Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me how to R&R the firing pin from the bolt on my 30???? I've been staring at it for hours, and no light bulbs are coming on!!
Thanks,
Joe:confused:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Insert a small screwdriver beside the extractor plunger, and turn and tip the screwdriver to depress the plunger. Move the extractor upward out of its recess. CAUTION: As the extractor post clears the ejector it will be released, so restrain the ejector and ease it out toward the front. Also, take care to keep the extractor plunger under control, and ease it out. Removal of the extractor will also free the firing pin to be taken out towards the rear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks Tailgunner. I'm trying to lengthen the travel of the firing pin, to reliably pop the berdan primers. I've installed a stronger hammer spring, which helped a lot. I only had one misfire out of 80 rounds of Wolf. I'm trying for 0 out of 80 now!!!
Before the new spring: 18 misfires out of 80 rounds. Ruger's reply: "Don't use foreign ammo." With the availability of low priced 7.62X39, would'nt you think it would be to Ruger's benefit to fix the problem, and sell more 30's??? That would make too much sense. So would making, at least, a 10 round mag.
Thanks again,
Joe

·
Registered
427 Posts
Joe2hewes,
I appreciate the advise about berdan primers. I've had a couple misfires with Wolf lacquered-steel ammo. Some posts about 2-3 weeks back said the problem might be a dirty bolt assembly. I've been tempted to disassemble mine on the Mini-14. The bolt's never been disassembled.

Anyhoo, my suggestion is to see how far the firing pin sticks out without the firing pin spring. I'll bet there's plenty of pin available to dent those primers. I did this once on a different rifle, and was pleasantly surprised. In that case, the only problem was the ammo.

Please keep me informed how this turns out.

KC

:sniper:

:ar15: :ar15: :ar15:

Teamwork wins

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well KC, there is no spring in the bolt/firing pin assembly. It's free-floating. Behind the point of the pin, inside the bolt, it mushrooms out, making it difficult/impossible to lengthen the pin travel. There seems to be no way to chuck it on a lathe. File & measure, file & measure, ....................seems to be the only option. I can say with much certainty, that the cleanliness of the pin has nothing to do with the problem. My AK never misfires. Non-military sporting rifles just don't have firing pins set up for the extra power required to dent the harder steel Berdan primers. But I WILL eventually find a fix for this. I'm a poor/cheap bastard and won't pay $5.00 for 20 plinking rounds!
Too bad Ruger does'nt give a ****. They've moved to the Ivory Tower with Harley-Davidson, as far as customer suggestions are concerned.
Joe

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey joe I know how ya feel, my X thought I was a cheap bastard, now thanks to her, I to am a Poor/cheap bastard!:( :beer:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ain't love grand!!! Yeah, about 20 grand.
Makes me hope that Robert Blake gets away with it. If any one needed killing, THAT slut sure did.
But in L.A., only primates that kill 2 white people walk.
J2H

·
Registered
716 Posts
Not to get off-subject or anything (JK), but be careful with depth on that firing pin. I've heard stories of the firing pin piercing the primer, resulting in the shell firing as expected, but the hole giving release to the explosion right into the chamber/your face. Not sure if this is true or not - just relaying something I've read.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Satan. That DOES make a lot of sense. Especially if I fired ammo with the softer boxer primers! I got a new USA 20 round mag to check out on Sunday, so I'll make sure I blaze off a few clipfulls from the hip, to be on the safe side. I lengthened the pin travel about .008. We'll see what happens. You may have "saved face" for me!!!
Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts