Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks my first time here, but I am a member of several firearms forums and an avid hunter. I hear a ton of mixed results with the majority being "the new mini 30's are just not that much more accurate than the old ones". You hear people swearing that the Mini has a wandering zero, while others say it is a routine 2 MOA shooter and consistent in its zero. I am intrigued as the little rifle looks more like a traditional rifle than an AR type rifle. I can shoot an AR pretty good with a 4X scope producing 1 MOA groups with Barnes 62 grain TSX bullets over 24 grains of TAC. The appeal of the little Mini 30 is less muzzle blast, handier, looks more traditional, will be scoped of course and Ruger supplies the rings.

Will I as a bolt gun and AR15 shooter be disappointed in the 100 yard accuracy of a Mini 30 if I am expecting a 2MOA gun with reloads or factory hunting ammunition? The wandering zero thing would be the deal killer however, I had a Benelli R1 that accomplished that quite neatly and lasted 3 months!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Wandering zero?

Not sure about the wandering zero thing.

Only thing is that being a Garand type action the Mini may shift zero when it is taken out of it's stock and then reassembled. Our match M1s and M1As were never taken out of their stocks unless we were willing to shoot 20 or more rounds to settle the actions back into the bedding and then recheck our zeros.

YMMV

This appears to be one advantage of the AR system. I was surprised when I obtained some surplus 603 and 604 uppers. Found most are already zeroed or within a couple of clicks of zero no matter which of my lowers I dropped them onto. Been shooting Garands and, later, M1As and Minis for nearly 40 years. Only got my first AR less than 3 years ago. ARs are fun but the Garand is my still my favorite.

Re: chemcat9's post below re: accuracy. All the Minis I've owned have been 181s & 182s - my friends too. Never really had a problem with accuracy - easily shot 2"-3" at 100 yards 5 shot groups with good factory or reloads. (This was irons and a while ago as my eyes are going and 2" at 50 is the norm now). As chemcat9 said - good ammo. Only thing is stringing and flyers when hot - shouldn't be problem if you're hunting. Unless you get charged by the 50+ Axis deer herds in upcountry Maui - the deer are running wild according to my friend. Hard to hunt cause large herds = many ears and noses to detect armed humans.:) Advantage goes to axis deer as ecological struggle looms - this article is 10 years old which means there could be 1000s of deer on Maui by now.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
7.62x39 will make a nice deer round with proper bullets. Its right there with the 30-30 Winchester power wise. Also use of PSP bullets will will help for a little more range. A Mini 30 should shoot around 2 MOA out of the box so if you keep the ranges about the same as you would with a 30-30 it will do just fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jeff,

What type of ammunition did you shoot to get the 2 MOA? How old is your rifle? Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
welcome to the Perfect Union Jimmy.
I have a 189 series M30 I use for 'doe day' sometimes, others I use a .50 muzzleloader. 3 shots, 3 does.
I would recommend you use a 150 gr load if available but the 123gr sp's will do well under 150 yds on smaller deer with good placement.
some 'tweaking' as described in threads here will net accuracy gains no doubt.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
It's my buddy's Mini 30 I shoot a 14. His hunting rounds are his own loads, heavy bullet 154 grain soft points I believe. I have seen him kill 3 mule deer in the past 3 years with it. We hit the range together a couple times a month, next time I see him I'll find out what model his mini is. I do know its 4 years old.

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
I hear a ton of mixed results with the majority being "the new mini 30's are just not that much more accurate than the old ones". You hear people swearing that the Mini has a wandering zero, while others say it is a routine 2 MOA shooter and consistent in its zero.
!
All true! The New Mini 30's are no more accurate than the old ones, in fact maybe less accurate and also less reliable.
Yup, wandering Zero Big Time, no body here has been able to show proof that the Mini-30 can shoot a consistent 2 inch group at 100 yards. Just can't be done I guess. Stick with the AR, may be ugly but at least you will hit what you aim at, kinda important don't ya think.

·
large member
2,089 Posts
;)
All true! The New Mini 30's are no more accurate than the old ones, in fact maybe less accurate and also less reliable.
Yup, wandering Zero Big Time, no body here has been able to show proof that the Mini-30 can shoot a consistent 2 inch group at 100 yards. Just can't be done I guess. Stick with the AR, may be ugly but at least you will hit what you aim at, kinda important don't ya think.
yeah, but everybody knows with an AR, you are taking your chances as they jam at least half of the time! :eek: but agree with you there, they are ugly! :wacko:

i thought since we were rehashing internet gossip, i would go ahead and throw out some of my own. i don't know about mini 30's, but my mini 14 hits what i am at. and don't we have any new material, steve? this routine is a little wore out....... don'tcha think? zzzzzzz.......

to any AR fans....my apologies. i don't hate AR's, but steve4102 is certainly trying to convince me to hate them ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve, did you buy a Mini 30 and experience a wandering zero? Was it a wood stocked or plastic stocked gun, stainless or blue? What type of ammunition were you using? Thanks for your feedback.

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
Steve, did you buy a Mini 30 and experience a wandering zero? Was it a wood stocked or plastic stocked gun, stainless or blue? What type of ammunition were you using? Thanks for your feedback.
My Mini-30 is one of the old wood/blued from the 80's with a .308 bore. It was a good shooter and almost made the MOA club here. To keep the groups tight and consistent I always had to dump the first round into the backstop. Otherwise, 1to1-1/2 inch groups would open way up. The first shot was always way off in any unknown direction from the others. Not a great thing for a hunting situation. I only use handloads.

Go here and read posts 6,7 and especially 8.
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/81436-giveaway-3-a.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that thread sure has me thinking now. For my AR its the last shot when the bolt locks open that is sometimes off. Maybe I need to rethink, the 300ACC blackout is about the same as the 7.62 x 39, the uppers are just so much more expensive.

At the same time if the first round is way off, its just not a good hunting tool

·
Registered
135 Posts
Loved hunting with the Mini30 so much I have not shot a deer or hog in 7 years in Texas with anything but the Mini 30 and mini 14. I just get close 100yds or less and they go down.

I have a stock 80's Mini 30 and no wandering first shots.

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
that thread sure has me thinking now. For my AR its the last shot when the bolt locks open that is sometimes off. Maybe I need to rethink, the 300ACC blackout is about the same as the 7.62 x 39, the uppers are just so much more expensive.

At the same time if the first round is way off, its just not a good hunting tool
What the difference between the 300 Blackout and the 300 Whisper? Both are just a necked up 221 Fireball.

How about the 30 Grendel or should I say the 30 Walker. A 6.5 Grendel case necked up to 308. Lots more power that the Blackout and still runs well in the AR platform.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Glad to see you made ot over here. And FWIW...there are trolls everywhere.

ie: "2010 Ruger Bashing Champion"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
big green is loading for the blackout, AAC is part of freedom group, uses standard bolt and magazine

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
big green is loading for the blackout, AAC is part of freedom group, uses standard bolt and magazine
Is the only difference between the AAC and the 300 Whisper in the name or is there some real differences in dimensions? I see Redding makes dies for the 300 Whisper and Forster makes dies for the AAC, but are they actually the same cartridge?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here we go again!! Another new guy with no idea as to what is going on calling me out!! Wanna Play, bet I Win.
Called it like I see it. I don't play, and this is the last response you will ever get from me. I don't have the time or inclination to banter words with someone I do not know, never will know, nor care to become aquainted with. You are a self proclaimed "basher" of a product that happens to be the central topic of this very message forum. The term "Troll" my kind sir, is merely a descriptive term for self banner you have chosen, "Ruger Bashing Champion." I just called it like I saw it.
"A rose by any other name, is still a rose."

Thank you sir, and good day.

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
Called it like I see it. I don't play, and this is the last response you will ever get from me. I don't have the time or inclination to banter words with someone I do not know, never will know, nor care to become aquainted with. You are a self proclaimed "basher" of a product that happens to be the central topic of this very message forum. The term "Troll" my kind sir, is merely a descriptive term for self banner you have chosen, "Ruger Bashing Champion." I just called it like I saw it.
"A rose by any other name, is still a rose."

Thank you sir, and good day.
Ah, come on, don't go away mad. After all you have only posted 162 times in almost three years. Stick around, do some digging and find out what you think you already know about me.
You are correct, I am the 2010 "Ruger Bashing Champ" and I make no apologies for it. Trolling, not so much, I leave that up to the guys like you that only pop in now and then just to start trouble.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sometimes it is best to be silent, and be thought a fool, rather than to speak, and remove all doubt.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts