Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. This is my first post and I need a little help. Just bought a used Mini 30. Took it to the range today to function check to see how she runs. Rifle operated perfectly with the exception of shooting very low at 25 & 50 yds. I ran the peep sight all the way up to max elevation, still shooting low (18 inches at 50 yds. Loads were Fiocchi 123's. Anyone have a clue??

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Try some different ammo first off. I would try a few different brands.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hello all. This is my first post and I need a little help. Just bought a used Mini 30. Took it to the range today to function check to see how she runs. Rifle operated perfectly with the exception of shooting very low at 25 & 50 yds. I ran the peep sight all the way up to max elevation, still shooting low (18 inches at 50 yds. Loads were Fiocchi 123's. Anyone have a clue??
Factory front sight?

·
Registered
74 Posts
If it shoots low with all types of ammo, take a file to the range with you and file down the front sight a little at a time until it prints where you want it to.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I would check a few other thing before I started filing down the front sight. First would be different ammo, then stock fit and if the barrel is not bent. Ruger may have different hight aperture's for the rear sight. Also the rear sight is not broke and actually moving up. Filing the front would be a fix, but a last resort fix.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I would check a few other thing before I started filing down the front sight. First would be different ammo, then stock fit and if the barrel is not bent. Ruger may have different hight aperture's for the rear sight. Also the rear sight is not broke and actually moving up. Filing the front would be a fix, but a last resort fix.
+1 - agree that filing down front sight should not be done till all factors listed by Jeff F are checked.

Again - is the front sight a factory front sight and is the rear sight a factory sight? Aftermarket front sights are sometimes made higher than necessary to allow adjustment to achieve a proper zero.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both front and rear sights are factory type as near as I can tell. Neither are broken and the rear works fine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Try a different ammo. In my M30 Tactical, Lapua ammo (fancy Finnish stuff) shoots way lower than Wolf, Silver Bear, MFS, and Yugo milsurp.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
my 189 series M30 required fileing down the front sight a bit even with the rear ran to the top of travel.
set the rear midways in travel and then file front down bit-by-bit until the POI is dead center at 50yds. or that's what I did.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Adjust the gas block screws, this will affect the poi and help tighten groups. Try to even the torque and gap, as equal as you can, is best done with a torque wrench that is set to inch/lbs.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
If you are new to shooting, could be that you a flinching a little. With the long creepy factory trigger, that is easy to do. Before you make permanent alterations to your factory sighting parts, I would consider getting a trigger smoothing job done first. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, you guys have some good advice here. I thank you all. I'm gonna try different ammo but if that doesn't work, I'm gonna try filing the front sight a little. Yeah, the trigger is bad, gritty, but I can make the best of that. It breaks at exactly the same place everytime.
I'm certainly not the best rifle shot, but not bad either. Good gunsmiths are hard to find around here.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
easy does it w/the file and don't forget to set the rear sight a bit lower than mid-height - about 1/4 of travel from bottom should do fine.
and welcome to the Mini page of PU. keep us posted and check 'GunDoc' for trigger work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts