Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got approved to SBR my 582 Mini 30 Tactical. I plan to take the barrel down to 12" and run it suppressed most of the time. I have read threads by people that have either SBR'ed a mini, or suppressed a mini, but cannot find advice from someone who has done both.

Obviously, I would want the rifle to cycle flawlessly suppressed AND unsuppressed, while eliminating gas blowback in my face. This makes me think I need an ASI adjustable gas block.

However, I am assuming that I will need to widen the gas port in the barrel due to cutting off 4 inches. Will widening the barrel gas port give me problems with the adjustable gas block?

Does anyone here have info / experience on doing a suppressed SBR mini?

Thank you very much for any advice you can offer!

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
The mini gas system is set up around the stock barrel length so the port may need to be opened up. This will be interesting set up for sure!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spoke with a few gunsmiths who have assured me that they can make it cycle reliably suppressed and unsuppressed. They said the adjustable gas block would be a mistake and foul easily. I guess I would have to live with gas in the face if this is true.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
If you shoot one load standard velocity then you could use the gas bushings to regulate some of the gas. If you you shoot a lot of sub sonic ammo you may not need the bushing reduced.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
Open the gas port up to the same size as an AC556.

fyi, wear safety glasses with a suppressed mini as it throws crap in your face

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will be shooting silver bear 123gr HP exclusively, so that is the only round I need to worry about.

So let me make sure I'm getting this straight:

1. Open up gas port
2. Get a bushing set and hope to cut down gas as much as possible, while keeping the rifle reliable.
3. If there is still too much gas in my face, get an adjustable gas block and hope to cut down blowback more

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After thinking about it, my previous post seems counterintuitive. I know I will need a larger gas port to cycle the action after shortening the barrel. I would think dropping in a smaller bushing would counteract the effect of widening the gas port. (I don't know if they make bushings larger than the factory bushing on a mini30).

Would I be better off opening the gas port on the barrel, then installing an adjustable gas block from ASI in order to reduce the amount of gas in my face when shooting suppressed?
The suppressor would increase back pressure and mimic the effect of having a standard length barrel.

I could turn down the gas when shooting suppressed, and open it up when firing unsuppressed.

Is this logical? Any experience with this? Thanks guys

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here is another grade-schooler photoshopped picture of what it will look like with the suppressor in the folder. Yes, that is a mini14 30rounder in it, but it reliably feeds about 10 rounds of 7.62x39

·
Registered
69 Posts
if you dont mind id like to jump in to your thread with some questions of my own. also if you have any update to your research pls post it

i've got the same rifle; ive just mounted a silencerco omega suppressor on it with the flash hider mount. i've not modified the gas block otherwise, and its the stock 16" barrel

so before i go test fire this thing ive got a few questions:

1) with standard supersonic ammo, should i expect the rifle to cycle?
2) i shoot lefty...am i going to get a big shot of hot gas to the face?
3) i have some 220gr subs from engle; they say they shoot fine out of an AK and cycle the action, but i'm a little worried about that big bullet and the mini's barrel twist. any thoughts?

my goal would be that both the 123's and the 220's cycle the action while suppressed, hopefully without blasting my face with gas. even if the 220's make it a single shot, that would be ok as i can cycle the action by hand

any real world experience here?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.