Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gunsmith friend who offered to experiment and put a 1" barrel on my Mini 30 -- I have concerns with the gas block & slide modifications. We disassembled the gun to look at the possible problems. Does any one have any experience with this? My thought is to channel the barrel to accept the slide and mate with the new gas block. The slide still concerns me

·
Registered
178 Posts
there a few companys that make gas blocks for one inch barrel you will also need to make or mod the op rod.

but honesty that hole lot of work for what heavy gun. you can make the new mini 30 1-1.5 moa with no issue. which will make the gun far more better then the round. 600-700 yards is really the max of the round. not to say it cant go farther. just real usablity is about that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is more of a gee wiz barrel change -- I wasn't going to the 1" barrel originally. My buddy put the offer out there -- He has built a few guns and is looking for something to fiddle around with. the cost is the barrel & $200 for material. Ammo -- gun not a going to bee used for over 300 yards. I plan on hand loading the ammo. My intension is to use the gun for hog hunting.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I'm not sure I'd go channeling the barrel to allow for the op rod. I'd go the other direction, if it were me. Clearance the op rod as much as necessary to maintain as much of the barrel's rigidity as possible.

As for the gas block, (I NEVER recommend these guys, but they're the only ones who'd even come close to what you need) call ASI -- Accuracy Systems, Inc. -- they do barrel swaps with up to 1" diameter barrels. I don't know if you could talk them out of purchasing a gas block separately (they want you to buy their whole "conversion"...), but it'd be worth a try.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
I have a gunsmith friend who offered to experiment and put a 1" barrel on my Mini 30 -- I have concerns with the gas block & slide modifications. We disassembled the gun to look at the possible problems. Does any one have any experience with this? My thought is to channel the barrel to accept the slide and mate with the new gas block. The slide still concerns me
Want to go to Club Fed for 10 years? And your gunsmith buddy?

Unless he's a Class 2 FFL with a SOT, its illegal to do so unless you first fill out a Form 1 and pay the 200 dollar tax and get approved by the BATF.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'm not sure a barrel switch requires class 2 w/SOT, as the resultant firearm would not be an NFA piece. Much like putting a heavy barrel on your M700, shouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Want to go to Club Fed for 10 years? And your gunsmith buddy?

Unless he's a Class 2 FFL with a SOT, its illegal to do so unless you first fill out a Form 1 and pay the 200 dollar tax and get approved by the BATF.
From what I understand, he's talking about a 1" diameter barrel, not a 1" long barrel.

·
189 series m 30
8 Posts
dacotua I think you have the wrong idea. At least that is what I believe. I think the op was asking about a 1" diameter barrel not a 1" long one. I cant see the point of a barrel that short any way. Your immediate jumping down somebody's throat and not using your brain to try to comprehend the op's intentions is not appreciated. I believe the op was asking if making cutouts in the underside of a heavy diameter barrel of legal length but greater than factory thickness was a possibility.

·
189 series m 30
8 Posts
As to the question of can you make a relief to the underside of a heavy diameter barrel to allow the oprod to cycle correctly in its current orientation yes you can but I would not go through all that work to take an easy way out and create a less accurate rifle. Remington makes that triangular barrel bolt action rifle which works ok till it gets warm but with a bolt gun it takes longer. The thing is every cut you make creates a stress riser which causes a harmonics change in the material when the vibration from the round strikes it. Theoretically you could make it with such thick and heavy metal that the harmonics could be almost negated but that also takes away some of the great traits of the mini. I will be doing a .750 barrel 16.5 inches long on my mini 30 when I have some more money and time. I think it will be a nice combination. Just an FYI I would go at least 18 on a mini 14 but go with a .750 max due to weight and handling. Shorter equals stiffer in rifle barrels and if max velocity is not an issue it will typically give slightly better groups

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all

First of all this is a 1-inch dia. Barrel of legal length -- No legal issues -- Looking for accuracy -- Thanks for the concern. My gunsmith friend would not do anything illegal.

Very good input -- I am going to discard the slide channel

Looks like I am going to go with the 1" tapered to 0.750 then back to 1" after the gas block

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
there a few companys that make gas blocks for one inch barrel you will also need to make or mod the op rod.

but honesty that hole lot of work for what heavy gun. you can make the new mini 30 1-1.5 moa with no issue. which will make the gun far more better then the round. 600-700 yards is really the max of the round. not to say it cant go farther. just real usablity is about that.
There is no way in hell the 7.62x39 is a 600-700yrd round. Maybe 300 if you can shoot and from the sound of it, you cant.

·
Registered
178 Posts
There is no way in hell the 7.62x39 is a 600-700yrd round. Maybe 300 if you can shoot and from the sound of it, you cant.
WTF if i can make it hit target at 600 yards i cant shoot? hahah this form full of dumb people.

at 500 yards it has about 370 ftlb that not bad you may not want to try kill a bear but small game is dead or at very lest hirting.

so when you figure out how to calculate bullet drop and adjust you scope maybe you be able to shoot as good as me ;)

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
WTF if i can make it hit target at 600 yards i cant shoot? hahah this form full of dumb people.

at 500 yards it has about 370 ftlb that not bad you may not want to try kill a bear but small game is dead or at very lest hirting.

so when you figure out how to calculate bullet drop and adjust you scope maybe you be able to shoot as good as me ;)
Apparently "Ruger the Troll" has made another alias on this forum.

·
189 series m 30
8 Posts
I would probably leave it at 750 after the gas block due to it acting like a sinker on the end. I may be wrong but I see little advantage to making the barrel any larger than the barrel threading diameter just another thing to think about. I also think rifle balance is important. It would get pretty muzzle heavy quick. How long of a barrel are you considering?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.