Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never reloaded 7.62X39mm.

I am thinking about reloading for my Mini-30. When I measured the bore the other day with calipers, it was a tad over .308.

Is this a normal bore size, for a series 189 Mini-30?

What size bullets would give the best accuracy for this bore?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
you will get some replys here one being did you 'slug' the bore?
my 189 M30 is .310 bore. I'm working on hopefully loading an expanding 150gr sp slug for mine.
try 4198 powder and easy on the sizer die. except for neck.
welcome to the PefectUnion Forum

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have heard of "slugging" a bore.

How do you accomplish it?
for a 30 cal barrel you will need a 32 cal lead round ball or round fishing sinker of similar size and 3 to 4 six to eight inch sections of 1/4 inch dowel rod and hard mallet or hammer.

press the lead ball into the muzzle by had as much as you can use the mallet to push the lead ball into the muzzle then drive the dowel rod pieces one at a time with the mallet to push the lead ball through the bore until the lead ball falls into the chamber retrieve the now formed lead ball and measure with calipers the groove and land markings in the lead ball.

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
slug the bore

yeah Wolf gave the rundown but lube the bore well too with a thin spray as WD and wipe too then drive the lead thru.
or Slick50 spray

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ruger uses .308 barrels for the Mini 30, so use .308 bullets.
Most every other rifle chambered in 7.62 x 39 uses barrels with a .311 bores.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Ruger uses .308 barrels for the Mini 30, so use .308 bullets.
Most every other rifle chambered in 7.62 x 39 uses barrels with a .311 bores.
thats not entirely true ruger has had both .308 bores and .310 bores this is why you need to slug your bore.....

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
You can slug the bore or you can call Ruger. Give them the serial number and they can tell the bore size.

Mine is a 189 series and had a .308 bore.

·
Registered
154 Posts
slugged the barrel today and it is in fact .310 it does'nt hurt to double check.Thanks for the advice,it also gave me a chance to do my first slugging and its simple to do at home. I went by the you tube video on how to slug a barrel.

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
danny - if you can find them the Hornady 123gr VMax .310 slug shot well in my M30. it preferred 4198 powder.
I do not consider it adequate for large deer though as it violently expands and I'm guessing any contact with twigs/branches would adversely affect it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Speer TNT .308/125 Gr HP's work good in my Ruger Mini-30. Highly recommended. These same bullets work very good in my FNAR in .308, as well.
There are a host of reloaders that use the .308 diameter bullets in their Ruger Mini-30's, regardless if the diameter is .310 or .308. These aren't exactly tack drivers to begin with. Good shooting!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here is the 5 shot group after slugging (.310) glad I did that,the ranch model is stock, scoped with a cheap 3x9x32 tasco I had but its holding up so far. This is my first reloads for the mini next will be the 123gr. hornady. The flier was my fault,I thought I was missing and just shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
well obviously that's good shooting Danny. off a rest was it?
I had promising results with the Speer 150 gr myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
best hunting wishes to all!!!
reading these posts with great interest as I too have a 189 series Mini-Thirty Ranch Rifle and want to hunt with it this season. Anyone tried the new Hornady FTX 160 grain yet? For a 100-125 yard round, I would think it would make a good one. Tomorrow I plan on getting a set of LEE dies and was thinking about the FTX or am I dreaming as far as performance goes? Haven't read any posts of anyone taking a deer with a 150 grainer to compare with the 123-125 loads that seem to perform well, but then just started my 'reserchin' today !!
I topped my rifle with a Bushnell Trophy XLT using the ruger rings, would I be better off with something different?
looking forward to some useful input, thanx in advance.
TB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts