Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,,,,, Ok Ok, maybe its me....I went to my local outdoor range today. A bit windy, but a beautiful day. After setting my "sillouetted target" at 100 yards, I let her rip....Now here is the question? Does it matter that I did not produce (no scope) these beautiful 1.5 or even 2 inch groups or even 3 inch for that matter? What I did do however, is "punish" the upper torso and head area of a man sized figure at 100 yards, so much as to say, that If it was a poor soul, there would be not much left. I often read and hear about tight groups and MOA standards etc. Is this what is expected from a sitting position? or, are these tight groups from a bench/rest using scope etc? When I aimed at targets in the 200 yard neck of the woods, I was able to "group" my shots in about an area the size of a good sized man. Is this what's really important, or should one be able to shoot sub 3 inch groups? Does all of this (sighting) go out the window anyway, when you are facing an armed adversary in a low light situation and he is shoting back as well?? Thus, the 64 dollar question, whats more important????
Thanks
Larry C.

PS What does MOA mean anyway?

·
Registered
175 Posts
MOA-minute of angle essentially means that at 100 yards you have a 1" group, and someone correct me if im wrong, but it would also mean a 2" group at 200 yards etc.....
some out of the box mini's shoot very well, some dont, mine for example is a standard model, (non-ranch) out of the box it shot 6" at 50 yards and grouped around 10 inches at 100, i wasnt a bit satisfied with that, there are things you can do to make your mini shoot better, most of them are covered on this sight, things like tuning your gas block, changing stocks, i have wanted a hogue stock but havent done it yet, but the very best and cheapest thing you can do is install a 20 dollar muzzle brake, i put one on mine and it really made all the difference, now my 50 yard groups are around an inch and my 100 yard groups are hanging in there at 3 inches, i can live with that from an open sighted rifle, alot of folks have tried the muzzle brakes and i havent heard of anyone that didnt get an improvement, i think that if Ruger is going to continue putting skinny barrels on the mini's, (which is most of the reason they dont group tight) the mini's should leave the factory with some sort of brake or compensator installed.....good shootin...gut

·
Registered
160 Posts
If my Mini 14 can outshoot my Colt 1911, SIG 228, Ruger Mk II, Kel-Tec 9mm, Star Largo 9mm, Ruger Security Six and Beretta 96 I will be quite happy. :D

I didn't get it as a target rifle; there are FAR better choices in that regard. If I can 'nail' a man sized target with the Mini 14 at 50 yards, consistently and quickly, the rifle has done what I need it to do.

·
Registered
716 Posts
1 MOA (or Minute-Of-Angle) is defined as 1/60th of a degree (of a circle). Therefore in 360 degrees of view, there are 21,600 MOAs. If your bullet lands within 1/60th of a degree of where you aimed it, you are within 1 MOA.

To figure the distance from your aimpoint of a bullet traveling within 1 MOA, calculate the tangent of 1/60th of a degree times the distance traveled.

Therefore 1 MOA at 100 yards is approxiamtely 1.0472 inches.
For simplicity, just round to 1".

So 1 MOA places your bullet within 1/4" at 25 yards, 1/2" at 50, 1" at 100, 2" at 200, 18" at 1 mile, etc.

Too much information? Sorry - I'm an engineer. Its been beaten into me since day one...

·
Registered
18 Posts
i am neither an engineer nor a millwright; however, i do know that is darn good shootin' mini.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I anxiously await it's arrival. I will promptly deposit the check and then buy you a Mini-30 and send it to you as an act of good faith. :confused:

·
Registered
689 Posts
MW740 your the only other Millwright I've run into on the gunboards. Most of them nowadays call themselfs maintenance technicians (LOL). I work for one of the big3 at a grey iron foundry. Been a few times I wish I had been an electrician or a pipefitter though. Your correct not many people know what a Millwright is. It's still a good trade for a young guy to get into if he does'nt mind bending his back and getting dirty. I started out a long time ago in a small foundry were we did our fitting, welding,and hydraulics. I guess they call that multicraft nowadays. Have fun.;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have been a Millwright 31 years working a wonderful Ford.I served a 4 year apprenticeship and have a card that was issued by the good old US Dept of Labor with a reg. # on it and it says I am a Millwright.Part of the problem with the trade is that we no longer make most of our eq.,its made in small jobbers shops that call there people Millwrights,and pay them $10.50 an hour and blow smoke up there butts.Let them crawl up a crane in winter and repair it,or 100 ft. incline steel baler and unclog it,bull in 20 ton come-a longs.Its dangarous,hard,dirty work,but I wouldn't have traded for another job,because I LOVE it.Aldo

·
Registered
83 Posts
I love the work too. I got hurt pretty bad on 10/04/01 when a wire choker broke sending the hook from a come-along into my knee. We were breaking down a steam turbine. I've done alot of tubine/ power generation work and alot of conveyers in airports and distribution buildings. Anyway, I got a 4" deep hole in my knee that I had to have surgically repaired, and the docter still won't let me go back to work. The risk factor is part of the fun though. Check out the web site that I paste. I've got to go TIG weld now. I'm fortunate enough to live close to the apprentice school and I can go down and weld when ever I want. I'm x-ray certified for structural/ high pressure pipe welding and I love to TIG or arc weld just to pass the time. :usa:
http://mwron.tripod.com/home.html

·
Registered
162 Posts
Without making this the Millwright board.I am sorry to here of your injury,god knows we all have had them.One of my best friends was killed 2 years ago,25+ year millwright,a very good and safe one.a weld lift hook on a Destacker broke"it destacks the sheet metal automatically on a press line" 25 feet in the air and came down ontop of him,its weight was around 25 ton.The older I get "48 now"I feel that when your time is up,its up.I have the nice feature of having a full time welder in our crash crew.We do a lot of automation work.The smaller stuff is handled by a different trade"Machine Repair"We also have to deal with "lines of demarcation"between the different trades.But its a great trade for younger guys to get into.The only thing I have alot of is 450 robots Delamerica,Kawasucke,Robatron,Millwakee Millatron etc.,etc."pain in the ass"Aldo

·
Registered
689 Posts
Aldo I'm local 1260 UAW. I've been lucky no big injuries still have all my fingers cause I don't usem for a drift. MW740 I have'nt got to play with a tig in a long time. I have a friend who runs his dads small stamping plant and use one of theirs when I need one. Have a AC-DC lincoln here and tanks thats it. Sorry to hear about the knee I've had some cartilage fixed on my right knee and it sucked. We had some rigging break a few times and it's no fun. I've pulled enough belting in the last 20yrs to last me till I die. I work in the melt dept. and theres only 4 belts. I do alot of crane work now. It only sucks in the summer it gets a little warm. Gotta hit the hay now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.