Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
American realist
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious if any of you with the newer mini tactical models notice if your mini prefers 55gr (m-193) or 62gr (m-855) or no noticable difference between the two. if things settle down here in the next couple days, i'm going to start ordering some bulk ammo, but not really sure when i'll make it to the range for a test session with the new tactical. thought i would ask what others have noticed with their rifles. thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've fired lots of both through my Mini tactical, along with cheap (TulAmmo, Wolf, Herters) steel .223 ammo with no problems, and not much difference in accuracy. I usually shoot between 50 or 100 yards.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I prefer M855 but normally shoot .223 55gr SP, mostly due to range restrictions. Cannot recall any change in performance between them. My impression so far is that the 62gr is more consistent and tighter, but need more range time to confirm. Both are accurate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
XM855 is the preferred ammo for my 581 series DX. Tighter groups than with anything else I've put down the pipe (mostly assorted 55 grainers).

·
Registered
317 Posts
my mini-tac

It definitely prefers 62 gr. but is not fussy about shooting other stuff.
If your buying in bulk for target / varmint shooting you may want to consider lots of ranges won't let you shoot the M855 due to the steel perpetrator.
Good luck.
Richard

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
I reload as well as shoot factory ammo. I dont shoot steel cased ammo but thats another thread. I have noticed in my reloading that my 580 series loves 60, 65, 69gr bullets. I shot the best group ever with this mini using 60gr sierra varmiter bullets. 1.25''@100yrds. It shoots 55gr very well also. I load tons of sierra 55gr fmj for plinking. I also shoot alot of m193 and m855. I bought a box of Hornady Superformance 75gr. 5.56 ammunition to see how it shot thru the mini and it shoots very good at 100yrds. Stabilized the 75gr bullet just fine.

·
Registered
397 Posts
qwman68 it sounds like you have done your homework with this rifle. Do you experience your first shot going a couple inches low usually? I have been plagued with this and trying to figure out why.

Attachments

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
qwman68 it sounds like you have done your homework with this rifle. Do you experience your first shot going a couple inches low usually? I have been plagued with this and trying to figure out why.
I have heard of that issue before but never experienced it myself. Since Ive had my mini-14 ''tweaked'' I can honestly say that my first shot had always been near perfect with the following shots trying to duplicate the first. Since adding the accustrut it doesnt string shots up and down anymore. When the group opens up its usually horizontal more or less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts