Perfect Union banner
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
Thanks Sandog for the encouragement and for the incredible groups. Something to shoot for.

so…funny story. Last time I took “Beth” to the range, the first group was decent…but nine inches to the left.
I had spend the previous Saturday night painstakingly mounting the scope. I seated both rings on the receiver about 5 times before I was satisfied it was settled in correctly, then loctited them, and then placed the scope on top, lined it up and carefully installed all 8 screws, making sure the rings were level, and then removed the screws one at a time,applied loctite to each one and put them back in, again making sure everything was level and snug.

So…when I see that the group is so far off, I’m confused and maybe a little frustrated. I look at the scope to see if it’s loose or something and realize that I’m looking at one of the adjustment turrets…on the left side of the rifle. Turning it over, I see that there is no turret on the right side and realize my mistake,,,I painstakingly installed the scope rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise in the mount. I love finding new and interesting ways to screw things up. :)

I have corrected the scope issue, loaded some of the SSTs I got with a more reasonable load and I’m waiting for the opportunity to get to the range again to see if i get better results.
The crown looks good under magnifying glass inspection, but I’m not an expert, so I’d like to take you up on your offer once you get the tools back.

I will also follow your advice, Bepe and shim the stock before I try again.

I also concur with your assessment of the usefulness of the dot, I have a holosun that just might fill the bill...and it has an integrated mount, which will make it very difficult to install sideways. :)

…and thanks all for your input and insight. It really is a great round and a great rifle.

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
the X39 being a Russian designed cartridge the powder used in the original loading of it may (likely) have been a new design as well. if so than a 'ball' shape - easy to meter - may have been a choice of the cartridge designer. not sure about the ease of manufacture vs a 'stick' shape (the first smokeless [actually just 'less smoke' not smoke free] powders were all stick shape) but may have been a consideration.
'there is nothing new under the sun' - as the scriptures say, and the .223 and x39 in my opinion were the last entirely new 'non-magnum' loads developed. the .308 Win is a cut down '06 and the 6.5s are just Swedes or Carcanos refined. as I see it that is.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Things based on the .308 case turned out to be real useful. I've used .243, 7mm-08 and 358 Winchester. (And of course some very accurate .308s ! )
And the ole -06 spawned some great calibers when necked up or down as well. The 25-06, 280 Rem. and 35 Whelen come to mind.

Too bad the 6.8 Mini didn't take off and become more mainstream.
Some choices for the Mini in a short 6mm, 25 caliber and 270 or 7mm cartridge would be nice, provided the ammo would be readily available.

Want a Mini in .17 Fireball, .204 Ruger, .22 Nosler, .224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Grendel, or .350 Legend ?
ASI lists those calibers and 16 others that Ruger doesn't chamber a Mini for.
Ruger Mini 14 30 Rifles Barrel Conversions New Rifle Packages Accuracy Systems (ruger-mini-14-firearms.com)

We 7.62 x 39 shooters are being left out though, as manufacturers work overtime to catch up.
Stores near me like Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse have shelves loaded down with every kind of 5.56mm you can imagine. Full cases of Federal XM193 sitting in the aisle and stacks of PMC M855 battle packs on the shelves.
But only a couple boxes of x39 here and there, if any.
Even though I have a good stock of handloads, PPU and Silver Bear, it would be encouraging to see some rifle ammo on the shelves that I could buy to add to the stash.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Actually the .308 Win parent case is the 300 Savage so not a cut off 30.06. That said the ought six gave birth to a lot of fine cartridges as has the .308 Win with accuracy leaning toward the 308 Win.
Pretty cool we have the choices we do!

·
Registered
656 Posts
The 7.62x39mm has been maligned for ages as being a less than accurate cartridge. A reputation that was gained by use in loose chambered Kalashnikov's.

In actuality the 7.62x39mm is an extremely accurate cartridge. Parent case to couple of the PPC chamberings. Shoot steel case ammo and one can't expect too much. Spend a little time at the reloading bench and you will be rewarded.

Bepe

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Went back to the range today. In preparation I loaded some SST’s on 26 grains of 1680, turned the scope right side up, and shimmed the stock with the remains of my Firehouse subs gift card, sacrificing the remaining balance of $1.89 in the process. :) There was plenty of room for the shim, and it was definitely a much tighter fit when I put it all back together.

At the range I clocked my hand loads at about 2330 fps, which is where it aught to be.
Accuracy was about 4” at 100 yards still, and it functioned flawlessly again.

During clean up I noticed that on the bottom side of the barrel, close to the receiver that there is a line of disturbed metal 1/16th of an inch wide and about 3” long that looks like a place where the op rod assembly is dragging. Is that common?

Also, if 7.62 x 39 isn’t supposed to be accurate, someone forgot to tell my x39 bolt gun. It shoots silver bear steel case under an inch and a half at a hundred yards. It’s a great round for the a 100-150 yard brush gun with the right projectiles. Those of us who don’t shoot pronghorn between mountain tops find it very useful.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Phineas, there are several places on the op-rod where you'll see rub marks. Just put a dab of grease there.
A couple years after coating both Minis with Cerakote, I took them apart to show where the "new" rub marks were.
Not much you can do about contact points but maybe polish that area and give it a small amount of grease.

When you use up that A1680, try some A2015 or H4198. Equally good accuracy, but a good 150 fps. boost over A1680.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Keep RL7 in mind also. Excellent accuracy and listed velocities higher than the H4198. This coming from a 30+ year user of the 4198 powders.

Top three 7.62x39mm powders IMO are A2015....H4198....RL7.

IMR 4198 gives one hole accuracy but delivers a lower velocity. Probably comparable to the A1680.

Bepe

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Things based on the .308 case turned out to be real useful. I've used .243, 7mm-08 and 358 Winchester. (And of course some very accurate .308s ! )
And the ole -06 spawned some great calibers when necked up or down as well. The 25-06, 280 Rem. and 35 Whelen come to mind.

Too bad the 6.8 Mini didn't take off and become more mainstream.
Some choices for the Mini in a short 6mm, 25 caliber and 270 or 7mm cartridge would be nice, provided the ammo would be readily available.

Want a Mini in .17 Fireball, .204 Ruger, .22 Nosler, .224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Grendel, or .350 Legend ?
ASI lists those calibers and 16 others that Ruger doesn't chamber a Mini for.
Ruger Mini 14 30 Rifles Barrel Conversions New Rifle Packages Accuracy Systems (ruger-mini-14-firearms.com)

We 7.62 x 39 shooters are being left out though, as manufacturers work overtime to catch up.
Stores near me like Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse have shelves loaded down with every kind of 5.56mm you can imagine. Full cases of Federal XM193 sitting in the aisle and stacks of PMC M855 battle packs on the shelves.
But only a couple boxes of x39 here and there, if any.
Even though I have a good stock of handloads, PPU and Silver Bear, it would be encouraging to see some rifle ammo on the shelves that I could buy to add to the stash.
I have been considering sending my Mini to ASI to convert it to .350 Legend but I have a 12ga. slug gun for deer hunting. I don't have a logical reason for doing it. But, things might change some day.

kwg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I have been considering sending my Mini to ASI to convert it to .350 Legend but I have a 12ga. slug gun for deer hunting. I don't have a logical reason for doing it. But, things might change some day.

kwg
I think if I waited for a logical reason to buy a gun I wouldn’t have quite so many guns, and where’s the fun in that. I say life is short. Buy what you want. :)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I have had good luck with H4198 in my Mini-30. with the Hornady 125 grain .308" HPBT that the use in their American Gunner 300 BLK loading, I get 2550 fps and about 2 MOA with iron sights and old eyes. I get about the same with the .310" 125 Nosler and the same powder. It will easily bust clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm with every shot from a rest.

I just picked up a really nice vintage Bushnell Banner (Japan) 1.5x4 scope for my Mini-30. I will dial it in on Sunday,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I took the afternoon off today and drove to a nice outdoor range to try things out again.
Since my last post I replaced the Ruger rings with some much better Warne rings. They don’t slip while you’re trying to put them on, and they don’t come loose.
I also replaced the sear spring with an mcarbo spring, which improved the trigger pull by a few pounds, maybe,
…and I got a Harris bipod adapter so I could use my bipod. I had great results with the Harris bipod on my 7.62x39 Ruger American Ranch bolt action, so I figured that might help.

It was another pretty frustrating day at the range. I think if this had been my first rifle, I’d never have bought another. Trying to get it sighted in I’d get two rounds an inch apart 3“ up and 3” right of the bull,…and then the third round would land an inch below and to the left of the bull. Not sure how you’re supposed to adjust for that. I started shootings 5 shot groups to figure out where it was hitting and got the hits mostly swarming around the bullseye…when it started doubling...which isn’t such a good thing on a public range. The replacement sear spring is apparently too light to guarantee that the disconnector will hold. …so there goes another $20 into the garbage. …and of course, I can’t find the old spring, so I had to order a new one.

On the up side, I burned through 80 rounds of steel case from silver bear to Tula to that green stuff I found in the bottom of a box, and didn’t have a single fail to fire.

I’ve got it sighted in, and once I get the spring replaced, if should be serviceable.

I once read that the AK47 was a poor rifle, but a great weapon. I think that applies to the mini thirty…at least to mine. It’s very reliable, relatively hard hitting, easy to handle and fun to shoot, but it’s never gonna be able to hit clay pigeons off the 200 yard berm.

The American is such a great rifle. Inexpensive, accurate and reliable. I had great hopes for the thirty, but it’s been a bit of a disappointment.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts