Perfect Union banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I finally bit the bullet and cut my barrel to 16 1/2" with an 11 degree crown on it. I brought it almost out to the edge but left a flat to protect the bore.

The stainless for whatever reasons does not cut as easy as a regular steel barrel. It never cut any metal strings. It was all tiny bits or chips.

The barrel mic's at .620 so I can't just thread it for any 7.62 brake apparently. I don't really want to have to cut down the end of the barrel to 1/2 inch. I don't have a lathe for that.

If it shoots ok the way it is it will stay that way I guess.

·
Registered
663 Posts
You could thread it for 5/8x24 and put a 308 muzzle device (flash hider, muzzle brake, etc.) on it.

Here is one from brownells
.308AR A2 FLASH HIDER | Brownells

It says its "size" is 0.625'' so it would match up with your barrel profile almost perfectly. Just food for thought. That is, if size means O.D......but 5/8'' is 0.625 so idk. On different muzzle devices on brownells website the size is always bigger and variable from whatever the device is threaded maybe its just a screw up

·
Registered
8,399 Posts

I finally bit the bullet and cut my barrel to 16 1/2" with an 11 degree crown on it. I brought it almost out to the edge but left a flat to protect the bore.

The stainless for whatever reasons does not cut as easy as a regular steel barrel. It never cut any metal strings. It was all tiny bits or chips.

The barrel mic's at .620 so I can't just thread it for any 7.62 brake apparently. I don't really want to have to cut down the end of the barrel to 1/2 inch. I don't have a lathe for that.

If it shoots ok the way it is it will stay that way I guess.
Nice work hottarod!

You're a braver soul than I, in that I've always been afraid to cut any of my mini's bbls down.

Please do post your results. I for one am very interested in reading the results of your work, since I've been considering having Gundoc do similar work for me (when I can afford it!).

Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
9/16 is around .651. 5/8 is .625. I do not know how deep the threads are cut to know if those brakes would work or not. Maybe they would. It would have no shoulder though so I don't see how a crush washer or shim pack would work for this to get it aligned correctly. The only other option would be to cut it down and install a sizing adapter.

I would not automatically recommend everyone to do this. I did it because I had a bulge in the barrel behind the front sight where it was rammed onto the barrel at the factory. I found this to be a documented problem with how Ruger once pressed on the front sights. The article didn't say but it is likely a straight barrel with a tri-lobe sight issue which my gun is one. I'm hoping that this cut, at the least, did no harm.

I will find out soon enough I guess. I will post what I find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.