Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been debating whether I should add another Ak to my collection or give my mini 14 a big brother. The Tactical Mini 30 is really nice, it's 16" and has a flash suppressor. I have heard they are picky about ammo which worries me because I use cheap 7.62 from Tula and Ulyanovsk for my AK. The Inter-Ordnance AK-C has synthetic furniture and is similar to a WASR except in that the stock is an RPK style. I think its obvious which is more expensive but thats only a minor price point.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a M30 & am considering an AK variant in some sort as well. The failure to fire rate with Tula, Wolf, etc...is just ridiculous in my M30 even with a Wolff spring.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking that a M30 would be a bad choice since I use the cheap stuff with my AK I have now. I really would like an arsenal AK but can't seem to have any luck finding them around here.

·
Registered
345 Posts
owning an sks before my mini 14 i thought the mini 30 would be a good choice so i could share ammo. after reading horror stories about russian ammo in the 30 inspite of rugers promo video i went the mini 14 route and am very happy. after an ar i have an ak on the wish list. you can never have too many ak's or ar's or minis or handguns or what ever else you can stuff in your gun safe. variety is a good thing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is true variety is a good thing my safe currently has: Winchester Model 94AE , Ruger Mini 14, Ruger SR 556, Century WASR-10/63 Under folder, and a Ruger 10/22......I need a good pistol or two lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
Your AK needs a friend to keep it company, Buy the Mini 30! I have never experienced any problems with my 581 series Mini 30 digesting the same Wolf Military Classic ammo wot my AK eats.

Smiling Bob :D

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
I've read of some M30 shooters giveing a good report of Wolf -' Military Classic' which seems to be a notch above the 'black box'
I have'nt tryed it in my M30 as I have no need to but have shoot the 'MC' 9X18 Makarov ammo in my Mak with good results.
IMO you should stick to brass cased ammo if possible in the M30, the factory recommends it for some reason.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you're already stocking inexpensive com-bloc ammo, I'd recommend sticking with the AKs. The Minis can be pretty picky, and you can spend a fair amount of time/effort chasing down the "right" combination of springs, gas ports, etc. to get quasi-reliable firing. Mags are also cheaper and less finicky than after-market Mini-30 mags.

That said, if you don't mind stocking US commercial loads as well, then I'd get the Mini. I had the 30 for about a year, and had great results using WWB and some hand loads a friend helped cook up. Loved the look, the action, and the reliability. Accuracy wasn't too bad either...I had a 581 series.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
the best buy on X39 ammo now is the Yugo ammo which does fine in the M30. just wash it after fireing - as it requires any other rifle that shoots it.
leave the Wolf 'Black Box' to the SK and AK shooters

·
Registered
756 Posts
If you're already stocking inexpensive com-bloc ammo, I'd recommend sticking with the AKs. The Minis can be pretty picky, and you can spend a fair amount of time/effort chasing down the "right" combination of springs, gas ports, etc. to get quasi-reliable firing. Mags are also cheaper and less finicky than after-market Mini-30 mags.

That said, if you don't mind stocking US commercial loads as well, then I'd get the Mini. I had the 30 for about a year, and had great results using WWB and some hand loads a friend helped cook up. Loved the look, the action, and the reliability. Accuracy wasn't too bad either...I had a 581 series.
+1 on that. I just got home from the range with my Russian-American converted Saiga. Not one failure to fire and I ran all kinds of wolf and other walmart crap thru it. All afternoon. Now my Mini-30, it's more acurate for sure but very picky on ammo - likes WWB and Hornaday.
You might be better off upgrading your ak.
That said, I love my Mini-14 tactical and it shoots whatever I feed it.
My Mini-30 will not shoot berdan primed ammo worth a hoot.

5L

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
Both are fine rifles, but I suggest the AK-47 over the mini-30, just because of parts availability.

AK-47 magazines are cheap

You can go to any gun show and get ak-47 spare parts

can you say the same about the mini-30?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been pleased with the accuracy and reliability of my Mini-30 Tactical. I've used a variety of commercial and military ammo. The only brand that's failed to fire occasionally is the Tula stuff in the white box. WOLF and Brown Bear have been fine.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
My opinon........

I prefer the ergonomics of the Mini 30.
However, these are over shadowed by the sheer durability of the AK47.
When was the last time you heard of an AK firing pin breaking with Wolf ammo?

·
Registered
602 Posts
IIRC some early mini-30s had .308 bores instead of .310-.311, which would explain why some don't like russian ammo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My mini 30 will not shoot the Tula ammo, I use Golden bear with no FTF $120 or so 500 rds. I understand you can put the more powerful spring in to shoot the cheaper ammo but then it will wear out or break the firing pin.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Problem solved. I'm building an AR-15 :p

·
Registered
582 Posts
Both are fine rifles, but I suggest the AK-47 over the mini-30, just because of parts availability.

AK-47 magazines are cheap

You can go to any gun show and get ak-47 spare parts

can you say the same about the mini-30?
Blasphemy! Say it isn't so! :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
because the AK is a shoot and spray gun, the mini at least the new ones like mine is a shooter 1/2" grouping at 50 yds and 1" at 100, I guess it depends if you are hunting with it or shooting dirt clods...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.