Perfect Union banner

261 - 265 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
So I'm looking at the shapeways site, and still not really sure which models to get. I'm trying to figure out which ones would fit a SN582 Ruger 5812, which is essentially the LEO police carbine; a tactical model but with an 18" barrel. The other one would be the normal 16" tactical model, 583, so both have tapered barrels. Anyone help me with the correct ones? Also, whats the best finish option to match the barrel (factory bluing). Looking for the "pin on" model (no sight, lug only) that would use an M16 bayonet. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
495 Posts
So I'm looking at the shapeways site, and still not really sure which models to get. I'm trying to figure out which ones would fit a SN582 Ruger 5812, which is essentially the LEO police carbine; a tactical model but with an 18" barrel. The other one would be the normal 16" tactical model, 583, so both have tapered barrels. Anyone help me with the correct ones? Also, whats the best finish option to match the barrel (factory bluing). Looking for the "pin on" model (no sight, lug only) that would use an M16 bayonet. Thanks in advance!
I didn't know Ruger made that one. I would assume that it's still the .625" barrel that all the other tapered barels are. If thats the case than this part would be the one you want. Matte black is the blackest finish you can get for it.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/QQVYGTVFQ/625-quot-id-pin-on-m16-bayonet-lug?optionId=58962083

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sir, what do ya' need to know? it is just a factory barrel 185 series. I cut the lug & band part off a old M1 carbine barrel band set up. drilled out the rivets clamped it over my barrel using small bolts with nuts. the barrel ring in the carbine bayonet fits the end of my barrel very well. just let me know if I can give ya' anymore info. Cav.
I tried doing this and the the lug portion wouldn't separate from the barrel band side. No amount of hammering with a punch or trying to press the lug out using a vise & c-clamps would work. There are slightly indentations on the barrel band at the lug, so maybe some versions were pressed together galling the metal in a way that can't easily be undone.

A M4 bayonet will slip over the muzzle of a 581+ series Mini14/30 and be flush or ever so slightly recessed from the crown of the barrel.

I'm wondering if one of Cogburn Arsenal's clamp on M16 lugs stated to work with M7 bayonets will work with the M4 bayonet. I don't imagine the Army changed the locking mechanism between the M4 & the later M7 and the only visual difference I see between the bayonets is the size of the muzzle ring to fit over a flash suppressor. So the only way I think it wouldn't work is if the spacing away from the barrel is different enough that the bayonet wouldn't hang off the muzzle and lock into the lug parallel to the barrel. Hoping that Coletrain sees the post or responds to my email to see if that's true.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,384 Posts
If I were to do things all-over again, I think I'd buy one of the "M-14" style front sight units from Cogburn, since it will accept an aftermarket luminous, Tritium front sight unit.

That said, I still take the time to paint the rearward-facing portion of the front sight with Luminescent, Neon-green paint (from Brownells), since such paint is always more visible in the daytime, and even at night.

Once one fires the firearm at night, one's night vision is gone. Trit front sights are good for the first shot, and worthless thereafter. However, if one paints the rear of one's front sight with light, Neon Green luminescent paint, one will likely be able to see the front sight, even in the dark maybe so after the first shot.

Having one's front sight instantly visible is a very Good Thing.

See Timothy J. Mullen's book, "Testing the War Weapons" for his wide-ranging testing experiences. Can't recommend this book more highly: https://smile.amazon.com/Testing-Wa...testing+the+war+weapons&qid=1615236635&sr=8-1

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't imagine the Army changed the locking mechanism between the M4 & the later M7
@Coletrain
Well ****.... my Cogburn Arsenal clamp on bayonet lug was delivered yesterday and it turns out M4 bayonets do have a slightly different lug shape than M7 & M9 bayonets. One cannot use a M4 bayonet with the lugs meant for the later bayonets. Guess I will trying buying a M7 bayonet and plugging in a rubber grommet to the muzzle ring (someone suggested this in the review section of clamp on lugs on Cogburn's website) to see if that will work with the end (.5625" dia) of a 580+ series .625" barrel.
Inside Diameter: 1/2"
Groove Width: 1/16"
Groove Diameter: 7/8"
Outside Diameter: 1-1/8"
Thickness: 5/16"

261 - 265 of 265 Posts