Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading here a while. With all the exp. here I thought Iwould try here. Can a ranch bolt be used in the standard 14 so to eject more clear of mount & scope. Is there a picatinny type rail to mount a peep sight r&r type/scope r&r type. DRilling & taping are no problem if the hard ware is available. Thank you all for all the good info & stories thru out The Perfect Union.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey beck. I don't know if a ranch bolt/extractor, will fit in a regular mini or not. Some members have put rubber under the scope mount to bounce the brass. You may have better luck getting a weaver mount, over a picniny mount. You can use search enter scope mount as key words, several threads will come up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. The search turned up a lot I have been reading over and over. Its a long story but, I had a missing extractor & after the rifle sitting for 7 weeks at Masons gunsmith I took it to Going western .The guy has a Ruger Armourer chit on the wall .He tells me after the rifle is apart that the Bolt is cracked.I asked him how he knew that& it was clear who is cracked; then he told me the bolt was swollen up, again I asked him how he knew, he said he test fired it with a ranch bolt hence my & about the bolt got its start there,anyway just git me my @#$% ^&*^% Rifle & let me pay you for what u aint done. I read here for months; him hawing back & forth took it over to Phil Collie or Collins at guns and ammo in Mempho he had it ready in less than aweek. That was amonth ago I havent fired it yet. Not poor mouthing any body behind thier back I will never do any business with Mason"s gunsmithing or Going Western On Navy rd. in Millington;Tn I mean never. Thanks to all here for the info;history,honesty,& open knowledge givin to those who ask.

·
Registered
55 Posts
beckrodgers,

I've been trying to put together a similar setup for a while. So far the options seem very limited. While its possible to put a Picatinny rail on a ranch rifle, I have yet to find a similar option for the standard Mini. If you want a scout type mount, that is possible:

http://www.ultimak.com/M4.htm

The best leads so far for a Picatinny rail on a standard Mini are possibly a Millett or an S&K mount (replacing the rear sight) and attaching an A.R.M.S. #5 mount to it. It is unclear at this point if this will work. Calling Millett and S&K directly has resulted in no clear answers. I'm almost resigned to just ordering both and trying them out.

-davey

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Beck, I'm not a gunsmith yet, but I believe you cannot switch bolts from one gun to another, I believe it is a fitted part. It has to be fitted to your chamber to seat properly before firing.

So ya gonna send it into Ruger for proper repair?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No ;I took it to Guns & Ammo on Summer ave in Memphis Tn a smith by the name of Phil Collie or Collins repaired it. I took to him after a fellow told me of him. He is well liked at the Memphis Sport Shooting Assc. and came highly rec. for lite repairs, ruger was a last resort. Thanks

·
Registered
716 Posts
cajun, you are correct. The Ranch bolt is not interchangeable with the Standard Mini bolt. The gunsmith probably just replaced it with a Standard Mini bolt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we are getting a real 2-5" group with the mini 14 standard. It has been bedded&has the Williams peep set up out of Brownells.Oh 100 yards even,prone rolled up wool blanket and or sling. Guatemalan surplus,Malaysian surplus,SA battlepack all

55gr. The next step is the trigger job on this rifle.I gave up on the uther stuff on this rifle after the trigger.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Thanks for the update beckrodgers. The trigger job will help a bunch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts