Perfect Union banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeing pics of mini14s that look like m14's, with the tube under the barrell. What is this? Is it just a model that was previously made? what does the tube do?

again, newb and still learning. the google search is showing pics, but doesnt say what it is besides mini 14

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am seeing pics of mini14s that look like m14's, with the tube under the barrell. What is this? Is it just a model that was previously made? what does the tube do?

again, newb and still learning. the google search is showing pics, but doesnt say what it is besides mini 14
Accustrut

·
Registered
298 Posts

What you are seeing are barrel struts. Mostly Accu-Strut's or Mo-Rods. They lessen the barrel whip effect, that happens with the Mini-14/30 (more so with the older Mini's, that have the smaller dia barrel). They also change the harmonics that take place with the barrel. Makes things more consistent. And, to a certain existent, they also dissipate heat from the barrel. They look really cool to! :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Trust me on this...
Heat dissipation is not to be sneezed at. Fire a few rounds and your lube starts smoking. A barrel stabilizer helps with this a lot.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Could be you have seen a picture of a Ruger "XGI" rifle. They were planning to release these in the mid 1980's, but put the brakes on the project when they couldn't get them to shoot accurately enough for a big game caliber rifle.( A few experimental models were made in .243 and .308 winchester). I believe Ruger actually sold one at auction last yr. ( in .243 win.) for a charity fundraiser.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, it was the accustrut. all i needed was the name to do the research on what it was and what it did.

·
Registered
65 Posts
accu-strut all the way. definitely get one I had an old pencil barrel mini-14 and in cut my groups in half no BS. Well i traded that gun in last year for the new mini-14 tactical version with the shorter tapered barrel. Accuracy with the new mini was equal to my old one with the accu-strut out of the box. So i put another accu-strut on the new one. It did help accuracy, not as much as before but it helped and it illuminated the vertical stringing when rapid firing, I average 2-3in groups at 100yards. im no rifle smith so people can definitely do better than me with it.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I'm definitely digging the brown-painted Choate handguard, ala M14. Time for me to bite the bullet and get a wood stock so I can paint a Choate to match. That's righteous!

Damn, you guys cost me so much money!! :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Would a stock like that fit on the mini 30? I haven't had mine long enough to know if the mini 14 stocks fit the 30's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts