Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I called a dealer and got a price for a Mini 14 Ranch with blued steel, not stainless steel. I just checked the 2002 Ruger catalog and the Ruger Ranch is not available in Synthetic Stock with blued steel. It is only available as an all weather model in synthetic and only comes with stainless steel. You can also see this on their web site: www.ruger.com I am assuming that the dealer made a mistake and it was not a ranch model. Well anyway what would you guys recommend? I am looking to purchase a military performing weapon. The ranch would be better right, in that it ejects the shells from the side like a military weapon? What do you guys recommend I get, the synthetic stock regular or the synthetic stock Ranch? Also what would be better: blued steel or stainless steel. I like blued steel in that it looks more militaristic. Also know of any place that I can order the gun for a good price. I will have it ordered to my local shop that has an FFL. Thanks for any info.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~VZE2Y3R4/

:ar15:

·
Registered
110 Posts
They both eject shell casing form the side.
The ranch is just set up with integral scope mounts.
I wouldn't recommend a ranch rifle unless you want to use a scope or a red dot. I think stainless steel is overrated. It will still rust. Also its not too stealthy, so you have the added expense of covering it up with a baked on finish. Also, when used in automatics, it suffers from gauling.
I would just get the regular blued mini-14.
Personally I love the wood stock with a wood hand guard (which they don't make anymore).

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
ninja, I bought my SS ranch with wood stock at the Houston gun show new for $469. It isn't a brite stainless like my SS 10/22, but it is more a parkerized finish like the M14 I used to carry. I didn't like the wood stock as it is very slick, and I almost droped it a couple of times. I put a Hogue Rubber overmold stock. I like it. I chose the Ranch model as I knew I would be making some 300 yd shots, at varmints, and would need a scope. The ranch comes with rings, ready to mount. I had to have the stainless steel as the humidity is very high here, and it rains alot. The stainless is more rugged, in resisting rust. Its mostly personal preference. Whatever grabs ya.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just scrolling through the posts and I saw a pic of Codger's Mini 14. It is the best looking rifle I have ever seen. All Military rifles are in black so I think that is what I should get. Plus alot of the muzzle breaks are in black as well as the black mags. Anyway I am just wondering why the 2002 Ruger catalog does not have the Mini 14 Ranch listed as a blued steel with the synthetic stock. You can also see this at their website: http://www.ruger-firearms.com/rfcenterfire_auto.html
I don't want to purchase a rifle that has been laying on the shops store for years. Here is the prices I have gotten from two separate dealers $489.95 for Ranch synthetic stock blued steel and $525 for Ranch synthetic stock stainless steel. Or I can go with the stainless steel but would it look like a military rifle or just a plain old hunting rifle?

:ar15:

·
Registered
716 Posts
As far as I know, if you buy a NEW Mini-14, with the synthetic stock, it will also be SS.

You would have to buy a wood-stock Mini-14, blued, and then replace the stock with either a factory or after-market black synth stock.

OR, you'd have to buy it used. Check http://www.gunbroker.com

·
Registered
427 Posts
NinjaRacer,
If you start out wanting to modify the rifle, I suggest having a professional gunsmith, who knows Ruger Mini14 Ranch Rifles, accessorize it for you. Also, I wouldn't hesitate buying a new rifle that's last year's model if it has the features I want. I'd be willing to bet there's nothing new about the 2002 SS. I'd be willing to bet that Ruger made a business decision to offer only one model this year.

Having said that, I had a learning experience when changing out the stock, and I wonder if anyone else had the same problem.

I replaced the stock on my .223 ranch rifle and suddenly my pattern went to 18 inches diameter at 50 yards. Being new to gunsmithing, I refused to believe it was the stock. I blamed it on ammo, the muzzle brake, cold weather, everything but the stock. A year later, I tried glass bedding. Now my little RR is back to normal. Has anyone else had a similar problem by simply changing stocks, or was I just unlucky?

KC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts