Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here you go:

First it was very hot!

I tried three different loads today, the Speer 70 Grain handload, a 55 Grain V-Max handload, and some American Eagle 55 Grain AR223 ammo. I placed the targets at 50 yards and used the factory iron sights from prone, no sling. The target squares are about three inches.

First the Speer:

These shot the best out my rifle. I use these quite a bit in my Ruger M-77 MKII with a 1/12 twist so I was hopeful they would shoot well in the CZ and they did. I have used these bullets on deer and pigs with great results, so I was very pleased to see them shoot well in this rifle. If you check out the reviews of these on the Midway site you will see similar reviews. This is a real sleeper bullet in the .223.

Next was my V-Max load. These usually shoot the best out of my .223's.

I have to admit by this point the heat was affecting my mental acuity. Sweat was dripping into my eyes and the heat was becoming oppressive. I still feel I put forth and pretty good effort, but it was more difficult to concentrate and focus on the target. I was hoping to try a similar load topped with Sierra Game kings, but of course forgot them at home. I would like to shoot these again to confirm actual group size.

Finally the AR223.

I have not had good luck with this ammo in other rifles, so my hopes were not too high with this stuff. I was also done at this point. I had spent about an hour shooting with no shade. I simply shot this for comparison.

Pics of the rifle:

And the desert for perspective:

Final thoughts:

I am very pleased with the rifle so far. The trigger cleaned up nicely. I like the factory sights, but I am going to put on a NECG ghost ring very soon. I hope this will help tighten things up a bit. The rifle functioned 100% and ejected all cases about three feet and to the rear. They all clustered nicely into a small pile about ten inches in diameter. The heat was brutal. After about 25 rounds the barrel was too hot to touch. This did not seem to effect accuracy though as all groups stayed about the same. Overall I shot about 120 rounds. I was concerned that the 70 grain bullets would not stay stabilized over distance, so I shot at a rock at about 185 yards and hit it every time. Then I fired on a small boulder at about 265 yards and was able to hit it pretty regularly, so I think I am good to go. I will shoot it on paper when things cool down to confirm my findings.

I hope others find this information helpful.

Cordially,

Matt

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I have two CZ527 rifles. One in 204 Ruger and the other in 7.62x39. Both shoot well. I like the set triggers. I was thinking of getting a 550 in 308. It might even shoot a little better when the temp gets about 20 degrees less.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CZ 527 Carbine 223

Thanks for the great range report, but I'll take the risk of sounding like a complete Noobie. I've got a question. when i contacted CZ they told me to use 55 grainers,or at most, 60 grainers. that the 70 and up were too heavy for the 1/12 twist.apparently this is not true.will using the 70 grainers adversely effect the rifle. can i use 72 grainers in it?

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
It is length and not weight determines stability. In a 1 in 12" twist you should be able to stabilize a 70 grain non boat tail like a Speer semi spitzer. Probably not a 62gr FMJ Boat Tail. I would think any 70gr and under flat base bullet should stabilize. With boat tail 55 gr might be the max.

Give it a try and see what happens.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the great range report, but I'll take the risk of sounding like a complete Noobie. I've got a question. when i contacted CZ they told me to use 55 grainers,or at most, 60 grainers. that the 70 and up were too heavy for the 1/12 twist.apparently this is not true.will using the 70 grainers adversely effect the rifle. can i use 72 grainers in it?
DH is right on the money. The only problem is that you have to reload the Speer bullets. That can be a draw back for the non-reloader.

·
Registered
166 Posts
One thing about what may or may not stabilize in a certain bbl. is that while some bullets may be stable at 50 or 100 yds., it may loose it's stability just a little farther out.
I saw this very thing with some older M16's with 1 in 12 twist. When we tried some 64 gr. stuff, one or two showed the bullets key-holing at 100 yds.. At 200 yds., they ALL smacked the paper sideways...and spread all over the target.

·
Registered
9 Posts
good old post ..I was looking in the 2012 product catalog from cz. page 50 has cz tech notes 223 rem 1/12 up to 63 gr... .223 rem varmint 1/9 up to 70 gr..
its nice to see what these little carbine's can run.. they are a fun rifle just hard to get hold of one... I scoped mine weaver 40/44 3x9x40 bdc med cz rings with no bolt handle mod it cleared fine.. thanks for the info

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thought I'd resurrect this post one more time now that I recently added a CZ 527 Carbine (.223) to my kit. I've only put 50 rounds through it so far but I'm really pleased with this rifle. Since I acquired it in late 2014, I got the benefit of CZ upgrading the barrel on the .223 carbine to 1:9 twist rate. This increases the bullet weight that can be handled over the previous 1:12 design.

BTW, went for a .223 weapon so that I didn't have to stock another ammo caliber. My Mini-14 is also .223.

CZ 527 Carbine

Mini-14

·
Banned
4,076 Posts
It is length and not weight determines stability. In a 1 in 12" twist you should be able to stabilize a 70 grain non boat tail like a Speer semi spitzer. Probably not a 62gr FMJ Boat Tail. I would think any 70gr and under flat base bullet should stabilize. With boat tail 55 gr might be the max.

Give it a try and see what happens.
I hear what you are saying about length not weight, but either way the math seems questionable on the 70 grain spitzer at 1:12. Longer distance may be required to determine how well this load is being stabilized. ;)

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Good point. I am not sure I was saying two years ago that 1:12 was ideal. Just to give it a shot. My Savage in 223 has the 1:9. I am busy loading up 69 grain loads to try. The CZ527 is an excellent Rifle. I love mine. I think Durango has at least one as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I moved my CenterPoint 2-7x32mm scope from my Mini 14 (see Post #11) to my CZ 527 Carbine (Mini is getting a CenterPoint 3-9x32mm scope). I mounted it with Warne rings (Warne Permanent-Attachable Ring Mounts CZ 527 (16mm Dovetail)) because I didn't like the CZ rings that required using a flat blade screwdriver instead of an Allen wrench.

Here's it is with the scope.

Here are two 3-shot groups at 50 yards compared to a dime.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry to bring this up from the dead, but I ended up selling the CZ and going with a Colt LE6920. It has better iron sights, just as accurate with irons, and doesn't have the single source mag problem of the CZ. I use Magpul 10 rounders; they work great and keep the rifle compact.

I realize that these are two completely different kinds/styles of rifles, but I generally go for function of ascetics. The Colt takes the beating of desert travel much better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts