Perfect Union banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so its been a few months since I took my mini out and shot it, maybe even a year and it was raining that day. Well I didn't bother to clean it until today. I realized I didn't have a cleaning rod so I straightened out a wire coat hanger and made a little hook in one end. I don't have any patches so I used some steel wool that was a little rusty. But first I sprayed it down real good with some WD-40 and brake cleaner, forgot to disassemble the rifle first so I boogered up the stock a little bit with the WD-40 and brake clean.

The bolt did not want to come out so I used some locking pliers and wrestled it out finally, going to need to sand off some nicks and dings now. The bore was pretty clean after just a couple swipes with the steel wool, I think anyway, since it was squeeking. I reassembled my mini, had a hard time getting the bolt back in, of course nothing a few taps with a hammer didn't rectify. Remembered I was supposed to put some oil somewhere first but since I got it back together I just drizzled a bit of oil around the stock, into the chamber area and a splash down the barrel. I couldn't find my regular gun oil so I had to use some brake fluid, I figured it should be fine since I had used brake cleaner already.

Anyway, its back together and all lubed up ready to go. How did I do? Should I have used a different oil? I have some old gear oil, maybe I will use that next time I need to clean it.

Hopefully nobody really thinks I did all that. Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
dude this almost makes me cringe. if your bolts locked up soak it first, use a bore brush and actual patches. Buy some hoppes cleaner and for god sakes use grease man grease lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay so its been a few months since I took my mini out and shot it, maybe even a year and it was raining that day. Well I didn't bother to clean it until today. I realized I didn't have a cleaning rod so I straightened out a wire coat hanger and made a little hook in one end. I don't have any patches so I used some steel wool that was a little rusty. But first I sprayed it down real good with some WD-40 and brake cleaner, forgot to disassemble the rifle first so I boogered up the stock a little bit with the WD-40 and brake clean.

The bolt did not want to come out so I used some locking pliers and wrestled it out finally, going to need to sand off some nicks and dings now. The bore was pretty clean after just a couple swipes with the steel wool, I think anyway, since it was squeeking. I reassembled my mini, had a hard time getting the bolt back in, of course nothing a few taps with a hammer didn't rectify. Remembered I was supposed to put some oil somewhere first but since I got it back together I just drizzled a bit of oil around the stock, into the chamber area and a splash down the barrel. I couldn't find my regular gun oil so I had to use some brake fluid, I figured it should be fine since I had used brake cleaner already.

Anyway, its back together and all lubed up ready to go. How did I do? Should I have used a different oil? I have some old gear oil, maybe I will use that next time I need to clean it.

Hopefully nobody really thinks I did all that. Cheers.
Been a lurker for a while but man, you really had me sitting here shaking my head on this post. LMAO, good one. :D

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Locking pliers and a hammer??? Those are tools to use for an in-grown toe nail! Go to the Ruger web page and watch the online assembly videos. A little full synthetic oil will keep the rust. Wire coat hanger will help in a pinch but get a good rifle cleaning rod like a Dewy and brass jags.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There was some rust on the metal parts and the stock kind of had this blistered look, I suppose from having it out in the rain and not cleaning it right away. No problem, that steel wool along with the brake cleaner took care of that too. I had to rub it in pretty good but now my mini is all shiny and smooth. I must have taken some of the finish off, not to worry I have a can of black krylon for the metal and a can of deft wood finish for the stock, should work I would think.

Glad I got a couple laughs, we all need it from time to time. I got to thinking about all the kooky threads that get started with crazy questions and my story developed from there. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Whew... For a moment I thought this was a 'Ruger' sleeper cell. I was waiting to see if you were going to smack it against a tree.

·
Suck it Leftists!
7,946 Posts
Reminds me of an old friend that only had 4 tools in his tool box, a hammer, 2 screwdrivers, and a channel lock. and yes he could use them in ways no man could imagine.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Reminds me of an old friend that only had 4 tools in his tool box, a hammer, 2 screwdrivers, and a channel lock. and yes he could use them in ways no man could imagine.
Thats about whats in my tool box except add a 10 in cresent wrench and a pair of vice grips and a roll of 100 mph tape. I can fix just about anything!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts