Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:usa:
I know it seems crazy and everyone I know asks me why but I just love to reload. I have been searching for a good start for my mini-thirty. I have finally shot all of my cheap ammo and now I am after tight groups. I was given a load by someone off another forum and thought I would pass it on to you guys. Let me know if you have a pet reload for your mini-thirty! I would be interested in hearing them. Below is the load someone gave me that worked great in his mini-thirty. I am in search of the 1991 Gun Digest that he talks of in the response below.
Thanks
David

The Seirra 135 grain 30 calibre Single Shot Pistol bullet is a .308 bullet. I learned early on that my rifle shoots this size much more accurately that the .310-.311 bullets. I believe that the surplus ammo has a lot to do with the old wives tales being told as gospel on the inaccuracy of the Mini 30. I shoot cast bullets extensively in all of my firearms and the Mini 30 is not an exception. I slugged my barrel shortly after purchasing it and the bore is .308. You will hear from others that try to come off as experts and will tell you that your bore is .311. You can prove for your self by slugging the bore and then there is no doubt for your gun. The chambers in these guns is rather odd as it is made to accept bullets of the .311 size so you can safely fire ammo meant for the AK,SKS,Etc. guns. The only problem I have heard that I think credible is that some foreign ammo may have harder primers than American made !
ammo and the Mini doesn't always strike hard enough to ignite the primer in that ammo. The best information on reloading specificly for the Mini 30 that I have found I also got from this forum. I don't have it in front of me but I believe it is the 1991 Gun Digest. It has a long article by a knowledgable writer who tried an extensive number of combinations of powders and bullets with some very good results and also some very poor. He includes several tables to show his results. Very good article to narrow the starting points to get good results. that is why I posted is to hopefully get you good results without having to try a lot of combinations and maybe loosing interest before you find a workable load. If you are interested in looking for the article I refered to I can go to the basement and find it and post it later. The Mini 30 is capable of good accuracy as i said, it can also be very discouraging at times as well. I tried several bullets and powder combos to ge!
t the MOA load that I now use. For cast bullets I very quickly found a combination that was as accurate as any of the surplus ammo. Now I am trying to better that and have as yet found a combination that will do better than 3 inches at 100 yards. If you are interested in cast bullets there was good article in Handloader Magazine in 1995 or 1996 with heavy bullets in a 7.62x39 Ruger 77 bolt rifle. It is also very informative. I hope I have been a help.

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
The mini 30 has a .308 diameter bore so the key for better accuracy is using standard 308 bullets. I tried some hornady 130 soft points with hand weighed charges but my scope came loose and spoiled the groups :( . I will try some speer 125 gr TNT bullets and see what happens. The hornady load book offers some good loads for the 7.62x39 with .308 bullets. Maybe someone makes a boat tail bullet of 125 grains that might extend the range a little? Of course finding your brass that has been sent a mile away after firing is a little disconcerting.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Try the nosler 125 grain balistic tips, I use IMR 4198 and H322 extreme powder with very good results.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Dave I know what ya mean I like ta reload to. I like development of loads that are more accurate than any factory load, and at a fraction of the cost. I get my Foreigner, and the Eagles going, I can spit out the ammo till I run out of something. It takes a lot of work to get a load worked out: Using the log book, recording velocities, filing targets, trying different bullets, powder, seating depths. I have had to step out of the box a time or two (with caution of course) it payed off. I got a chrony 6 months ago, it is a handy tool.

Geno, a brass catcher will make things a lot easier. Most of the catalogue stores have them. Your scope coming loose, and brass flying, reminds me of my mini before I installed a smaller gas port bushing. You can use the search button for more detail if it is of interest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts