Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ronin
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I plan to thread my Mini 14 (580 series) barrel and add a muzzle device to it. My questions are: 1)Where would you get a barrel threaded at? Would you just look around locally or ship it somewhere? 2) What device would you suggest? 3) About how much would this cost?
I'm wanting to have it threaded and have the orginal sight put back on right behind the threading like the picture that I attached shows. I would also like the device to not be too oversized compared to the barrel so it doesn't look out of place. I was really looking at the Spikes Tactical Dynacomp.

Spike's Tactical Dynacomp Extreme (5.56) [SBV1017] - $89.95 : Spikes Tactical

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wanted avoid shipping so I got mine done locally by randall at AR15barrels and he did a great job. Took him 2 hours to cut, thread, crown, index front sight, index compensator, and pin and weld. It is not cheap but it was worth it.

I haven't had a chance to check its long range accuracy with the new crown he put on but I have no doubts it will perform great.

if you're going to ship it out, gundoc is very knowledgable and professional. and I know everyone else is going to recommend him. there is also morgan at dallasshootingsupplies, he gave me the best price after factoring in shipping, when I was shopping around

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Gundoc is the best and most trusted mini 14 smith on this board. You can send him a PM and get rates for work to be done. It will be done right, he has a great reputation!

·
Ronin
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I should've asked how much this will set me back.

·
Ronin
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anybody know a good machine shop in Kansas?

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Strip the rifle down to just the barrel and receiver and weigh, the check with UPS to see the rates from your place to GD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My experience with barrel threading

I found a guy in MN who threads barrels. He threaded my Ruger SR-22 rifle and the results were perfect. The turnaround time was less than 4 weeks. I have only this one experience but would suggest you check out his website: www.jpgrips.com
His name is Jim Pixley.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey guys, I plan to thread my Mini 14 (580 series) barrel and add a muzzle device to it. My questions are: 1)Where would you get a barrel threaded at? Would you just look around locally or ship it somewhere? 2) What device would you suggest? 3) About how much would this cost?
I'm wanting to have it threaded and have the orginal sight put back on right behind the threading like the picture that I attached shows. I would also like the device to not be too oversized compared to the barrel so it doesn't look out of place. I was really looking at the Spikes Tactical Dynacomp.

Spike's Tactical Dynacomp Extreme (5.56) [SBV1017] - $89.95 : Spikes Tactical

Thanks!
There was a more fun option before you took it home. Buy one ready to go - TAC - 30. I bought an adapter and screwed my YHM on it and love the fact that it is stone quiet. If you get a suppressor and have a 30 cal - .308, 762x30 be advised they work almost as well on your 223 stuff Neat bonus, less tax, more fun. :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
As a DIYer I would like to know what diameter the barrel end is. I have a 181 series Mini with an M-14 style flash suppressor which works great but is pinned on.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I think the barrel is .560 diameter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here in the ATL area I highly recommend Gazaway Gazaway Machine & Tool Home Page (c)2008
Andy's a great guy and reasonable. Here's what I did:
I discussed with him threading my MINI-14 and my Ruger 10-22 TD model. While I was at it, I brought him the trigger assembly for my Mini-30. So when all was said and done, I ended up with two threaded rifles and two Mini's with a wonderful trigger job (including the screw that stops the trigger at the back side of the action.
Now all I've gotta do is get him the mini-30 for a threading job... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts