Perfect Union banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The topic of Mini 30 reinforcement brackets came up in another thread. A member posted that Numrich had the old 189 series brackets in stock. I didn't hesitate a second on placing an order. I've been chasing a 189 bracket for a few years. Numrich has not had them in stock in either blue or stainless for ages.

I have my 30 Tactical set up in a 189 series wood stock. Tactical add ons such as the Pic rail for a light and the QD sling cup attachments for the Vickers sling. Metal "headcracker" butt plate also added. That stock is in very good shape but has been refinished. Doesn't matter as I have modified it to fit my desires.

A number of years back I scored a mint 189 series stock from 40NASCAR. Couldn't find any 189 series Mini 30 stock hardware any place so I used that hardware on the Tactical stock setup and NASCARS stock had been sitting naked. I wanted to get it serviceable. A couple years ago I saw ASI had the stock reinforcement brackets in stock so I ordered one. Upon receiving I noticed it was "different" than the old 189 series.

The support brackets on the assembly is reversed. The metal is much thicker and installation places the bracket face too far inboard. The action will fit into the stock and lock but the mag will not insert. Darn.....NOT going to modify this stock in an attempt to make things work. Especially when I don't know if they will work. Back into the squirrel pile and the "hunt" continues for the correct bracket.

Fast forward to present. I got my 189 series bracket from Numrich the other day. As advertised in being "CORRECT". I installed it this morning. Action inserts and the mags insert into the rifle. Done deal. The mint stock is in working order. I'll store it away for a time that it may be needed.

Just a public service announcement to warn those members that may be attempting to set up an older 189 series stock. My Tactical is stainless and the only brackets available from Numrich are blued. Not a factor. You don't notice it when installed in the gun.

The pics are the "new" style bracket in stainless. The correct 189 is blue. You can see the support L's are reversed. Good luck in your Mini ventures.

Regards Bepe

Wood Tool Font Metal Hardwood
Wood Hardwood Automotive exterior Wood stain Strap

Brown Wood Wood stain Hardwood Pattern

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bepe I ordered a mini 30 reinforcement bracket from Numrich the other day, post 580 series. I have a 580 series wood stock I'm working on refinishing I hope it all comes together well. Thank you for posting that with pics.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Numrich is usually spot on in correctly labeling their inventory. I'd wager you will be good on the 580 series bracket for your 580 series stock. Obviously a difference in design and inletting.

I'm guessing that Numrich got the remaining supply of older curved butt plate brackets from Ruger. I've been checking periodically and they have not had the 189 bracket in stock for a few years.

If you have a 189 series stock and need a bracket....I'd suggest buying one quick. They may go extinct after this run sells out.

Bepe

·
Registered
187 Posts
The topic of Mini 30 reinforcement brackets came up in another thread. A member posted that Numrich had the old 189 series brackets in stock. I didn't hesitate a second on placing an order. I've been chasing a 189 bracket for a few years. Numrich has not had them in stock in either blue or stainless for ages.

I have my 30 Tactical set up in a 189 series wood stock. Tactical add ons such as the Pic rail for a light and the QD sling cup attachments for the Vickers sling. Metal "headcracker" butt plate also added. That stock is in very good shape but has been refinished. Doesn't matter as I have modified it to fit my desires.

A number of years back I scored a mint 189 series stock from 40NASCAR. Couldn't find any 189 series Mini 30 stock hardware any place so I used that hardware on the Tactical stock setup and NASCARS stock had been sitting naked. I wanted to get it serviceable. A couple years ago I saw ASI had the stock reinforcement brackets in stock so I ordered one. Upon receiving I noticed it was "different" than the old 189 series.

The support brackets on the assembly is reversed. The metal is much thicker and installation places the bracket face too far inboard. The action will fit into the stock and lock but the mag will not insert. Darn.....NOT going to modify this stock in an attempt to make things work. Especially when I don't know if they will work. Back into the squirrel pile and the "hunt" continues for the correct bracket.

Fast forward to present. I got my 189 series bracket from Numrich the other day. As advertised in being "CORRECT". I installed it this morning. Action inserts and the mags insert into the rifle. Done deal. The mint stock is in working order. I'll store it away for a time that it may be needed.

Just a public service announcement to warn those members that may be attempting to set up an older 189 series stock. My Tactical is stainless and the only brackets available from Numrich are blued. Not a factor. You don't notice it when installed in the gun.

The pics are the "new" style bracket in stainless. The correct 189 is blue. You can see the support L's are reversed. Good luck in your Mini ventures.

Regards Bepe

View attachment 65780 View attachment 65781

View attachment 65782
Bepe, I just went out to my shop and confirmed what I suspected....that bracket you got from ASI is for a Mini 14, not the Mini 30. I have several extra of each to compare and just to be sure, popped open one each of my Mini 14 and 30s. I also have both the 180 and 582 series Mini 30s and the brackets are exactly the same.
I don't know if ASI would refund you now, but at least you now know what you have. Maybe keep it for another Mini 14 stock or sell/ trade it. Glad you got just what you needed though. I think I waited too long to grab one of those metal replacement buttstock plates.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the Mini 30 bracket. Thinking that ASI sent a Mini 14 bracket, I actually ordered a second "Mini 30" bracket. I received the exact same bracket twice. Maybe some employee filled the stock bin with the wrong product. Person pulling the order was on auto pilot.

Anyhow.....not worth my bother to send back. One went in the trash. I'll hang on to the second one. Been a couple of years anyhow.

Thanks for the info on the brackets. I have what I need now.:rolleyes:
Bepe

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered the Mini 30 bracket from ASI. First one didn't work. Thinking maybe a mistake I ordered a second Mini 30 bracket.

The second one was identical to the first.

SAN14 says that they sent me Mini 14 brackets. I can't confirm as I don't have a Mini 14.

All I know is that both brackets wouldn't work Not even close on the inletting. As you can see in the pic the L shaped leg is located on the opposite side of the bracket on the ASI example.

Moot point as I now have the proper bracket.

Bepe

·
Formerly "raf"
3,879 Posts
Seems like Mini-30 stock reinforcements are still hard to get, for some reason.

Owning only a Mini-14, and that being in a syn stock, not my immediate concern, but I sympathize with folks seeking the correct parts.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
good post BEPE I communicate with 40NASCAR (Mark) some from time 2 time, he helped me out with a hard to find SKS part.
we have the same series 30, the 189. I installed the steel butt plate also. pipe dream is the M1A1 type plate for cleaning/parts kit. doubtful not enough width though.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have to take SAN14 's word as fact on the ASI brackets being Mini 14. If so, it doesn't instill a bunch of confidence in me about ASI. Once OK. Twice...somebody is asleep at the switch. No Mini 14 here. Not needed. I'll hang on to it in case somebody needs one.
Musical instrument Wood Musical instrument accessory Hardwood Wood stain

Marlin, tell Mark I said hello if you talk to him. A shame all the good guys have been banned.

Pic of my headcracker. I'll take a pic of NASCAR's stock later on.

Bepe

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I'll let him know, he texts memes to me some, right humorous the latest. yeah man he was right much asking to get the hammer, wonder I didn't surely back when usmc was trolling, and of course free - who never shows on the mini pages,
I swapped the steel butt plate, no plastic for me. sort of surprised Bill used plastic to begin with, I'm planning on wood handguard later on.
ou haven't told me what you thought of my 30 - it's posted in the photos section - only 30 with a bayonet mounted AFAIK.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw your pic IMA. Your 30 looks good. Nothing cooler looking than the old curved butt plate stocks.

If I had a Mini 14 stock to begin with I wouldn't mind on taking the tools to it. These 189 Mini 30 stocks are rare as hens teeth. Never mind one in pristine condition. No way I was going to modify it in an attempt to get that bracket to work. That stock is a spare so not like I had a rifle that was down.

All worked out in the end.

Bepe

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just thought that I’d mention that for my faux M1a build I retapped the holes in the mini reinforcement for the larger M14 stock two pin screws. The mini30 action/liner worked [with a lot of modding] at that location in the stock. Didn’t know if anyone had noticed. Attention to the small details of a build make it a better build.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Fender

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll let him know, he texts memes to me some, right humorous the latest. yeah man he was right much asking to get the hammer, wonder I didn't surely back when usmc was trolling, and of course free - who never shows on the mini pages,
I swapped the steel butt plate, no plastic for me. sort of surprised Bill used plastic to begin with, I'm planning on wood handguard later on.
ou haven't told me what you thought of my 30 - it's posted in the photos section - only 30 with a bayonet mounted AFAIK.
👋

1 - 19 of 19 Posts