Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recieved my PMC 62gr X-Tac steel core ammo from AIM surplus the other day. I went to the range and shot iron sights from sandbags. Nice solid concrete bench. Anyway I adjusted my sights all the way to the right and I can not get the gun to hit dead center at 100 yards. My group is about 2 inches to the left of center and I have no room for adjustment. What should I do? Is this acceptable for a battle rifle? I am disapointed. BTW I have a 580 serries with the new barrel contour. I think I picked it up in 2008.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
The gas bushing is in a bind. The gas bushing is in the gas block and holds the gas tube in the gas block. At the factory it was not centered well and when the 4 screws in the gas block were installed, it put a bind on the gas bushing against the barrel. You need to loosen the 4 screws in the gas block enough to center it on the barrel and loosen up the gas bushing. Screw the 4 screws back down evenly with the gaps on either side being close to the same dimensions. Or send it back to Ruger and let them do it.

The screws are in tight and it will take some torque to loosen them. They are also staked so go slow. You do not have to take them out. When you retighten the 4 screws take them to around 30 inch pounds of torque. It's not that much so don't do them "farmer tight". I like to tighten and let them set for a minute or two and then try them one more time. It's 30 INCH lbs and not foot lbs. Here again, you can send it back to Ruger if you don't have the tools. kwg

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
welcome to the Mini page of PerfectUnion.
the gas block screws are 9/64th.
it's a good chance kwg has it right.
only other cause would be the front sight is'nt centered on the barrel. this is about as common as the gas block problem evidently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK can someone explain the gas block centering issue to me. I have almost the same issue with my new Mini. Rear sight is all the way to the right but I was on at 25 yards. I can understand the front sight being canted, but not sure how the gas bushing would affect it.

Robert

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
The best way I can explain it is, the gas bushing that meters the gas coming out of the barrel also holds the gas tube into the gas block. It appears that the gas tube may be slightly turned or the bushing is not centered straight into the hole of the barrel and the gas tube combined and when the 4 screws that holds the gas block to the barrel is tightened it causes a "bind" or pressure point where the barrel, gas block and gas tube meet.

Loosening the gas block top and making sure the 3 items are centered seems to fix this problem. I don't know what the process is at the factory that causes this except for human error but, loosening the screws and centering the gas tube, bushing and barrrel seems to fix it. That's the best I can explain it. If this process does not fix it, it's time to send it back to the factory. kwg

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
You just need to get glasses like the guys who test fire the rifles at Ruger have.

I think you can make your own, just find two coke bottles, cut the bottoms off and glue them to a $2.00 pair of sunglasses.
Once you have your new Ruger glasses on, the sights will line up perfectly.

If you follow the tips that were given, you have a good chance of getting the sights on target, good luck.

John K

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Sounds like another that needs to go back to Ruger.

If you are going to send it back, do so before you make any mods to the rifle such as a trigger job etc because Ruger will remove your good trigger and put a stock one back in. Same goes for any other modification.

John K

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
OK can someone explain the gas block centering issue to me. I have almost the same issue with my new Mini. Rear sight is all the way to the right but I was on at 25 yards. I can understand the front sight being canted, but not sure how the gas bushing would affect it.

Robert
The gas block won't have any effect on the rifle shooting in the same direction or another unless the front sight is mounted to it and it's canted or it's way off from the factory.
Re-torqing the gas block will tighten the groups assuming it wasn't correct from the factory.
Running out of sight adjustment usually means the sights are way off for some reason, the shooter keeps making the same mistake, or the ammo isn't suitable for the gun.
If the shooter is canting the rifle just as he shoots one of the easiests ways to check this is to use your non trigger hand to hold the butt stock into your shoulder while the front of the stock is rested on a sand bag.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, so I loosened, made sure the gas bushing was aligned and re-tightened the gas block. Took the gun out yesterday and still hitting to the left of center a couple of inches with irons. I was also shooting over my car with sand bags instead of the concrete bench. I am able to hit pretty close to minute of bad guys head, but I feel that I should not be out of adjustment. I also tried a 55 grain load and it too hits to the left. Should I call Ruger?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hi 1longshot,

The most common cause of this seems to be a front sight not true. I suspect if you level the receiver and then sight down the barrel you will see some degree of cant on the front blade. If that is the problem, a trip back to Ruger is the most common cure.

Ed

·
Registered
70 Posts
OK guys, are we really sure the best advice is to send the gun back to Ruger?
I have not measured or calculated the size of the front sight, but a SWAG would put it at around 7MOA maybe more. So, achieving anything close to 3 inches from center at 100yd is pretty bang on. Also firing through a ghost ring rear; it is not always natural to be truly centered and achieve correct sight alignment and sight picture with ghost and post. And those sights were only really meant to achieve minute of man at 300yds.

Also, not wishing to cast any assumptions on shooting ability, but have you let other folks shoot it to see if same occurs?

Just I get the same questions at my range from guys who are trying to bullseye shoot with a carry-gun with 3-dot sights:blink:

Just trying to look in all directions before UPS hauls her away.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If the problem is as bad as claimed, it is totally unacceptable.

My 580 was zeroed with the rear sight set 3/4 to the right at 50 yards and shooting 1.5 inch groups with Nato ball. When I tried re-torquing the gas block I was able to get the groups on target and the rear sight centered right in the middle. Groups are now sub-MOA at 50 yards with irons.

If the OP is not able to get the groups centered after trying a few things like retightening the gas block and changing ammunition, then I would definitely give Ruger a call. If his Mini has that much difficulty getting on target, he may well have a non-fixable problem and might end up getting a new rifle out of the deal.

M

·
Registered
338 Posts
OK guys, are we really sure the best advice is to send the gun back to Ruger?
I have not measured or calculated the size of the front sight, but a SWAG would put it at around 7MOA maybe more. So, achieving anything close to 3 inches from center at 100yd is pretty bang on. Also firing through a ghost ring rear; it is not always natural to be truly centered and achieve correct sight alignment and sight picture with ghost and post. And those sights were only really meant to achieve minute of man at 300yds.

Also, not wishing to cast any assumptions on shooting ability, but have you let other folks shoot it to see if same occurs?

Just I get the same questions at my range from guys who are trying to bullseye shoot with a carry-gun with 3-dot sights:blink:

Just trying to look in all directions before UPS hauls her away.
X 2...

If you really want to narrow down the possibility that the sight may be out of alignment somehow, go to 50 yards...or 25...

Your supposed problem lies with windage, not elevation. You can obviously be a lot more precise with your sight alignment at short range, effectively ruling out shooter error to a much larger extent.

Shoot at short range, and see if you are able to zero your windage.

·
Registered
870 Posts
There is an assignable cause for the misaligned assemblies somewhere within Rugers normal distribution of manufacturing process capability. I would guess a loss of control somewhere between one setup and another. It has been there for many years - 581's are not special to this problem.

For what ever reason (money?) They refuse to bring their process into 3 sigma limits, choosing instead to sell the outliers to the Public, thus using the Public to inspect Quality in on the back end.

Hey - just like software companies - LOL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am going to give Ruger a call on Friday and see what they tell me. Thanks for all the replies. I would like to be able to shoot my rifle in a way that doesn't leave my head cocked awkwardly. And one that hits what I am aiming at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A call to Ruger this morning and I was told to send my rifle back on my dime. The woman on the phone explained that since my rifle was older than 1 year that I would be responsible for shipping. She told me that I only needed to include a letter explaining the problem and that they would cover shipping on the way back. Is this standard?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts