Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mini 30 is my favorite gun to shoot. For the last year though it has been driving me crazy. I keep getting feeding problems sporadically. 581 mini 30 tactical, doesn't matter with brass or silver bear, use only factory mags, removed buffer....

I will go to the range, have FTF, go home disassemble/clean/lube. Go back to the range put 60 rnds through it and all will be fine. Then usually the next time I get to go to the range when I think it's fixed...feeding problems show back up. I am pretty frustrated at this point. Shot my mini without issues for a over 1000Rnds and now I have no confidence in it's reliability anymore.

The feeding issues only happen when the bolt strips a round from the left side of the magazine and the tip of the bullet gets stuck in the chamber. I am thinking my last resort I should get the chamber polished?

Anyone have a similar experience?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I am by no means an expert.

I'm a bit confused on your description. I get the left side thing. Does it scrape or mark the bullet or case somehow that then causes the case to jam in the chamber? At any rate, my first thought would be magazine issues. There is something of a feed ramp or arch on the front lip of the magazine. I had to polish the front lip on both the 10 round mags I bought to prevent them from gouging into the cartridge or bullet. Also, thespace inside the cartridge is larger than the round. I always tap the back side of mags that I have just loaded to make sure all rounds are to the back. Having some that are just clearing the front edge of the mag could cause mis-feeding problems.

If you are having spent cartridges jam in the chamber my one experience with this was with my SKS and the bolt not closing all the way forward. The small gap left allowed cases to expand once fired to the point of preventing extraction.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I have used a dremmel type tool to polish my chamber and moving parts with rub areas.

Also clean the op rod and spring, then lube up with light oil even synthetic.

Maybe give the feed lips of the mags a slight bend up to make a more positive feed for the bolt.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problems extracting. Feeding rounds from the left side of the mag. And yes, the casings to get scraped up. I always slap the back of the mags to get all the rounds snug.

Yeah I have seen several threads on here about people with factory mini 30 mags that needed feed lips polished. I figured though if they worked without issue for so long, why now is it a problem with several different mags. If anything ruff edges on the magazines would be smoothed out by now.

I will give it a shot though nothing to lose.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
No problems extracting. Feeding rounds from the left side of the mag. And yes, the casings to get scraped up. I always slap the back of the mags to get all the rounds snug.

Yeah I have seen several threads on here about people with factory mini 30 mags that needed feed lips polished. I figured though if they worked without issue for so long, why now is it a problem with several different mags. If anything ruff edges on the magazines would be smoothed out by now.

I will give it a shot though nothing to lose.
Has the stock been changed? If not I would send it back to Ruger with a description of your problem.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has the stock been changed? If not I would send it back to Ruger with a description of your problem.
Yes, I did switch out the factory synthetic stock for a factory mini 30 wood stock I got from numerich. You think this could possibly cause feeding issues?

I am hesitant to send it back to Ruger. A) Shipping B) I have a trigger job C) Feeding issues show up intermittently. They would send three rounds down range say it's good and send it back...

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
Yes, I did switch out the factory synthetic stock for a factory mini 30 wood stock I got from numerich. You think this could possibly cause feeding issues?

I am hesitant to send it back to Ruger. A) Shipping B) I have a trigger job C) Feeding issues show up intermittently. They would send three rounds down range say it's good and send it back...
The factory wood stock only came on pre- 580 mini-30's. The difference in the reciever's deminsions' could be off enough to cause the problem you are having. Go back to your synthetic stock to see how it functions. You may have to chuck the wood.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Check that your foreend heatshield is clipped or screwed into the stock securely... when you pull the operating rod to the rear, it should be smooth, and not "hang up"... if the heatshield is contacting the operating rod, there is a possibility the rod is not getting it's full stroke that is needed to eject spent brass and strip the next round from the magazine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.