Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wanted a mini14 0R 30 for along time, i finally got a 14 today, i had to drive 2 hours to get it, it looked dirty,but everything felt smooth, its a old one 2 [1978] according to the serial#,

anyways, the guy told me he got it and never shot it due to living in the burbs, i got it and went back to the house, took it to the feild to shoot it, and when i shot it the action wouldnt come back all the way, itll jump back some but not enough to chamber a bullet,

also when you try to chamber a bullet you have to yank back on it pretty hard to get it to grab a bullet ,if you dont the bolt will just push a bullet into the chamber and the bolt will be behind the bullet and the firing pin wont strike due to the bolt not being all the way foward, then you have to pull the bolt back and pull the bullet out the chamber,anyway I brought it inside and tore it down cleaned everything, bolt, recoilspring, trigger group, etc.

its shiny and clean now, i called the guy and told em and he says he"ll send me a moneyorder if i cant fix it and have to buy parts or send it to a gunsmith,

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME GET THIS THING FUNCTIONING PROPERLY,ID LOVE TO SEE THIS OLD BEAUTY WORKING CORRECTLY,,

THIS IS A SIMPLE SETUP AND I FEEL IF I CAN GET THE RITE INFO I CAN FIX IT MYSELF, BUT I NEED SOME INPUT FROM SOME MINI OWNERS, THNX FOR THE HELP, ALL INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Welcome aboard. First and foremost dont send it to a gunsmith before you send it to Ruger directly. Second if you dont get a good response from people on the Tricks and Tips forum you may wanna repost it on the main forum. Most likely somebody way more helpful than myself will be along shortly to give you some pointers

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
I would really suggest reposting this in main section below. The tips and tricks section is often overlooked and underused. If you repost there just edit your first post here to state you moved it so you dont have to worry bout checking two threads

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wanted a mini14 0R 30 for along time, i finally got a 14 today, i had to drive 2 hours to get it, it looked dirty,but everything felt smooth, its a old one 2 [1978] according to the serial#, anyways, the guy told me he got it and never shot it due to living in the burbs, i got it and went back to the house, took it to the feild to shoot it, and when i shot it the action wouldnt come back all the way, itll jump back some but not enough to chamber a bullet,also when you try to chamber a bullet you have to yank back on it pretty hard to get it to grab a bullet ,if you dont the bolt will just push a bullet into the chamber and the bolt will be behind the bullet and the firing pin wont strike due to the bolt not being all the way foward, then you have to pull the bolt back and pull the bullet out the chamber,anyway I brought it inside and tore it down cleaned everything, bolt, recoilspring, trigger group, etc. its shiny and clean now, i called the guy and told em and he says he"ll send me a moneyorder if i cant fix it and have to buy parts or send it to a gunsmith, CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME GET THIS THING FUNCTIONING PROPERLY,ID LOVE TO SEE THIS OLD BEAUTY WORKING CORRECTLY,, THIS IS A SIMPLE SETUP AND I FEEL IF I CAN GET THE RITE INFO I CAN FIX IT MYSELF, BUT I NEED SOME INPUT FROM SOME MINI OWNERS, THNX FOR THE HELP, ALL INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED
Would like to suggest that you use a chamber cleaning brush on the mini before you send it off. Your description of the problem is a classic example of a dirty chamber issue.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
OP: As mentioned above, the first step is to make sure the chamber is clean. I prefer to use a 9mm pistol bore brush, bent 90* just down from the bristles.

Another possibility is a clogged gas port. Use some automotive brake cleaner (aerosol can), and spray into the gas tube. Then use pipe cleaners (yes, they have a purpose other than arts & crafts... :lol:) to scrub inside as best you can.

Be sure to post up what else you've tried, as well as any changes in symptoms. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 582 Mini had terrible ejection problems. I rarely made it to three rounds without a failure. I sent it back to Ruger on their dime, they fitted a whole new bolt, and now it's flawless. Also, they really polished up all the wear areas. Customer Service goes through rifles with a fine tooth comb; you can tell they have way higher standards compared to what is allowed off the factory line. Send it in. It sucks being without your rifle, but trust me, it's worth it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I wanted a mini14 0R 30 for along time, i finally got a 14 today, i had to drive 2 hours to get it, it looked dirty,but everything felt smooth, its a old one 2 [1978] according to the serial#,

anyways, the guy told me he got it and never shot it due to living in the burbs, i got it and went back to the house, took it to the feild to shoot it, and when i shot it the action wouldnt come back all the way, itll jump back some but not enough to chamber a bullet,

also when you try to chamber a bullet you have to yank back on it pretty hard to get it to grab a bullet ,if you dont the bolt will just push a bullet into the chamber and the bolt will be behind the bullet and the firing pin wont strike due to the bolt not being all the way foward, then you have to pull the bolt back and pull the bullet out the chamber,anyway I brought it inside and tore it down cleaned everything, bolt, recoilspring, trigger group, etc.

its shiny and clean now, i called the guy and told em and he says he"ll send me a moneyorder if i cant fix it and have to buy parts or send it to a gunsmith,

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME GET THIS THING FUNCTIONING PROPERLY,ID LOVE TO SEE THIS OLD BEAUTY WORKING CORRECTLY,,

THIS IS A SIMPLE SETUP AND I FEEL IF I CAN GET THE RITE INFO I CAN FIX IT MYSELF, BUT I NEED SOME INPUT FROM SOME MINI OWNERS, THNX FOR THE HELP, ALL INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED
Recoil spring guide in upsidedown?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well , ive tried everything, couldnt get it to function properly and took it to the gunsmith on the way to work, i was thinking about sending it to ruger ,but i cant even get em on the damn phone!!!!!I have called them many times before taking it to the guy and kept getting a recording saying to call back at another time due to a high volume of callers, I hate to say it ,but im really not liking ruger too much now, when i get this thing back im probably gonna sell it and buy a walmart special if im not overly impressed with this gun when i get it back

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Well , ive tried everything, couldnt get it to function properly and took it to the gunsmith on the way to work, i was thinking about sending it to ruger ,but i cant even get em on the damn phone!!!!!I have called them many times before taking it to the guy and kept getting a recording saying to call back at another time due to a high volume of callers, I hate to say it ,but im really not liking ruger too much now, when i get this thing back im probably gonna sell it and buy a walmart special if im not overly impressed with this gun when i get it back
Everybody is overwhelmed right now. Try keep that in mind.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Ruger has been swamped since Newtown. And the Feinstein crap hasn't made it any better.

It took me 2 weeks to get through to them to order some parts for my 10/22.

Hopefully your 'smith can get 'er up and running. If not, be patient with Ruger -- they're going through this whole run on guns thing just like the rest of us.

·
Registered
32 Posts
One other possibility is the magazine. I had a very similar problem due to the back of the magazine riding too high. This can happen if you insert it wrong, or if the magazine is damaged. If you can buy (good luck) or burrow another magazine, it would be worth a try.

I called Ruger today and it took a while to get through. Kept getting a recording that sounded like it was made in an echo chamber. Essentially said "we're too busy call back later". I tried several times, and finally got into the queue using the parts options. If you get that far, it will tell you where you are in line. I was number 4. It took about 15-20 minutes to actually get to talk to someone. While on hold the recoding repeatedly says you can leave a message instead of waiting. I wasn't trusting enough to try that. First thing in the morning seems to be a good time to call.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.