Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new mini and I am curious about an ejection issue. Occasionally when I manually retract the OP rod to unload the gun, the live round misses the ejector blade and is retained by the bolt. This typically happens when pulling the rod back slowly. Is this normal?

The gun functions fine, although I have had a couple of malfunctions with steel cased ammo. The only one I can remember the empty round ended up trying to feed back into the chamber like it didn't eject properly. It had a cracked neck, and I am uncertain if the neck crack caused the malfunction or if the malfunction caused the neck crack. Thanks for any advice.

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
I just tested your habit on my Mini. The bullet wouldn't "fling" out but instead would just fall from the bolt, so I did not get the same result you're describing.

If rounds eject without fail while shooting, then I wouldn't worry about it. There aren't very many real world scenarios I can think of in which you need to pull the op rod back slowly.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
If you pull faster its ok? It may have a bur on the face keeping it from getting a positive grip. Does the gun do this will all brands of ammo you have tried?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O.K., I just got back from running 60 flawless rounds through the Mini (different steel cased brand than before). No malfunctions of any kind, and as long as I retract the op rod with vigor, the loaded round is kicked out.

I think when I was pulling back slowly while trying to catch the loaded round with my other hand, I pulled the charging handle (and thus the bolt) starboard, pulling it away from the ejector blade.

I have both brass and steel cased ammo, but I prefer to shoot the steel as it is cheaper and easier to get. All is well in mini land, and thank for the help.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
By pulling slowly the tip of the bullet may have caught on the chamber.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i've done what your talking about, as a prerequisite to determining if a mag. will feed properly...(Tri70-- after filing the mags, so the casing slides... nicely) as far as i can determine.. if you cycle the action quickly.. the loaded round ejects... when you go slowly the bullet hits the ejection port (occasionally)... under normal operations, the bullet would not be on the casing as it ejects.... I think your fine....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does not compute

I have a new mini and I am curious about an ejection issue. Occasionally when I manually retract the OP rod to unload the gun, the live round misses the ejector blade and is retained by the bolt. This typically happens when pulling the rod back slowly. Is this normal? ... Thanks for any advice.
What you describe doesn't match any Ruger Mini-nn that I've ever seen. Has the bolt design been changed recently?

Ejector blade? That's something I'd expect on a 1903 Springfield, not a Mini, which uses, AFAIHS, the Garand style of ejector plunger embedded in the bolt face. If your cartridge isn't swinging out of the action as soon as the bullet tip clears the breach face, then you don't have proper spring pressure on the ejector plunger. The spring could be broken, collapsed, or the spring/plunger gummed up / stuck down in the bolt.

Disassemble that part of the bolt by carefully prying upward on the extractor. The shaft on which the extractor pivots also retains the ejector plunger. Be careful, but do this in a place where flying parts can be easily found, just in case something gets away from you. (Something almost certainly will, the first time you do this.) There are two fairly powerful springs involved; one for the ejector and one for the extractor plunger. Clean and re-lube the plungers and springs and re-assemble.

Best regards,
Dale

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a new mini, which means it is a ranch rifle with a fixed ejector/bolt stop. If it was an older non-ranch mini with a plunger ejector it would be broken for sure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ah, so.

It's a new mini, which means it is a ranch rifle with a fixed ejector/bolt stop.
I got a bit of an education today, researching the various production lots of Mini-14s. Well, I've been wanting to get a 580 anyway, so I guess I'll find out more about the details of the "fixed" ejector, when I finally buy one.

That said, since the ejector is on the bolt lock, I wonder if the ejector will catch the cartridge base in all possible positions of its movement.

Best regards,
Dale

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.