Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, new member, first post. New Mini-30 Tactical owner.

I've been doing a TON of reading tonight after taking my M30T to the range today, and having the feed issues (with Brown Bear) so many people have had. I just want to see if I have the overview correct:

1) These guns and mags require some breaking in. Some even report perfect feeding of steel ammo after break-in.

2) Only shoot American/brass, OR Golden/Silver Bear. Tula, Brown Bear, Wolf = unreliable feed/ignition, Yugo functions well but is corrosive.

3) Only use Ruger mags (and NEW ones at that).

That's it, if problems still persist, you're talking some light smithing: sanding/polishing/etc.

Is that about right? I love the gun, fun to shoot, very instinctive, I find it accurate at 50 yds with iron sights (which is all I need for it's intended purpose), I shoot it well, I just want to make sure it's reliable.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I do not know how Brown Bear shoots. It costs more but I would use American made brass ammo for a while. 200 rounds anyway. Now is a good time to learn to reload. You can tailor the ammo to your rifle. There is a learning curve but nirvana will fall on you for your patience. kwg

·
Registered
455 Posts
I would say that's it in a nutshell.

The M30 factory 20 round magazines are the only reliable ones I have found.

Polymer and lacquered coatings seem kind of "grabby" for a lot of folks. Others have no problems; guess its hit or miss... There's a lot of whining about it working just wonderful in the Commie-made weapons, but it is what it is.

The Silver Bear are galvanized and the Golden Bear are copper washed, so both are hard coatings and function well. They are also good quality and priced reasonably.

I understand the Yugo stuff shoots well but I'm lazy and don't feel like scrubbing the whole system down.

With the combination of factory mags and proper ammo choices you will have a very reliable system.

Wil

Attachments

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
several makes of x39 ammo brass cased from euope are available in addition to to the yugo mil-surp. some boxer primed some berdan.
also south african but have'nt seen it in awhile. and pmc.
mine does fine with brass-cased of any make.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Magazine fix

I have a lot of mag tuning experience. If a new mag has feed problems it needs
work I just bought 6 30 rounders and 5 were perfect. 1 mag on the last round
nose dived. the fix was to bend the spring up. If the jams are partial feed with the bolt hitting the side of the case that is late release. That could be feed lips or burrs or the spring has issues.When I build combat shooting guns I always clean up the inside and feed lips with a file GENTLY. Than I use the right size piece of wood and push the follower up and down if there is a sticks spot if has to be fixed. Week ammo wont work in every gun. Rugers have mag issues i had mostly good luck with Ruger mags in my 556 machine gun and the other Minis I have owned.Mike

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think it's the mags, at least not in my case... I have a 5-rnd ruger and 10-rnd promag, both fed Remington with zero problems. Neither fed the first round of Brown Bear , even with a forward tap on the bolt handle.

After I got home, cleaned the gun (it was clean to start with), and hand-cycled 100 rounds of Fiocchi (brass) thru it with no issues....

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I have a 581 series and it has not failed to shoot any sort of ammo. I didn't buy it new though so I don't know what the break in process was on it. The Ruger mag was mia and it has somebody's 30 round mag with it and that works perfect too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 581 series and it has not failed to shoot any sort of ammo. I didn't buy it new though so I don't know what the break in process was on it. The Ruger mag was mia and it has somebody's 30 round mag with it and that works perfect too.
Have you shot the russian polymer-coated steel cased ammo?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I just re-read my post and it is a bit misleading since I haven't tested absolutely everything yet. I won't shoot the lacquer coated stuff at all. In the off chance that somebody has or you shot some, it would be best to clean out your barrel really good, particularly the chamber, and not shoot that through it.

I have so far shot some polymer coated Wolf and Tula both in fmj and hollow point. I had some other stuff made by some company called MFS. These are zinc coated steel case fmj's, 123 grain. Had to look that up. Made in Hungary, boxer primed. Shot those fine too. Haven't tried any Bears yet.

I immediately had to adjust the gas block before I even shot it because it was way off.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I immediately had to adjust the gas block before I even shot it because it was way off.
How did you know? (I'm fairly new to working on/smithing guns)

The day I was at the range, my M30 Tac was ejecting the rounds "normally", like any rifle would... while an old-timer next to me had an older M30 that was ejecting rounds PAST ME and hitting the next shooter in the back! Never saw an eject like that before, it was crazy.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I could look at the gaps on each side of the top and bottom parts of the gas block assembly and see that they were not the same. They should be uniformly the same at each screw point. Apparently, someone before me had mucked with those screws trying to do I don't know what or may have taken them off thinking to clean in there or something. Who knows.

My SKS shoots the spent cases several feet too. Those really hard ejects are also hard on the gun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts