Perfect Union banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I THINK I have my 582 series SS Ranch tricked out. Mods made so far:
--home "trigger job" (much lighter than original)
--.045 gas bushing (brass flies 10-12ft between 1 & 2 o'clock)
--1911 rear recoil bushing
--Accu-Strut
--Filed front of op-rod to have more even contact with the gas block
--Bedded using snug tight fit metal shims at front and along sides of reciever held by epoxy
--Redfield 2X7 Accu-Range scope using Ruger mounts (tight w/blue loc-tite)

What I am looking for is a 200yd coyote gun not a long range prairie dog gun. Here's the "problem": the first 3-5 shots are in about 2.5" groups (sand bag rest @100yds) but after the gun warms up the groups shrink to 1.25 which is great but I'm never gonna be shooting at a standing 'yote with a warm barrel. I'd actually not mind if it were the other way around: tight for the first 3 shots then open up. By then it's hail Marys on the run anyway. When we're calling, the gun is gonna be cold and I want the first shot to count. I don't like the feel of an AR-15 and my bolt gun is too slow for many followup running shots. We hunt open country. The groups don't wander they just shrink. This was the first outing after bedding the rifle. Could it just be settling into the bedding? I didn't have the time or targets to let the gun get cold and do a reshoot.

Is there any more I can do like cryo or fire lapping or is this actually "good enough" and I should stop whining?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That's counter to the normal trend, but it sounds like an improvement to me. Where did you find the gas port bushing? They seem to be in very short supply these days.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
First, do you clean your bore after each trip to the range?
I have a couple hunting rifles and a few sidearms that group differently depending on if they are shot with a clean cold bore or a clean fouled bore. One of my 30-06's takes 4 rounds from a clean bore before it settles down.

When we sight or check zero on our hunting rifles we do not clean the bore until after the season unless for some other reason like the bore getting wet. Also when sighting I let my barrel cool completely before each shot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would think your strut would help keep the barrel true, and act as a bit of a heat sink for it as well. How was the accuracy before you added the strut?

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
Honestly. I'd call it a day.

As a lifetime hunter, I know that if a gun can group a 3" at 100 yards, its going to kill any game animal. The heart and lung area is greater than 6" so if you aim for the pump station with your gun grouping at 2-1/2", the coyote is done.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Headtotexas,
I got the bushings here at Accuracy Systems: Mini 14 Accessories Ruger Rifle 30 Muzzle Brake Gas Block Compensator Steel Bedding System
scroll way down to the bottom

Remotecontrol,
At first, I did a lot of shooting at 50 yds with the iron sights. I was getting 1.5-2" groups from sand bags with a variety of handloads (60gr SP, 40 & 50gr B-Tips). Later with a Leupold 2X7 @ 50 yds I was getting 3/4-2" groups. After the Accu-Strut and new Redfield 2X7 50yd best groups were 5/8-1". These are all the best 3 shot groups while working up loads using different powders (H335 & W748) and various bullets. I suspect some of the improvement is from running about 200 rounds through a new gun and the trigger getting better.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Headtotexas,
I got the bushings here at Accuracy Systems: Mini 14 Accessories Ruger Rifle 30 Muzzle Brake Gas Block Compensator Steel Bedding System
scroll way down to the bottom

Remotecontrol,
At first, I did a lot of shooting at 50 yds with the iron sights. I was getting 1.5-2" groups from sand bags with a variety of handloads (60gr SP, 40 & 50gr B-Tips). Later with a Leupold 2X7 @ 50 yds I was getting 3/4-2" groups. After the Accu-Strut and new Redfield 2X7 50yd best groups were 5/8-1". These are all the best 3 shot groups while working up loads using different powders (H335 & W748) and various bullets. I suspect some of the improvement is from running about 200 rounds through a new gun and the trigger getting better.

This usually occurs as a shooter gets used to his/her rifle. Its called training your trigger finger muscle. (which also includes the brain). Congrats on your good shooter! Don't try to "fix" it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys. I feel better now. I appreciate your experienced opinions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello, H.G.

Found your experience with groups tightening up as barrel warms similar to what I experienced this past Sat. My mini is a 581 matte w/ wood stock. Home trigger job per Gun Doc's video, rear Wilson buffer on the op. rod guide, and a reduced bushing courtesy of a small roll pin inserted into the standard Ruger bushing. Ammo was hand loads w/ 62 grn. FMJ, Win SRP, and 4895 Pwdr.
Was about half way into my shooting secession, barrel was cool after taking a break. The range was 25 yrds. as this was a sight in for this ammo and a new Weaver 4 power scope.
!st round hit 1" low , 2nd one hit 3/4" low 3rd hit 1/2" low, the next 7 went into one ragged hole. Will have to try this again with other ammo to see if this is consistent with this rifle.
Thanks for your post .

AL1460

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Get a Bore Snake (green) and pull it thru the bore 2x before you shoot, should help tighten the shots a little more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
roll pin bushing

Hello Remote,

Read about that idea of the roll pin in another post, sorry I don't remember if it was on this forum or another. Any way what I did was to remove the ruger gas port bushing, find a roll pin that would fit inside of it, cut to the proper length using the Ruger bushing as a guide for length, reinstall and go shooting.
It works O.K. for plinking, but having the gas port bushing from Gun Doc is a much better option in my opinion.
The roll pin I used has a very small Inside dia. but was easy to cut using a pair of linemen' s pliers. The only problem with this program is that not all ammo will function properly when it's installed. xm-193 works fine, as does 855, and my reloads w/ h-4895. I bought some commercial reloads and they would not always eject, hence the plinking only comment. Although thinking about this the commercial reloads worked before I put the scope on this rifle.
Anyway I will be ordering Gun Doc's gas port bushings soon.
Hope I was able to answer your question?

Al1460

·
Registered
33 Posts
roll pin bushings

Hey remote,

Just did a search, typed in gas port bushings in the search block upper right side of page, takes you to posts from Jan. 11 - Mar 11, about 2/3rds of the way down the pg. Lots of good info.

Good luck, AL1460

1 - 15 of 15 Posts