Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I did a search to look for a "target" type thread but didn't find any. I think this will be interesting and informative for everyone. Post pics of your targets and what mods you have done to your rifle (if any). Targets can be a whatever distance, but 50 and 100 yards would probably be the best since they are the most common.

In short:
1) Pics of Targets w/ what ammo
2)Specs on rifle

Here is a couple of mine:
- 581 series Mini 14 SS
- 2-8x32mm Nikon M223 Scope
- ASI 3.5# trigger job
- Epoxy Bedding for factory synthetic stock
- Mo-Reaper Muzzle Brake
- 0.048'' Gundoc Gas Bushing
- 1911 Wilson Combat Buffer on rear of op-rod
- Choate hand guard

Targets are both at 100 yards and shot using Nosler's 55gr. varmint ballistic tip ammunition. I was shooting a shot every 3-7 seconds and didn't let my barrel get hardly warm at all. And none of the shots shown were "cold bore" because I had to sight it in first.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is me and my gf second time out with mini 14.....first time out with new sparta stock.....btw Im loving the new stock. Its a newer 582 series and took it to local 25 yard range all I have available. Had to zero in my primary arms 1-4 scope. Heres our group after it zeroed.

Shots fired with cheapo steel cased ammo
;)

Can't wait til a trigger job and accu-strut

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I shot some this weekend with my 196 standard, 100 yds with Nosler 55 bt. Varmit powder 24.5 gr hand loads. I had to tweak this mag but I finally got the factory 20 shooting well. 1" orange bull targets.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Testing CFE 223 in the target mini did well on the lower right target at 100 yds Nosler 55 gr.

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Tri, awesome looking targets!

I managed to pick up some AA2520 yesterday, but still need to find small rifle primers and bullets. Are you picking yours up when the truck comes in locally or online?

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Hey Tri, awesome looking targets!

I managed to pick up some AA2520 yesterday, but still need to find small rifle primers and bullets. Are you picking yours up when the truck comes in locally or online?
I have been picking up a few bullets from a Cabela's close by and an LGS. I had stocked up on primers and powder last year. I hate to pass up a deal when I see one.

I saw powder valley had some stock on 55 gr bullets the other day.

·
Registered
61 Posts
stock

This was at 50 yds. Stock Mini-14 with ~$70 BSA Tactical scope. There are only 4 shots because that's all I had left after zeroing scope. Greatest distance from center to center is 1 and 1/8 of an inch.

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts

This is why you buy a Mini 14 for off hand shooting at 50 yards.
I tend to agree. While some of you guys are getting great bench-rest groups, I use mine more for "run and gun". This was fired from 50 yards, with 5 rounds standing, 5 rounds kneeling, 5 rounds sitting, and 5 rounds prone. The entire course was fired in under 30 seconds using 55gr FMJ. The rifle is bone stock.

·
Banned
7,947 Posts
I tend to agree. While some of you guys are getting great bench-rest groups, I use mine more for "run and gun". This was fired from 50 yards, with 5 rounds standing, 5 rounds kneeling, 5 rounds sitting, and 5 rounds prone. The entire course was fired in under 30 seconds using 55gr FMJ. The rifle is bone stock.

Great shooting frogman. 20 round exact count just like my 30 round exact count. I'm too old to be running and jumping and for that I am in envy.

Reactions: gunbear

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're right, the purpose of the Mini definitely isn't a sniper type role, but man is it fun to tweak it and do the work yourself! I bought the Mini from the outset as a project type gun and I thoroughly enjoy working on it myself. For relatively low $$, its very cool seeing what can be accomplished.

Will it ever shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards? Mine sure wont and I understand that full well.

With many of the AR crowd hammering on the Mini, its great to show them what is possible without spending boo-koo dinero ;)

Anyways, great groups guys!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here is my Mini 14 Tactical target from October, 2012. It as a Nikon M-223 1-4x with BDC reticle. It has grouped like this twice at 100 yards, five rounds, with PMC 55gr. FMJ BT. Only "mod" was to remove the folding stock and install the basic Ruger black synthetic stock. Very happy with this rifle.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here is my Mini 14 Tactical target from October, 2012. It as a Nikon M-223 1-4x with BDC reticle. It has grouped like this twice at 100 yards, five rounds, with PMC 55gr. FMJ BT. Only "mod" was to remove the folding stock and install the basic Ruger black synthetic stock. Very happy with this rifle.

View attachment 23938
Wow, that is really good. It's nice to know the Mini is capable of this. Of course, it takes a good shooter too ;).

·
Banned
7,947 Posts
For all you 100 and plus yarders, good shooting and I like to see what you can do with the tweaking and optics. Keep them coming.

I'll stick with my 25 to 50 yard open sights with the spray and pray if that's ok and will post some more soon. Conserving ammo is a bitch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Target shot today April 16, 2013 using Herters 62 gr. HP bullet at 50 yards with iron sights. Only mod to the Mini 14 is a muzzle break and sling. I thing the break helped with the accuarcy. Four lower shots are bad finger control.
581 stainless

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.