Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I ordered a hi-cap Mini-Thirty magazine from TAPCO.

Eagle International, Inc. brand, 18-shot. Plastic body. Fits in the well very losely. Will not feed rounds unless pressure is applied on the bottom of the mag, pushing it forward (did this with a big rubber band). After the first round is fired, the magazine pops out of the well and falls to the ground. (and it's not because of the rubber band.

Excellent design! :rolleyes:

I can tell just by looking at it, that it isn't even worth fiddling with to try and fix it. Its just a basically poor design. For $39.99 + S&H, its going right back!

My quest continues for a Reliable, quality hi-cap magazine for my Mini-thirty. Anyone who knows better brands, help!

·
Registered
224 Posts
But I seem to recall hearing or reading somewhere that a mini 14 mag would work in a '30 but hold less rounds. But I'm not at all familiar with the 30 and just learning anout the 14...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry dude, I just tried to use a Ruger Mini-14 factory 30 round clip with 7.62x39mm rounds and it simply held the bolt open after it hit the back of the clip. Would have been awesome if it had worked. The clip locks right in there like it's supposed to.

·
Registered
685 Posts
satan, check out fourfourmag.com for hi-caps for the 30. i don't know about western mags take a look...later
:usa: :usa: :usa:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My experience with Western brand mags has been negative.

I can't believe Ruger never made any hi-cap factory mags for these. Maybe they did for military use, but there's gotta be some floating about in the civi market...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Found this on the stopping power board

"Evan Marshall
Administrator
Re: Mini 14 problems with high capacity magazines
Posted: 10/21/01 2:30:02 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
are these Ruger brand magazines? I worked for Ruger and everytime somebody came to me with hi-cap mag complaints they were after market. FYI, if you have a Mini 30 a 20 rnd Ruger brand Mini 14 mag will hold 18 7.62X39 rnds and works reliably.
"

Here's the link-http://pub58.ezboard.com/fthestoppingpowercommunityfrm4.showMessage?topicID=16.topic

Hope it helps.
:D

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope. Tried it. (Although I was using a 30-round factory Ruger mag.)

In my post above, I was using an aftermarket Mini-14 mag...
With the FACTORY Ruger 30-rounder, I was able to reliably feed 11 rounds.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just a question for anyone and everyone. Has anyone have any experience with the performance-good or otherwise-on the Scherer 30rd. S.S. mags advertised for sale in Shotgun News ? Am thinking of purchasing same and am grateful for any input. Thanks, BILL:2guns:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The two 30-rnd Scherer mags that Flak-2 shipped to me worked flawlessly! Take care inserting them, because they will insert and seem correctly inserted, but are not. Just make sure the latching pin in front of the mag well is seated in the hole on the front panel of the magazine. Probably just operator error on my part...

I am getting close to publishing photos of all of these, but it takes time editing, etc. Plus getting the lighting just right is difficult so that all the details are obvoius.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Satan2655

I wish I could shop at tapco but they refuse to sell to me, because I'm outside the USA, shame on them!!!!!

Thanks for your comments on the mini 30 large mags, I may in the future buy one. I'm searching right now for one or two more mini 14 Ranch models, as I like them very much.

I try & get a rifle, that's the same caliber as the miltary use, I do not know about the USA military, do they use the 7.62 by 39?

Another question: what range can you shoot with this caliber?, I do not think it could go over 100 meters, but I have not used one to say.

In my country the Mini 14 Ranch models, cost $190 American more than the standard S/S mini 14s.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
US military use the 7.62 x 51mm NATO, same as .308 Winchester.
the 7.62x39 using 150gr at 2200 ft/sec . At 300 yds. drops to 1410 ft/sec, and energy drops from 1322 ft-lb to 543 ft-lb. Where as the 7.62 Nato using 150gr at 2800 ft/sec. At 300 yds. drops to 2067 ft/sec, and energy drops from 2611 ft-lbs to 1422 ft-lbs. The difference an extra 16 grns of powder makes!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gunrunner:

I bought a Mini-Thirty 18-round mag from TAPCO. It think they were Eagle brand. It was plastic, and it was JUNK! It fed real bad, and it fell out of the rifle after every single shot. I returned it right away.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi
I have had eagle mags for my mini 14, but I would never get plastic mags again, there is know point as I need years of use, not 5 minutes.

I sold the mags as soon as I could.

Always get steel mags.

My friends that have the mini 30, they say that their is massive drop at 80 to 100 meters, that's very bad if you are target shooting, ( if true )

:2guns:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nope. I only have two Mini-30 hi-cap mags, and I don't know what brand they are. I'm thinking they are USA. They definately are NOT Scherer though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts