Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: :usa: :eek: Which synthetic stock is best fit on a mini?Also,has anyone installed the Choate Bird Cage flash hider?Is it a gunsmith or do it yourself type job?Thank's for any help/Info.....

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey War dog, I put a Hogue stock on mine, it fits perfect. It is fiberglass with a black rubber coating. The but end is about 1 inch longer than the wood stock so it fits me better. Prices run from $47 to $72 so shop around. I also have a double muzzle break instead of a flash hider. It reduces muzzle flip, and reduces your grouping in half. $19 @ cheaper than dirt. Just knock out sight pin slip it on drive in new pin. Just remember to back it up with a 2x4. Ya don't want ta tweek that thin lil barrel. There are several other posts on these subjects.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey wardog,
I just finished putting a choate birdcage with m14 style sight on my standard mini. I shortened the barrel to 16 1/2" too. Easy, just cut off barrel right behind existing front sight, true up the barrel, I just used a hand file and a carpenter square, install font sight using the hex head lock screw, sight in to insure sight is top dead center, then drill for new crosspin. There are instructions in the package. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wardog, yeah, shoots just fine, I get the normal 3-4 inch groups I got before. Sight picture is much improved, for me anyway, but I shoot the M1A alot. Main reason I cut it back was for compactness, mine is a preban in a BC folder. Looks cool in the wood stock too tho. If you use a good quality hackblade, pay attention to the cut, then use a file, it is pretty easy to get a square crown. You don't need to put on a bevel crown as the fh protects it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a factory Ruger synthetic stock that I could possibly part with. I am assuming it is the best fit. I bought a Butler Creek pinned "folding" stock that was a pretty good fit. It was a little tight. I think that it is due to the fact that it is specified for the mini-14 OR the 10/22. If you are wanting the traditional stock, you might look into Butler Creek to see if they have a synthetic traditional. I am well pleased with the quality of my aftermarket.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Negatory on the crown S-man, as long as the cut is square and true, you won't have a problem. Admittedly, I wouldn't consider doing this myself on a varmint gun, but c'mon, these things are 2-4 moa on a good day. If you notice a degrade on accuracy, just pull fh, take out the mill file and work at getting it a little more square and true. With the FH, you don't need the traditional recessed crown we are used to seeing on rifles. If you are not comfortable doing this, most gunsmiths will do it for 50-75 bucks.
also, Brownell's sells the proper tools if you want a little more professional job.

I used to be into FAL rifles, and built several kit rifles with knowledge from the FALfiles board, they even have a forum dedicated to WECSOGing. I have no fear of tearing into things like this.

BTW, how many of you still carry a rifle in your pickup with the crown against the floor board?? This is much worse for your rifle than what I've done with mine.

goodorbit: the crown is at the end of your barrel, it allows the bullet to leave the bore without the propellant gases escaping unevenly, which would destabilize the bullet. I used bevel crown to mean the recessed type you see on all guns w/o muzzle devices.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you could clarify for the slow.

The gasses need to escape behind the bullet evenly, right?
So a true square cut is all that's needed.
The bevel is a cosmetic or probably there to protect that edge by recessing it.

How much work/fun is involved in building a rifle? For those who like to fiddle.
Any major headaches?
What are the ATF issues?

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
goodorbit,
By jove you've got it!! Recessed crown protects rifling at end of barrel from dings.

As far as building guns, its something I've taught myself. I've always loved to tinker with things, and thanks to the internet there is a HUGE amount of info out there. Just learn to sift the beans from the bull****. Educate yourself on the ATF issues, no law against building legal configuration firearms for personal use. Most critical part of gunsmithing is SAFETY. Headspace is # 1 in my book. Every time you pull the trigger, you have a potential brass cased grenade going off about four inches from your nose. :eek:

As far as FAL type rifles go to

www.falfiles.com

Hope this helps, rezman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts