Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used Mini 30 series 58? with a ProMag 10 round Mag. Many failure to feeds. Using WPA steel case. Ammo feeds and works flawless with my CIA Saiga AK47.
I strongly suspect the magazine is the issue. Anyone use the mag and have issues?

·
Registered
15 Posts
just stick with factory ruger mags dude. everything else seems to suck, but differs by person. Buy a factory mag, retry. Try Tula ammo i dont have a problem with it

·
Registered
33 Posts
are you using the lacquered or poly coated rounds ? the coating can prevent the cartridges from rotating within the magazine . try the silver or golden bears and see how they function .

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
WPA generally doesn't work in the Mini-30 for reasons that have been stated hundreds of times on these threads. Shoot brass/boxer, Yugo surplus or silver or gold bear (barnaul-russian) and your mini will run trouble free. If you use Yugo surplus clean well after shooting as it is corrosive primed ammo. Good luck.
Also re: the mags, I can get the first 7 or 8 in the promag to work then it jams. For 10 rnd mags I use USA brand (No longer made - scarce) and they work perfectly they have slight curvature like the AK mags. USA is stamped on the bottom of the floorplate. Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Plus one for 40nascar on this and well said. I have always used American made brass/boxer ammo for the Mini 30. I have had zero malfunctions of any kind. I use the 5 round Ruger mag a lot for shooting from the bench. It slows things down a little and makes for better shooting (ie, cooler barrel, less ammo wasted and the mag fits flush).
As for the higher capacity mags, I prefer the Ruger factory mag (best made). I also have a couple of the USA 30 round mags that function flawlessly. IMHO, anything else is just going to be a problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No problems with the promag when using brass cased ammo. The mag doesn't want to lock in when the slide is closed with a full 10 rounds, try 9 and you should be fine or load up with the slide locked back. Don't think there are factory 10 rounders for the thirty, but there is always the 20 rounders which work great.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
No problems with the promag when using brass cased ammo. The mag doesn't want to lock in when the slide is closed with a full 10 rounds, try 9 and you should be fine or load up with the slide locked back. Don't think there are factory 10 rounders for the thirty, but there is always the 20 rounders which work great.
I don't know where the O.P. lives, but those of us who live in NY or Ca. are limited to 10 rnd mags, accept for older grandfathered pre-ban mags.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can only buy 20 rounders in state, but can go to VA and buy anything and legal to bring back. Go figure. Picked up 4 Ruger 20 rounders and see how it works.

I don't know where the O.P. lives, but those of us who live in NY or Ca. are limited to 10 rnd mags, accept for older grandfathered pre-ban mags.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts