Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wouldn't it be nice if someone made a 3x28 or 4X28 or 30 mini scope"max. legnth 7.5".That used standard 1" rings,didn't cost arm and leg"sub $100.00.And had a sniper reticule"mil-dot or draganov type"And life time warranty.Seems to me maker would sell alot for mini 14/30/AK or SKS ant type small handy military type rifle. Just a dream?Aldo

·
Registered
685 Posts
a couple of years ago i tradeda red dot for a bushnell trophy for and love it . the scope is 1-3/4-4 with a circle reticle i think it's under that size limit your talking about. it works with running coyote and people sized stuff but don't expect to shoot small groups.but nice on action pistol targets out to 100 yds..........later

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Aldo, did you get that Choate stock yet? Good luck with your scope hunt, I'm happy with my Millett red dot.:usa:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,I got a Choate Draganov stock on the way.Got it off EBAY for $57.00+6.00 S&H,should be here in a week or so.Installed a shroud I made at work,out of 1/2"ID 1"OD extra heavy duty stainless seamless hydralic tube.Cut 6mm vent holes in it,bored out to 14mm oversized reamer,slides real fine over barrel without front sight,and put setscrews every 1.5" all the way around barrel.Kinda heavy,but very strong.A poor old millwrights barrel stabilizer.I have a POV Russian 4X32 sniper scope with a Draganov reticule and range finder on it now.When I mount the Choate stock I'll take pictures and post them.Only problem I see is that I changed a light carbine,to a wanabee heavy sniper.Oh well thats what makes playing with them so fun.Aldo

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ever considered a "red dot" sight for the Mini? I sure like mine. It's much faster than a glass tube, but you have to settle for no magnification.

·
Registered
9 Posts
:confused:
What is the largest scope bell size have you installed on the standard rings from ruger. I believe they refer to the rings as medium. Will a 40mm lens diameter with a bell size of 48mm fit on a mini-thirty with the standard rings?
Thanks
:usa:

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have a Bushnell Trophy 3-9X40 on my Mini-14. With the medium rings that ship with the gun, the bell of the scope which is exactly 48mm, touches the handguard. This probably is bad for the scope and bad for the accuracy. I have noticed it going off zero once in a while, but that could be because I like to tinker with it. I'm looking into getting the high rings soon. Model #S100RH for the black rings and Model #KS100RH for stainless..

Alternatively, I just ordered one of these, and it looks like this may provide just enough scope relief to eliminate this problem:
http://www.jackweigand.com/ranch.html. Hasn't arrived yet, but I'll let you know.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Got the bridge. It solves the bell-size problem, but raises the scope almost too much. I think the high-rings from Ruger would do the same. I have to place my chin instead of cheek against the stock to aim.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will stick with the medium rings. I am going to go with a 1.5 x 4.5-32mm BSA Catseye with illuminated reticle. This will clear the handguard and give me enough field of view as well as power. Then it will fit in great at the range and to deer hunt with. I have heard nothing but good respnse about this scope.
Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts