Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys, I'm thinking of having some fun and asking Accuracy Systems to convert my Mini to 5.45x39.

I think it sounds like a fun, interesting and unique project, and I am attracted to the idea of a rifle that is (1) cheeeeeep to shoot with the corrosive ammo out there, and (2) easier to clean than an AR.

Should probably do this in stainless.

Whatdya all think?

Any obstacles presented by the Mini platform?

Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Sounds like a great idea! The only thing I can think of high cap mags may be an issue.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I hope after you spend the money it will reliably shoot steel cased ammo. If it doesn't, that will be a bit of a problem.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
them military primers in the 5.45x39 steel case rounds will break "the pin" in no time.

·
Registered
311 Posts
There are a LOT of commercial mfg of 7.62x39 and 223, not so much commercial 5.45x39 (but I haven't really looked). When the surplus 5.45 dries up I'd imagine the typical commie ammo mfg would start cranking it out... but what if they don't? And even if they do it won't be "cheap" anymore if it's new commercial ammo.

One reason for my strong preference for 223 is that there is a lot of it produced domestically. One executive order could put a serious hurt on the imported 7.62x39 supply.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just me but I would keep the mini stock. If you want to shoot 5.45x39 get a AK. It would be cheeper in the long run.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
My research tells me than most if not all the cheap 5.45x39 ammo is Berdan primed. Strike #1-Berdan Primed ammo is hard on the Mini firing pins and they do break.

As far as ballistics go the 5.45x39 has nothing over the 223/5.56. Strike #2, more trouble than it is worth.

It will cost you about $800 to have ASI do your 5.45 conversion. Lots of Green Backs for little or no gain over the 223/5.56, Strike #3.

Custom rifles like an ASI conversion deserve quality ammo, otherwise what's the point? Strike #4, Going through the expense of a high dollar ASI conversion and still rely on cheap ammo.:(

Don't forget our friend's at RUGER. Oh no, they will be a big part of your conversion as well. Once you have ASI touch that Mini it becomes a real problem if anything should go wrong with it. Ya see, Ruger does not sell certain key parts for the Mini and they will NOT repair a customized Mini. Strike #5 , Something as simple as a broken firing pin will render that high dollar ASI Mini worthless/useless.

But with all that, ASI conversions are cool and very accurate, they just have a very short life span thanks to Ruger.

But, it's your dime, go for it if it makes you happy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
soo, pretty much, just get an ak74 and be done with it. same amount of money (probably less) out the door, and you have another 'toy' to show off at the range. win win!:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent comments folks.

The pin breakage and lack of available parts (absent sending back to Ruger) is a huge issue. I think that alone kills the idea. Many thanks to the guys who pointed this out.

I figured the mag issue wasn't a problem, as a ten rd. Mini mag kind of just functions as a seven round 5.45 mag (as has been the experience with AR mags)

Economics? Sure, its not a good economic proposition, just an expensive toy.

But the pin issue is a real risk.

This project is a no-go.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I'd do a .222 first. Or 6x45 before the Russian round Maybe some .222 Mini barrels somewhere with some looking. I had ASI put a heavy barrel .223 on a 181 receiver and if I had to do it all again, it would be 6x45. kwg

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I got off the phone with carl @ Accuracy Systems and a 5.45 conversion today. he said the barrel blank and re-barreling would cost $429 together. Then adding front sight would be an additional $50. He wasn't sure if the bolt face and or extractor would need worked and that that would be additional cost. He also said while there has been inquiries as to if it could be done no one has done it to date. If the wife lets me I may be the first one to do this thru Accuracy systems.

Now the logic behind it was the fact I got my Mini for $100 (so I am still into it less than a new AK74 here in alaska) and it hasn't been done yet. The 20 round mag will seat 20 rounds and they strip out easily leading me to think I can use the .223 mags reliably.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
OK Guys, I'm thinking of having some fun and asking Accuracy Systems to convert my Mini to 5.45x39.

<snip>
Sounds like an answer running around, willy nilly, looking for a question...

But it's your money... You take your chances with something like this, especially on future ammuntion availability. You may wind up converting the firearm back to stock when, and if, the available ammunitiion runs out.

However, you should listen to the advice other posters have put forward... Their advice was very good, especially the 6X45 advisor.

Bill

·
Registered
117 Posts
So I got off the phone with carl @ Accuracy Systems and a 5.45 conversion today. he said the barrel blank and re-barreling would cost $429 together. Then adding front sight would be an additional $50. He wasn't sure if the bolt face and or extractor would need worked and that that would be additional cost. He also said while there has been inquiries as to if it could be done no one has done it to date. If the wife lets me I may be the first one to do this thru Accuracy systems.

Now the logic behind it was the fact I got my Mini for $100 (so I am still into it less than a new AK74 here in alaska) and it hasn't been done yet. The 20 round mag will seat 20 rounds and they strip out easily leading me to think I can use the .223 mags reliably.

Fingers crossed.
Keep us posted on this project.

·
Registered
285 Posts
So I got off the phone with carl @ Accuracy Systems and a 5.45 conversion today. he said the barrel blank and re-barreling would cost $429 together. Then adding front sight would be an additional $50. He wasn't sure if the bolt face and or extractor would need worked and that that would be additional cost. He also said while there has been inquiries as to if it could be done no one has done it to date ...QUOTE]

You could get a Saiga in 5.45x39 for less than that price, tax included, that would be ready to go out of the box. Plus, you could always convert it to back to ak74 form later if you wanted. However, your idea is cool, if it would work reliably.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hope not. The best way to turn $500 worth of rifle into the $100 he paid for it would be to chamber for corrosive ammo with limited availability (and paying several $100 to have it done!). Why not rechamber an M14 clone into 7.5 MAS while you're at it? Or a Garand to 7.5 Swiss? Foolishment, the whole idea.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Hope not. The best way to turn $500 worth of rifle into the $100 he paid for it would be to chamber for corrosive ammo with limited availability (and paying several $100 to have it done!). Why not rechamber an M14 clone into 7.5 MAS while you're at it? Or a Garand to 7.5 Swiss? Foolishment, the whole idea.
Agreed...!

Why would a shooter want a 5.56X39 when the current military cartridge is 5.56X45?

Bill

·
Registered
63 Posts
Stainless doesn't stop the corrosive compounds, you need chrome. I would love a Mini in 5.45 but I wouldn't pay that to get one. If it was factory and the same price I would think about it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts