Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just shot my gun at a 3 Gun today and I got all the targets knocked down with 32 shots. The AR guys were taking 60+ rounds. This was for 14 targets, 6 at 75 yards and 4 double hits at 175 yards. There was one target at 175 that was giving everyone fits as it was 12" round and painted black. It took me 6 shots to get 2 hits on that one, then 2 easy ones, and then a 8" plate that was painted white and it only took me 4 shots to hit it twice. My first magazine had 28 rounds of Wolf ammo in it, which is not as accurate as my reloads which were in the other magazine. I only fired 4 out of the second mag.

All the AR guys had Scopes mounted and I shot with a Red Dot. I was not disadvantaged at all.

Once again I champion the Mini 14 as a perfectly adequate Carbine which is more than accurate enough for any intended purpose. It is equal to or better than most AR's that are fielded in competitions. It is also one of the Best Featureless Rifles in existence which makes it so that those living in the Commie run states will not be outgunned by Beto's Army when they come after our AR's. I just hope Beto leads the charge, and I would not miss my AR in the slightest. I have 3 other featureless guns that can replace the AR with and give up no firepower at all.

All I would be giving up is the Disappointment and Future Regret of having a firearm confiscated by the Feds if they decide to go stupid on us..

I do this to show the AR fools that they aren't the only game in town, and when they start dissing our guns I react with proof that they are FOS and don't know what they are talking about.
I can compete equally with them to my Physical Limit and the gun is not a limiting factor whatsoever. I urge everyone who reads this to seek out local competitions where you can try your hand at shooting in a somewhat "tactical situation," which might benefit you someday down the road.

Nobody cares if you suck, and the idea that you are less that perfect is not a factor here that should be considered. Most everyone I have shot with is more than happy that you are there shooting with them, and welcomes the comradery, and if you need help they are more than willing to get you lined out so you can feel comfortable being around them.

So to you AR guys,,, Putting all your eggs in one basket is stupid. Haven't you heard "Diversity' is where it is at nowadays.

Hey,,, Joe said so,,, So it must be true? Right?

Randy.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Great job. And I totally agree. I have two minis and two ARs: a 5.56 and 7.62x39 of each flavor. Then there is my trusty USGI WW2 M1 carbine. My dad fought on Iwo Jima with an Inland M1 Carbine, and he said it never failed him, but then it was all close up and personal.....

Its funny, when I shoot my Minis at the renge, and break clay pigeons on the berm at 100 with iron sights, it always amazes people. They usually believe Minis can't shot for sh*t and are in accurate.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Randy,
I too regularly use my 582 series stainless Ranch Rifle in Practical Rifle matches (run 'n gun) and have no trouble keeping up with the AR guys (about half the shooters police and work for various gov't agencies). I have "tricked out" my RR with an Accu-strut, smaller gas port, recoil buffer, bedding, 2X7 Redfield, handloads, and a lace on raised comb. In one of my first matches I came in 3rd out of about 25 shooters and the Match Director exclaimed "You did that with a Mini-14!?!" and I said "Yeah, it's my coyote gun." He said most guys with the Minis have jams and accuracy problems. Those problems I have worked out a while back. I don't feel the least under gunned and do pretty well for a 70 year old geezer. I don't seem to do any better when using an AR. The mini is quite soft shooting.

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
Randy,
I too regularly use my 582 series stainless Ranch Rifle in Practical Rifle matches (run 'n gun) and have no trouble keeping up with the AR guys (about half the shooters police and work for various gov't agencies). I have "tricked out" my RR with an Accu-strut, smaller gas port, recoil buffer, bedding, 2X7 Redfield, handloads, and a lace on raised comb. In one of my first matches I came in 3rd out of about 25 shooters and the Match Director exclaimed "You did that with a Mini-14!?!" and I said "Yeah, it's my coyote gun." He said most guys with the Minis have jams and accuracy problems. Those problems I have worked out a while back. I don't feel the least under gunned and do pretty well for a 70 year old geezer. I don't seem to do any better when using an AR. The mini is quite soft shooting.
Nice setup and Nice Yote!
Also like the looks of the lace on cheek riser, can I ask what make is it?

I would like to try the local 3 gun here, but the guys here seem to be pretty snooty.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The cheek riser is one I had laying around that was originally from a trap shooter who had it on his shotgun and I then put it on my deer rifle and now its on my SS Ranch. I have no clue who made it as I've had it for over 40 years. I wish I could help.

Reactions: hylander

·
Formerly "raf"
1,494 Posts
I think a good many of us with decent Minis have had the experience of out-shooting AR owners who were long on gun and accessories, but short on skill. Some of us have even made a little money doing so.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
interesting thread, I guess every area has people picking what brand is better, just like what car company..chevy, ford, dodge..etc...
I like to shoot..so anything I shoot I enjoy shooting and never got into what brand is better or worse , unless its a complete flop of a firearm that everyone complains about....in the end all firearm owners need to stick together for the greater good of saving the 2A.....as with any tool of the trade..SKILL outweighs what your using...like the old saying" dont blame the tool for user error"...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Patriot: the Mini 14 is one of the most "Maligned and Bashed" Firearms? in existence.

Hence my quest to prove them wrong every chance I get.

There's a saying,,, :"Any gun will do, if you will do !" I truly believe this to be true,
and in the Case of the Mini 14 I believe it to be especially true, because experience has shown me that most owners and nearly all of the naysayers can't shoot anything well so they blame the gun.
A Mini requires just a little technique to operate efficiently, and those who can operate it efficiently know what I'm talking about. Those who don't,,, probably never will..

Randy

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Patriot: the Mini 14 is one of the most "Maligned and Bashed" Firearms? in existence.

Hence my quest to prove them wrong every chance I get.

There's a saying,,, :"Any gun will do, if you will do !" I truly believe this to be true.,

Randy
untill I read your post I never heard anyone I shoot with or know that bashed the mini...Ive shot both platforms and enjoyed shooting them both....

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"until I read your post I never heard anyone I shoot with or know that bashed the mini...Ive shot both platforms and enjoyed shooting them both...."

Pat: You have lived a very sheltered life. Go over to Calguns or AR15.com and talk about Mini's, you'll get flamed for even bringing them up.

You obviously don't know that the Mini 14 is a poor excuse for a Fence Post and not capable of putting two bullets in the same county, anywhere it is shot. They also are completely unreliable and the gun should have been made to use AR magazines. (which didn't exist at that time)

The comparison of the AR to the Mini 14 has been going on for decades, and for some reason (usually lack of direct experience or lack of shooting skills) some people just think the Mini is inherently bad and their AR's can do no wrong.

More informed people know this is fallacy .But you can't fix stupid, so the discussion continues..

Randy

·
Registered
606 Posts
Mini's seem to shoot ok for me.
To be fair the rifle had been bedded, buffers added, trigger smoothed a bit and Accustrut added.
Same ammo for all targets.
Top target was 50yds. and the dot is .75"
Top group was first three rounds fired from cold barrel.
Lower group was after one scope adjust.
Second target 100yds. and dot is 1", Barrel got warm, not hot.
Notice the only real POI change is vertical from going from 50yd to 100yds., also no flyers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
"until I read your post I never heard anyone I shoot with or know that bashed the mini...Ive shot both platforms and enjoyed shooting them both...."

Pat: You have lived a very sheltered life. Go over to Calguns or AR15.com and talk about Mini's, you'll get flamed for even bringing them up.

You obviously don't know that the Mini 14 is a poor excuse for a Fence Post and not capable of putting two bullets in the same county, anywhere it is shot. They also are completely unreliable and the gun should have been made to use AR magazines. (which didn't exist at that time)

The comparison of the AR to the Mini 14 has been going on for decades, and for some reason (usually lack of direct experience or lack of shooting skills) some people just think the Mini is inherently bad and their AR's can do no wrong.

More informed people know this is fallacy .But you can't fix stupid, so the discussion continues..

Randy
I try not to surround myself with idiots...LOL...sometimes its unavoidable like the 3 regulars on this forum, but they are the minority...
the Ruger Ranch rifle uses ar mags...yeah it would be nice if the minis did too but back then I think Ruger wanted his own platform with the military, but it didnt happen...and im sure Ruger makes lots of $$$ from selling their factory mags...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Personally I like the Ruger Mags just fine, I see no reason for Ruger
to make a change so that the Mini uses AR Mags other than being able to use one mag for both platforms.
So I'm thinking all the AR platforms should be changed to Ruger Mags 😁

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Personally I like the Ruger Mags just fine, I see no reason for Ruger
to make a change so that the Mini uses AR Mags other than being able to use one mag for both platforms.
So I'm thinking all the AR platforms should be changed to Ruger Mags 😁
I will say I like the way ar mags go straight in and lock compared to the minis mags and M1As...but either one you can get use to for fast changes...for self defense I try and keep all platforms the same, so muscle memory in an " oh schit" situation will take over and you dont have to think what im carrying today...but im thinking mags are made different for the same calibers for monetary reasons, but it would be nice if any .223 or .308 mag( or any popular caliber) would fit universally into any weapon...

·
Formerly "raf"
1,494 Posts
Back when I was Sr. Staff at Arfcom, I helped create current Ruger Centerfire Forum, where Minis are currently discussed. Before that there was so many ill-informed and ignorant comments about the Mini that creating such a forum was considered Problematic. Some of my "Warnings" to Users are still there, under username "raf'.

Times have changed, and all but the most willfully ignorant understand the Mini to be a respectable platform. Given Arfcom, that's coming a LONG ways.

Some of this turnabout is because of well-informed, polite, and experienced posters from this forum joining Arfcom, and providing useful, helpful information It's taken a long time, and the Idiots are still there (Aren't they always?), but the tide has turned.

The Mini is currently one of the primary subjects in the Ruger Centerfire Forum at Arfcom, and almost all the posts are from people seeking guidance. I refer many of them here.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Yawn. Another Anti AR, Mini good thread. the only thing was a good message of practicing. If you think there is such a thing as a featureless rifle you are delusional and thinking you can hide, again delusional. Good on you it sounds like you should move up instead of stalking new guys just starting out so you can brag. Sound about right? There are divisions right? so move on up there hoss. o_O . My out of the box AR blows my worked over mini away in all respects and I did the triggers on both so thats a wash.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chill: The comparison of the AR to the Mini 14 has been going on for decades, and for some reason (usually lack of direct experience or lack of shooting skills) some people just think the Mini is inherently bad and their AR's can do no wrong.

You are obviously the exception to the rule. Since you know so much about both platforms, why not contribute something useful like how YOU used Your Mini 14 to win your local 3 gun shoot? That way you can brag on how you beat all those unlimited division pukes with your personal inferior Rifle. I mean anyone can do it with an AR Right?.

Randy

·
Registered
606 Posts
Chill:
You seem to dislike Mini's and don't want to hear them talked up, so why are you here?
Pretty sure this a Mini Forum and not an AR forum. So ya, we tend to speak well of the Mini.
Good on you Randy, you have earned the right to brag on your rifle and your ability.
I have been shooting both the Mini and the AR Platforms for many years.
Yes, my AR's are more accurate, however the Mini's are pretty darn accurate as well.
Also very reliable, I can honestly say I have had to help people fix their ARs dozen's of times at the range and have never had to help someone fix a Mini at the range.
Again I have shot both for many years and love both platforms, just don't understand the bashing of a firearm that is as solid a platform as any.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

Randy
Actually the mini design was started in 1967, and came to fruition in 1973. I am pretty sure that ar mags were quite available at that time. Just saying....

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah just sayin' who knew the M16 would last. It was kind of having problems at that time. I went into the AF in 1969 and the gun I shot in basic was junk! I never liked them as a result of that total of 60 rounds I got to fire thru the gun. and every single bullet went thru the target sideways. I still got 59/60 on the target so I got the ribbon.

So my question is "why would anyone base a new gun design on an unproven Weapons System's Magazine.

Robt McNamara told Bill Ruger that if the Mini 14 would have been ready 2 years sooner they would have scrapped the M16!

What do you think the Mini platform would look like now if it had gotten the 60 years of development that the M16/M4 platform has gotten. Would we be asking how come the AR wasn't designed around Mini 14 Magazines? Probably

I envision that it would look like this.

Maybe with an Optic like this

I bet even Magpul would make Nice Magazines for it. What do you think?

Randy

1 - 20 of 32 Posts