Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, i am new to this board and have been reading this board for about 3 days and am especially impressed about all the talk about ruger mini-14's.

2 of my friends and i own mini-14's and it seems that i love the mini-14 the most. one of my friends prefers his sks over the mini-14 and my other friend prefers the ar15 type and m4 type. but since we live in communist california the mini-14 is all we can purchase at this time in caliber (223,semi-auto,magazine fed). i just love my mini-14 and have always shot it with the iron sights and could hit metal plates out at 100 to 300 yards with great ease. i just recently put on a bushnell
3x9x40 sportview and a harris bipod w-adapter. as soon as i call in sick to work i will tell all of you the results of how accurate my mini-14 ranch rifle is as far as moa shooting is concerned. i feel the mini-14 is great rifle and also own an m1a rifle with harris bipod and springfield armory 6x40 scope for serious business.

blzn69 :rapid:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hmm. You can hit a metal plate at 300 yards, with great ease, with iron sights, with a mini. How many times out of ten? One, or two? That is pretty good shooting with a stock mini.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the mini 14 is fun. Have had a lot of trouble finding mags that work. The AR15 is more accurate. Like Mini 14 6 - 8 inch groups at 100 yards and AR15 3-4 inch groups with m855 ball ammo. Sure wish the mags (20 and 30 round would work better)
Have had not trouble with the 30 round AR15 mags.
ches

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey chess!
i am going to cut to the chase and just find and buy original ruger 20 round magazines and stick to the 5 round original mags as well. i have spent some money on some 20 and 30 round mags and have about 7 and only one 30 round mag works flawsley. when i am shooting a firearm i do not like the feeling of hoping that a magazine is going to feed etc. i know that all mechanical items are not perfect but when firing a friearm i like damn near perfect. my glock 22 feeds damn near perfect as well as my m1a and so i will pay the extra money and hassel to get the best for i want and will make my mini- 14 feed as well as my m1a and glock 22.
blzn69

·
Registered
42 Posts
My guess is that you are going to pay $30.00 dollars and up for ruger mags. Maybe a good bit more. If I am incorrect then let me know.
ches

·
Registered
5 Posts
Personally i'm tired of mini-14's. I tried and tried to get mine to just hit the paper and it wouldn't so I dumped it off. AN AR15 is a way better rifle than a mini. Thats a fact.:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I may be repeating myself here, but I got a Colt Target, Match, Competition AR15 10 days ago. It shoots much better than either Mini ranch rifle that I have. I have about 10-12 mags that do not work in the mini. So far all used (finish worn off) mags that I have bought for the AR15 work. This is the model where the handle comes off and a flat top is under it. I hefted it with a regular H-bar Colt and cannot tell any added weight from the bigger barrel under the foreend.
I need to work up a load for the 223 after I get rid of all the 55 grain FMJ that I have.
ches

·
Registered
4 Posts
guys come on ! "an ar-15 is much better than a mini-15"
of corse it is ! it should be it cost from 300 to ? more than a mini
and if it was my money it by god better shoot better than a mini 14 or i would be very upset . besides your comparing it to a colt match rifle. and no one has ever claimed that kind of accuracy
out of a mini-14 that ive heard of.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i know exactly what you guys are talking about as far mini-14 accuracy vs the ar-15 accuracy. it has been determined that the major if not the only
problem with the mini-14 is the barrel. every thing else is pretty much built very good and is practically bomb proof. also, assuming one uses o.g ruger magazines. Also, take into consideration that i live in communist california and with current bills any ar-15 type of rifle cannot be purchased unless it is for law enforcement, which currently i am not, or you can own one as long as it is registered out of state and is stored and used out of state. the thing to remember is that currently in california, there is only one magazine fed rifle in cal. 223 that can be bought and fired in california and that is the mini-14. if i could accurize my mini-14 to shoot as good and/or more accurately than any ar-15 type of rifle, it would not matter from then on. i also have an m1a and take down, cleaning, etc is almost
identical. seems efficient to me?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my newly aquired pre-ban Ranch Rifle out to the range today. The first Mini 14 I've ever owned or shot. I put 80 rounds through it, and it operated flawlessly. No misfeeds from a 30 rd. plastic Eagle mag, and 2 40 rd. mags. It had very little recoil and performed as expected, according to what I've heard, 4" group at 100 yd. From what I saw of it today, and considering the deal I got for it, I'm very satisfied. I'll be ordering an ARS muzzle brake for $150, to get the groups down to 1". Also, the Blued Butler Creek folding stock with the Blued finish of the gun, makes it one awsome looking rifle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mini-14 can be made to shoot more than adequately for most uses. The barrrel is not the only problem, although it is part of it. First get a Hogue Overmolded stock. REplace the gas bushing with a NW Shooters Support Kit. This reduces the slam that causes the barrel and action to flip each time and land in a different place in the stock. Clean the barrel really clean, use JB compound to smooth it out and shoot good moly bullets. Not FMJ. Do not load to max if reloading. Place gas block on front bag to bench rest. Get trigger job if that bothers you. If a regular Mini-14 get a Ranch Rifle Scout mount or the Weaver mount that replaces rear sight. Use a good scope. Some Ranch rings are a poor fit, lap them or use bedding compound to mate perfectly. I respect the opinions of those who prefer the AR, why bash us Mini-14 owners? This gun fits some of our situations better that the AR. I would not be allowed to hunt coyotes some places with an AR-15 where a Mini is accepted. I prefer the mini-14 controls to the AR's and the light weight. This doesn't make me right and you wrong or vice versa, its just personal preference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, said skunkhunter. Anything that resembles the M1 has got to have a lot of good qualities to it.
ches

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am 17 years old and the mini 14 was the first rifle i bought all on my own. My reason for purchasing a mini was basically just to have a fun rifle to plink with. I bought the standard mini 14 with a wood stock but I have gone through a bunch of accessories and clips over the past couple years, some worth the money and others just plain junk. The worst part about my experience has probably been the clips. The first clip I had was a no name 30 rounder, it worked poorly for maybe 40 rounds and after that it fell out of the gun every time I shot, junk! I bought two ten round clips from cabela's, they consistently jammed. Then I bought a couple of Eagle 35 round clips. They definitely fed consistently but they wouldnt hold the bolt open when empty. I came up with a fix for that a couple of weeks ago. I used JB weld, a cold weld compound, to extend the mag catch and trimmed it up as it dried. It worked great and now I have two nice mags that hold the bolt open on the last shot. I also purchased a genuine 20rd Ruger mag, expensive but its the only one i would trust with my life. I bought a barrel shroud made by Eagle, it looked really bad ass but it also shook loose when I shot, even with lock tight on the screws. It also made some nice marks on the barrel so that has been since removed. I added an Eagle flash-hider/sight combo. I like it because it gives a much better sight picture. However I did have to file it down in order for it to shoot within the adjustable range of my peep. After trying a choate pistol grip stock that wouldnt fit my gun, I bought a butler creek black synthetic stock. I found out my gun would be illegal with the pistol grip and flash hider on a post ban gun so its best that didnt work for me anyways. I put a few hundred rounds through my mini, usually shooting at nothing important. I took it to the range today for the first time. At 100 yards with American Eagle FMJ I put 5 rds into about a 3 1/2" group, then i shot 5 rds of FMJ Wolf (which seemed slightly less accurate) and ended up with a ten shot group of about 5". That is definitely good enough for my purposes. A ****, coyote, or terrorist would all have been toast! I dont know how much better of shooting I am capable of with a peep sight anyways. Right now the only other accessories I am considering are a Millet rear peap assembly or any way of possibly achieving a little more accuracy, just to say I can do it. Is bedding the stock worth it? I notice that if I push in on the forearm of my stock there is quite a bit of play. What are the best ways to tweak my accuracy without adding a scope or rebarreling? Overall I love this gun, its my favorite! Its fun to shoot and draws a lot of attention from friends. The only reliability problem I have ever had was when I would pull the trigger and only a small dent would be left in the primer and the shell didnt fire on the first try. Maybe they were really hard primers but I added a Trapper Gun spring tune up kit and havent had the problem since. I would like to buy some cheaper surplus ammo, anybody have experience with those South African surplus battle packs? Whats the best of economically priced ammo?
Any comments are appreciated!
-BOB-

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe that the NW Shooters Supply gas bushing kit does more than any other modification to improve the mini. A good stock and good sights are second.

The answer to your question is that bedding the stock will help. It is much easier to just buy the Hogue overmolded stock and be done with it. they are $60 at Midway. If you will take your gun apart, you will probably see where the action has beat the wood on top of the stock unevenly. The top of the stock may be flat, but the bottom of the action is not. The casting Ruger uses cause this I think. Remove the wood every where under the action except the rear area which is usually flat and mates well. Look inside and you may see where the action hits the stock inside too. Remove this wood so there is no contact. Check the bottom of the stock where the "fingers" from the trigger assembly touch. These are often uneven too, I had one where the fingers were bent unevenly! Straighten if needed. Remove the wood under the trigger too. Bed around these areas and the metal thingy that screws to the stock. Do this in stages with the metal thingy first, top second, don't use the trigger to hold the action for the top, just use a clamp or rubber bands to hold it. Do not bend it!!! When you bed under teh trigger assembly fingers, do not fully close it, just most of the way wihtin an inch or maybe less, this ain't real critical and you can redo it. When done the trigger assembly must not bend the action when the trigger assemb. is closed! BTW you can't glue this action in unless you really try. I tried to do a glue-in before the gas bushing kit and it still came loose. Just thinking about doing this makes me tired. e-mail if ???

G

·
Hi Skunkhunter--please give me a lead on the NW Shooters Supply Gas Bushing Kit. Sounds like what I need but I can't find the company on the net. Much Obliged!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is the info on NW Shooters.

E-Mail: [email protected]

phone 503-643-6136

pager 503-204-7524

I don't seem to have an address, maybe its on the box. Anyway, e-mail him and he will set it up. he also does a trigger job on Mini and 10-22 and sells .45 Super kits. Good guy to work with.

The kit itself consists of three bushings, you have to experiment to find the right one. I use the middle one as the small one is not reliable with the low end of my reloads.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Are the gas bushings for the mini meant to improve accuracy mainly for scoped rifles? Will it reduce reliability at all? I usually just shoot 55 grain FMJ rounds.
Thanks,
Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts