Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 80yo Dad and his older buddy shooting out back today, in the beautiful Northeast. Brought 'em down the Mini and the AR, both have optics, red/green dot on AR, 4x12 Vortex on the Mini. After shooting both rifles, the old timers came to same conclusion I did, Mini heads and shoulders above the AR. Those 2 ended the AR's shooting session early as expected. Thanks Bill Ruger馃憤馃徎馃槈

Registered
The mini and the AR share only a common caliber. All of my AR's are on a whole nuther level of accuracy. But that comment aside, good to hear you are caring for our elderly guys.

Major General Chit Chat
My dear old dad was the same way when I first took him out to the range with a Mini-14, and later bought a Mini-30. He was a lifer in the Army Air Corps/USAF... 20 years active duty and 8 years in the reserves, serving in WWII and Korea. In those years he handled about everything from M1903 Springfield to M1 Garand to M1 Carbine.

Since he was a flier he most often carried an M1 Carbine and/or 1911 Government sidearm. He never warmed up to the AR and referred to the Mini-30 as, "a real rifle." that felt good in the hands. He was a good shot too for his advanced age. Great memories.

Registered
After 60 years of R&D I suppose the Eugene Stoner/Armalite platform has improved since the M16A1 I had in Vietnam.
Still don't want one, though. If someone GAVE me an AR I'd probably sell it and buy something else.
I like my Mini 14, right alongside my M1, M1 Carbine, M1A, and even the 1903A3.

All this talk about AR "accuracy" may be relevant to shooting paper at the range, or bushwhacking a deer that's standing still, but that's about it.

Registered
I own a 30, as MOF the only Mini 30 I know of that's set up to take a bayonet. photos here, in the Mini section. had to blow my horn a bit fellas.
I can't imagine an AR with a bayonet although know they were made to accept one. the M16 that is.
the Mini is just more 'old school' is a way of describing it. M1A1 or M14 look-alike.

Registered
I'm with Rice Paddy Daddy, but too young for RVN service. Learned marksmanship in JROTC on an M1 Garand, graduated to an M-14 in SROTC, and then the M16 in SROTC summer camp and then beginning of my 22+ years of Army service. Always preferred the heavy but serious Garand and M-14, so when it came time for my first personally-owned firearm, it turned out to be a lightly-used Mini-14 in 1980 by happenstance. I still own it and will never give it up, and it is still my favorite. It is also the first non-.22 my nephew and his son ever fired. Never cared for the AR platform. Don't know if that happenstance ownership had turned out to be an AR might have set me off in a different direction, but the Mini-14 is - and will always be - my favorite, hands down. It, and the M1 Carbine.

I don't hunt, so caliber isn't a thing. Aside from my M1 Carbine, the largest caliber carbine(s) I own are all Mini-14s. I gave my nephew my father's Win 70 (30-06) I inherited years ago, and he will get all of my firearms (and everything else) upon my demise. I know he and his son love the Mini-14s, but also like the AR platform, being different generations. It is always a wonderful time when they visit to take out my Minis for a shoot-fest: mostly at reactive targets and gongs, at the farm.

Registered
I have a couple of M1 Carbines, an M1A, a Mini 14, a couple of AR15s and an AR10...

When it comes to plinking, I tend to reach for the carbines, the Mini 14 and M1A long before the AR platform guns.

When it comes to brush hunting I always reach for the Mini 14 or one of the 30 cals, though the Mini rocks a great red dot which puts it at an advantage over the others.

Registered
I prefer the Mini as well.
I still have a few AR's but the Mini seems to handle better for me.
As far as Accuracy goes, last couple of trips to the range the ar guys were on a whole nother level, couple of floors down :LOL:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts