Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a midwestern state that classifies ak-47,sks assault weapons.I am interested in any bodys thoughts concerning the mini-30 as a tool for self preservation/hunting.My alternitive would be the springfield m1a,but the cost is a concern unless i can drive it to. would apreciate any inteligent thoughts thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dusty,
It's quite a jump, from a fairly light weight Mini-30 to an M1A. The ruskie 7.62 x39 is pretty low power compared to the 7.62 NATO(.308 cal). You should give careful consideration to what you intend to use the rifle for. That M1A is no lightweight and it will definately reach out there and change minds at 600+ yds. As you mentioned,they also cost over a grand. The Mini-30 on the other hand is cheap, not too heavy, and will do the job out to a couple hundred yards. If you plan on killing home invaders as they come down the hallway towards your bedroom, the mini-30 would be easier to point. If it's the annual deer, and bad guys climbing out of those black helicopters 500 yds across the field from Fort Home you plan on taking out, I'd go with the M1A.
I noticed you didn't mention a .223 shooter on your wish list. Have you considered a AR-15 or mini-14? They are chambered for the .223 and there's a ton of that stuff everywhere. It's a damn fine round too. It will do a job on deer out to 150 yards or so with good hand loads. And if you want to shoot 300-400 yard prarie dogs, all you have to do is get a bolt action Savage or Remington with a scope and you're shooting. Try that with a 7.62 x 39.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am guessing by your question that you cannot own/possess AK's or varients, also an AR,HK91,SKS,AR10 etc. But Garand,M14/M1A, mini 14/30's are OK. Fill us in there. Also you don't have much money. If both are true, then you are looking for an alternative, because something is better than nothing.?? I am also assuming you want high cap mags out of the deal. Mikes description is right. It's light, handy, and I personally think the mini 14/30 action is strong and reliable. Accuracy will be average and often the subject of hot debate. Reliable high cap mags will be something you will have to deal with. Soft point at 100 - 150 yrds for medium size game. You won't pick off tiny little critters at 150 yards though. What you get also depends on your own personal version of WTSHTF. If you can, save your money and get the M1A. If that is out of reach the mini 30 is fine. Also I have seen the muzzle brake on ARS's web site. You could get an AR for the price of a mini and brake but if you cannot own an AR, the brake might just be worth it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd suggest the standard 10-round fixed mag SKS. If the Mini-14 (.223) is any indication, you will play merry hell getting decent hi-capacity mags, so if you are stuck with 10 rounds you may as well go with the better reliability (and possibly better accuracy?) of the SKS. Paying half (or even less) of the Mini-30 cost wouldn't hurt either (put the savings into accessories and ammo).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I apreciate your comments gentlemen,but I have decided to go with a yugoslovian ak chambered in .308 nato,the best of both worlds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts