Perfect Union banner

241 - 260 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
front sight height

Thanks for the info. I am probably going to try the high version of the M14 front sight along with the Tech Sight mini 14 rear sight and see if I can get enough clearance for Amazon.com : B-Square Ruger 96/44, M77/22, M77/ML Mini 14 and Mini 30 Ranch, Black : Gun Grips : Sports & Outdoors All review of this says it is not enough clearance...and only by a little bit. This would be a perfect set up if it works IMO.

Hoping to see your integrated sight/strut lug in the tactical version when you get through.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Verry nice work with the bayo lugs tried to get on from brobee back when he was making them but never did. How do I go about getting one of these?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Shapeways promo code

So Shapeways sent me an email. I'm supposed to share this promo code with my friends. $10 off first time purchases. That's apretty good deal. Use this at purchase: jlsvz

Good until 4/15/16

·
Registered
223 Posts
Got a .625" ID Clamp-on M14 style sight base w/bayonet lug on order from Shapeways as of May 4, estimated ship date is May 19.

Here are the dimensions I got from Coletrain: A=.815 inch, B=.450 inch, C=.940 inch, D=.074 inch, E=.063 inch, F=.063 inch

Found a Springfield Armory standard .062 National Match front sight on Ebay for all of $19.95 shipped. Here are the measurements I took: A=.556 inch, B=.336 inch, C=.220 inch, D=.057 inch

Smiling Bob :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Shapeways shipped my sight base as of May 13, expected delivery day is May 16. Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

I made a sleeve to cover the tapered area and cross pin slot on barrel. Plan to mount the sight base directly behind the sleeve to get the longest sight radius possible, while clearing the front of the accustrut. I will do a separate post on construction of the sleeve and such soon. Stay tuned for further developments.

Smiling (BIGTIME) Bob :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
My sight base arrived today, and I got it installed on my Mini 30. I am a happy camper for sure and for certain!! Nice snug fit on the barrel even before installing screw. With screw installed and tightened, it's rock solid. The 8-32 x 5/8 long screw specified on shapeways page should be 1/2 inch long with a non nyloc nut . Obtained the black oxide machine screw with nylon patch and nut from my local Fastenal store, they had to order them cost me 43 cents. Ordered the stainless steel version from Shapeways and it's a bit shiny, kinda reminds me of nickle plate. I am thinking of sand blasting the sight base, sleeve, and brake to give them some tooth and painting them a matte black to match the front sight. Front sight has been moved back 1.325 inches from it's original position. Measurement from rear of original front sight to front of new sight base is .445 inch The current sight radius is 21.25 inches from peep aperture to back of front sight blade as opposed to the 22.575 inch sight radius of the original front sight configuration. Need to see where she prints on paper with the current sight set up and adjust accordingly. Springfield Armory uses a taller front sight on their bush and scout squad rifle. The top of the sight blade on the m14 sight is taller than the factory blade sos it may be good to go as is. The current brake is is too short and is the wrong diameter for actuality mounting an M7 bayonet, my main purpose in mounting the sight base where I did along with the sleeve was to give the brake a longer M14ish appearance, I may install a longer brake or flash hider with the proper OD in the future. For now my goal of obtaining a means to install a thinner, windage adjustable military front sight has been met. Decided to designate my Mini 30, a M30-1A EBUR (Enhanced BUsh Rifle)

Many thanks Coletrain.

Smiling (EVEN MORE BIGTIME) Bob :D

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
looking forward to ordering the clamp-on lug to fit the surplus s/s Swiss bayonet to my M30 which I installed the Eagle front sight (HK type) and break. the break is the correct O.D. for the bayonet ring to slip over.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Looks good Bob! You didn't waste anytime at all installing it. I agree with the color issues, I wish they gave better samples of the colors of the metal compared to common household items. I even sent shapeways the suggestions.

Marlin, the model is really close. I'm mainly double checking things.

I suppose this is as good of a time as any to show mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Coletrain,

Thanks my friend.

Your GB sight looks pretty cool.
Got a couple questions for you:
1. What muzzle device do you have on your Mini?
2. What bayonet do you have installed?
3. What paint did you use, and what kind of prep of sight prior to paint?

In my opinion the multiple products you have created and made available rank right alongside the likes of the N.E.S.T Engineering Accu-Strut and the TechSight MINI series rear sight in the enhancement of the Mini 14 / 30 platform. I hope you are reaping the rewards of your hard work. You sir, are an asset to the Mini 14 Mini 30 community.

BTW I added better pics to post #250

·
Registered
495 Posts
Coletrain,

Thanks my friend.

Your GB sight looks pretty cool.
Got a couple questions for you:
1. What muzzle device do you have on your Mini?
2. What bayonet do you have installed?
3. What paint did you use, and what kind of prep of sight prior to paint?

In my opinion the multiple products you have created and made available rank right alongside the likes of the N.E.S.T Engineering Accu-Strut and the TechSight MINI series rear sight in the enhancement of the Mini 14 / 30 platform. I hope you are reaping the rewards of your hard work. You sir, are an asset to the Mini 14 Mini 30 community.

BTW I added better pics to post #250
Thanks! glad I could help!

1) Something in testing phases... It might be awhile though...
2)
It's huge and think, but still awesome
3)I used black "low gloss" engine enamel paint. I think it was Duplicolor brand. It's mostly an experiment, so I don't know how it will hold up. I thought the high heat resistance would be good for a rifle barrel and the engine paint should hold up to some solvents better than grill paint. I didn't really surface prep except a really good cleaning.

The 5/8" screw was put on the shapeways because I also put a Nyloc nut on there. That would eat up enough length that a 1/2" screw would be too short. I'm going to double check to make sure it's not too long for a nyloc.

Maybe I'll recommend 1/2" for a regular nut if you use loc-tite.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does anyone have a really good closeup pic of what one of these pin-on models looks like on a 583 tactical? Trying to picture what the little "divet" left by the old front sight pin would look like.......i.e., a reeeaaalll close up pic of the muzzle and barrel where the old front sight was, vs the new one (tactical model). Thanks!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Does anyone have a really good closeup pic of what one of these pin-on models looks like on a 583 tactical? Trying to picture what the little "divet" left by the old front sight pin would look like.......i.e., a reeeaaalll close up pic of the muzzle and barrel where the old front sight was, vs the new one (tactical model). Thanks!
Unfortunately, I haven't gotten any such pictures back from customers.

You could just get the bayonet lug by itself and place it behind the front sight so it would leave your sight radius long. You'd still have to decide if that is an acceptable aesthetic for you.

241 - 260 of 266 Posts