Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone....

I've loved the look of the mini-14gb ever since I saw one for the first time...I owned a couple for a bit however they were nothing to scream about in the accuracy department so I wound up selling them. I still had that closet interest though and would secretly think about them everytime I'd take one of their bigger cousin M14 type rifles out for a spin. When the new 580 series came out and folks started writing about how they were somewhat improved in the accuracy department I bought a couple to play with. The couple I wound up with proved to be quite a bit more accurate than my old GBs however cosmetically the front sight of the civilian version always screamed "fugly" to me. I looked and looked around for a commercialy available GB style sight post/bayo lug but to no avail, so as a project I had a couple made up. I was super excited to pick the prototypes up from the machine shop this afternoon:

Rather than the conventional built-in sight of factory lug on the original gb part, I thought I'd try a dovetail such that an M14 style front sight could be used. The hole for the 1/8 roll pin is only just started such that it locates properly for the edge of the barrel. The part has a large flat on the top to use for indexing during installation (square stock clamped to it for use as a level).

My mini-14s came back from the gunsmith last week threaded 1/2x28 for an ar15 style flash hider, and crush washers and m1a match sights showed up from brownells yesterday; I'll get to bluing the bayo lugs this evening and then do some bubba work on my ranch rifles this weekend! The plan is to mark where the lug shoud go using an array of bayonets as a measuring jig, knurl the barrel under where the lug will go, loctite the cr*p out of it, and then pound her on. Once the loctite has set up I'll drill the hole for the pin.

I'm super excited and will post pics to share my excitement of the bubba gb as I get them done! Range report to follow shortly. Sadly I don't know if the wife would approve of the feral-hog bayo hunt though....:)

If others are interested I was thinking about doing a larger run with several different versions to acommodate a bunch of different barrel diameters. I'm not sure what the board rules are for talking in any more detail about this other than encouraging me to share details on my personal guns (which I will happily do!). If there is any interest I'll post an ad in the for-sale section of the board. I don't have the ability to do the threading work so interested folks would be responsible for finding someone to to their own barrel and then source the rest of the parts themself.

Hope that springtime is coming wherever you are and that you all get some time at the range soon!

Cheers,

Brobee

·
Registered
228 Posts
Nice Work

Brobee -

I like the basic concept of your bayonet lug / front sight. I am a draftsman by trade and always admire people that engineer and design useful products.

I own two older Mini GB folders (very cool) and have concluded that the reason they are less accurate than the standard mini is because of the shorter sight radius. The sight radius being shorter because the bayo lug is pushed back to accommodate the bayonet. The newer 580 series has the heavier barrel with the sight pushed out to the end (longer radius). These two additions are both important components too increased accuracy.

I agree with you about the Mini's that don't have flash suppressors are less attractive. This issued was solved for me by the new 580 Tactical Mini. Good luck on your project, please post more photos when it is complete.

Bye - Mr. GB :):D:lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got up early and did some bubba work while the rest of the family was sleeping. Need to clean off the loctite a bit but here's a preview:

Range report to follow as soon as I can get out for some trigger time!

Cheers,

Brobee

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Very nice work.

It will be interesting to see if the height of the front sight is correct (but you probably already have that figured out).

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Nothin bubba with that project. That looks real nice. I'll bet there is a market for something like that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great Idea!!

Aside from the bayo lug part, you also opened up a lot more front sight options with M14 dovetail. There are at least two companies that make night sights for that dovetail -- XS and the one that makes the ghost rings sights for Glocks (a little bit of CRS at the moment) -- and a bunch of other aftermarket iron type sights.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Just what I have been looking for! What size barrel will they fit? I'm definitely interested in one or two. Any idea how much?

Awesome work!
Clark

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great Idea!!

Aside from the bayo lug part, you also opened up a lot more front sight options with M14 dovetail. There are at least two companies that make night sights for that dovetail -- XS and the one that makes the ghost rings sights for Glocks (a little bit of CRS at the moment) -- and a bunch of other aftermarket iron type sights.
This was exactly why I went the dovetail route rather than a direct copy of the ruger GB model bayo lug/sight. I like the narrow profile of the M14 NM 0.062 front sights which are what I'm using on the two minis pictured above, but I have another one where I used a Smith Enterprise Tritium bar front sight. I'm aware of a dot sight from smith enterprise as well as a big dot from xssights (what I think is on the M1A SOCOM?). Lots of sight options that's for sure. What I also like about it is that it gives you windage style front sight adjustment.

Cheeers,

Brobee

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothin bubba with that project. That looks real nice. I'll bet there is a market for something like that.
If enough folks (lets say somewhere around 20?) are interested I'll do a larger run with provision for a bunch of different barrel diameters. PM me if you are interested!

Brobee

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I think you hit on the right idea for the Mini for all models. Drill the hole .560 for the older thin barrels and 625 for the new ones. I have often wondered how I can mount a bayonet lug on mine and still have a front sight. With some marketing like KKina did you would probably pay for your efforts and then some. This could elevate the Mini to a whole new level of combat (almost) ready firearms. How about a Garand style rear sight? Now can you build some more/cheaper 30 round magazines especially for the Mini 30. kwg

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the new tactical mini with the flashider would love too have the bayo lug but with out the front site. just mill top off flat?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I own two older Mini GB folders (very cool) and have concluded that the reason they are less accurate than the standard mini is because of the shorter sight radius. The sight radius being shorter because the bayo lug is pushed back to accommodate the bayonet. The newer 580 series has the heavier barrel with the sight pushed out to the end (longer radius). These two additions are both important components too increased accuracy.
:
to be clear for those looking at possibly doing this or purchasing older GB's, the shorter sight radius is harder to shoot, not inherently less accurate.
placement of the sight doesnt affect how the rifle shoots (perse), but does affect how you will potentially shoot the rifle.

·
Registered
206 Posts
very cool. I'd be interested in something like that if it just replaced the front sight on my 580. Or better yet. How about a piece like the one XS Sights used to make that replaced the front sight, and had a threaded portion for a birdcage on the end?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well the wife gave me an afternoon pass and I got out to the range this afternoon...woohoo! I took two of my gb bayo/m14 dovetail converted minis with me for the purpose of zeroing and practicing some sitting and squatting practice. I also brought along the camera so I could document the sight settings when zeroed for those interested in the height geometry of the m14 type sights on the dovetail.

I zeroed both guns 2 inches high at 100 yards.

The first gun was a stainless 580 series. The M14 style sight I used on this one is a tritium bar night sight made by Smith Enterprise. From the top of the sight to the leveling flat on the dovetail sight measures 0.570.

Here is a photograph of the elevation required on the rear sight to achieve zero:

And the front sight:

On the rear sight there is some room to move down and lots of upwards elevation ...all in all I was very pleased!

The second gun was a blued 580 series. The M14 style sight I used on this one is a 0.062 National Match sight made by Smith Enterprise. From the top of the sight to the leveling flat on the dovetail sight measures 0.585, 0.015 higher than the fatso night sight.

Here is a photograph of the elevation required on the rear sight to achieve zero:

And here is the front sight:

While I was expecting to require a bit more elevation on this gun given the slightly higher front post I was using it surprised me how much higher the rear sight needed to go to get zero...certainly much higher than the 0.015 difference in height between the two front sights. I'm not too stressed about it though because out of all the M1A type front sights I have the Smith Enterprise one is certainly the highest. I have a little bin at home filled with M1A and M14 front sights and lots of them are noticably shorter than the Smith Enterprise NM sight. If I decide to stick this particular front sight (instead of going with a shorter NM sight I bought from brownells a couple years ago or another one from my bin) I'll likely mill 15 to 25 thou off the post so I can lower the rear sight a bit. There was still alot of elevation travel remaining in the rear sight, however I think it would be a bit better if it was 2 or 3 threads lower in the rear sight block. For those contemplating their own conversion I know that Springfield Armory stocks three different heights of front sights. The SE sight I used would certainly be the highest you'd likely encounter.

Given this was my first range session with my GB clone converted guns all in all I was very pleased with how they zeroed and shot. Here's a picture of me and my 100 yard target at the end of the squatting/sitting positional practice shooting session:

And lastly my vanity shot for the afternoon. I tried to get one with the brass flying out however my timing was always slightly off the camera shutter going off after remote triggering...:(

The weather has been crappy up here...teasing us with spring but then winter coming back with lots and lots of snow. It snowed earlier this week then melted up a bit later in the week with high winds. Today it seemed nice (yet chilly) to start with some scattered clouds however by the time I was all packed up after the range session black clouds were rolling in and as I type this it is snowing heavily!

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Brobee

1 - 20 of 266 Posts