Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that I hope someone can answer, or make a call to see what kind of answer you get. This is a long story so please bear with me. I own several mini-14s and a couple of 30s. I went to a gun shop I have dealt with for about 15yrs. I had the intention of buying another mini14 to dress up. The owner has been in business about 35yrs,and he and his employees are very knowledgable. He ask me to step around to the back. He handed me a new out of the box mini-14 and said,look at this. As I stould there admiring the gun, he handed me a USA brand preband 20rd mag. And said insert it, I tried and it would not even began to go inside the mag well. He opened another box and handed me another gun. I tried to insert the mag, but you could tell by looking it would not fit and I tried with the same results as before. And yes I know that some pre ban Hi Caps dont fit well. But there was no way to put anything in it except the factory 5rd mag. He said to me I got a shipment in today and there all like that. I could not believe it Ruger had made a change in the width of the mag wells so the would not except Hi Cap Mags. Everyone in the shop was talking about it. I watched with a lump in my throat as the dealer sold a used one for more than the new ones. And no hes not a crook. I made another purchase and came home. I could not believe what I had seen so I called Ruger to ask them about the change. A young man answered my question and said yes we did narrow the mag wells and they will not except any brand of Hi Cap Mag. However we did not change the mini-30 because we never made a factory Hi Cap for it. He said that L.E. could still get the pre ban rifle. So like it or not I got my answer. I told some other people about it and some thought I was crazy. I gave them a number and said call for your self the number is 603-865-2442. Well some one took my advice and called. They told me who they talked to and her name and she told them there had been no change made. I hoped I was wrong this was one time I hoped I was. So I call the number listed above and a young lady answered the phone, so I explained my experience and ask her, she replied there have been no change. I politely ask her if she would double check, and she came back to the phone and said she was sorry there had been a change. So I ask her ,her name she told me and it was indeed the same one my friend called. I told them to call back because they had been misinformed. Another guy took me up and called the number and said he had spoken to a supervisor and was informed that no changes were made. Now everyone thinks im full of it. So I call the shop back and talk to my friend Carl and told him this story. He said have them call me Ill tell them because these guns were changed. I told him I wouldnt do that to him and he said no have them call. So I am still confused and becoming flustrated, as I seen the guns with my own eyes. So I call Ruger again and told this guy the whole story and he said he would check and call me back. As the day passed he never called back so I call him back, he said I was just getting ready to call me back. And he never really gave me a strait answer he said that the synthetic models have been changed, but I told him it was a wooden stocked model I saw so I am Still hanging.Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is very disconcerting.

I'm a Mini-30 owner. The only mags I have are two Ruger 5-rounders and two USA 10-rounders. The USA's have yet to be used so I don't know if they really work or not. They fit fine and when I cycle the rounds through the chamber they appear to work just fine. I'm in Kalifornia so 10-rounders are the max for me anyways.

Now what exactly does that mean when the Ruger representative said:

"A young man answered my question and said yes we did narrow the mag wells and they will not except any brand of Hi Cap Mag. However we did not change the mini-30 because we never made a factory Hi Cap for it."

Does that mean by definition that the Mini-30 shouldn't accept a high-cap mag at all? Or is it that all the currently available high-cap mags for the Mini-30 are designed similarly enough to the Ruger 5-rounders that they wouldn't be affected. Maybe I'm just not understanding that clearly.

Also how would they modify the mag well to prevent the use of High-Cap mags? Shouldn't they be the same width as the Ruger mags if they are designed and manufactured correctly?

Stu
:usa:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What the factory rep. meant when he told me the mini-30 had not changed,as he told me the mini-14s had. Was he said Ruger had never made a factory Hi Cap for the mini-30, he said all mags for the 30 were made by other mag makers pre-ban. Which if so it would lift any liability away from Ruger. So they had no need to change it only the mini-14s. I thank you guys for listening to me I am still trying to get to the botom of this topic. Sorry about posting this here I thought I was posting it under mini-14 chat. Thanks again.

·
Registered
540 Posts
So, is it just the wood/synthetic stock area in the mag well that's constricted or is it the metal frame re-inforcement or is is that part of the trigger group that is foward the trigger and frames the mag opening?
What are the serial #'s? Does anyone have a higher # that aftermarket mags work?
I just bought a new one but I believe is was sitting in the stores rack for some time with no problemo. I also just rec'd a syth stock from the factory yesterday with no problemo.

We need details!:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi ;)

If Ruger narrowed the mag well on the newer Mini-14's the older mini-14 5 round mags wouldn't fit, right? They are the same width as the hi-caps. So check with the new Mini-14 with an older mini-14 Ruger mag and if it fits the hi-caps should fit too.

USA mags can be kind of crappy and might or might not fit

Did this dealer have an older Mini 14 he was trying to sell you instead of the new one maybe...
:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bet you anything it was just the magazine, low quality. I know for a fact that they did not modify the Mini-14's. I was really worried about this, called Ruger twice, first time got a lady, she said that they did, second time, got a guy, he said they didn't, and that the lady just didn't know what she was talking about. Still not positive I went to my favorite gunshop, told him to tell me when someone ordered a new mini-14. He already had one comming in. Went back the next week, and we tried a PMI 30rd magazine, fit fine, also tried another unknown brand hi-cap, it fit fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts