to figure whats in there. Good luck, with your loads;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've done a fair bit of handloading for the Mini's w/ 1in9" twist using 40, 50 and 55gr weights and find I can determine a powder charge that will make all these weights shoot. It's all a matter of finding the velocity that makes the barrel vibrate right. Actually it's more complicated than that, but I don't want to over-complicate things. I never crimp. But I do prefer "same lot" cases, which I then uniform by reaming primer pockets, deburing flash holes and sorting by weight- throwing out the odd balls. I don't full length size, but prefer to partial size my fired cases.

Whenever I'm working up a load for the Mini I pick my bullet, primer & powder combination and then procede to shoot a 5 shot group in 1gr powder increments. Somewhere along the line you'll find a charge that gives the best accuracy. I also find that air temp affects velocity and as a result I have a cool weather charge and a hot weather charge. (The Mini's thin barrel seems to have a fairly narrow velocity window it prefers.) A good place to start is with the 55gr Nosler Ballistic tip and ~25gr H335 and CCI400 primers in R-P cases. In my rifles that load always seems to do fairly well. Another load I like is the 40gr V-Max w/ ~29gr H335 (~3500fps!!) But again you need to play around w/ the powder charge to find the velocity your rifle likes. I've also had decent results w/ the Speer 50gr TNT and AA2200 (a nice cheap load).

Keep in mind.... changing the bedding, adding a comp, or playing around w/ the gas block, will require you to re-tweak the powder charge as those things affect barrel harmonics and screw up your "perfect load".
Talk to ya later,
Mike in Oregon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts