Perfect Union banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!
I was pointed here by some fine folks at calguns.net.

My mini-14 has about 300rnds through her. When she is warm, say after 20-30rnds I can't manually work the bolt to eject a live round. No matter how hard I try. I have to fire it to get it out. (It cycles rounds perfectly, no jams, spent casings fly out, etc.) I can run snap caps all day at home when she's cold with no issues. Cleaning hasn't made a difference. I run 55gr Remington .223 rounds, and that's all she has ever fired.
Anyhow, I am assuming its a warmth thing. It could also be something is just enough out of whack that it just works itself into malfunction by 30rnds and is reset by cleaning.
Any ideas? Thanks!

((I asked this on the Ruger forums, but they seem broken!))

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Are you using mixed brass and steel? Steel has more blow back from the fired round becuase it does not seal as well as brass. I suggest every so often to run a bore snake through it. Also keep in mind that a heated barrel gets tighter. So if the round is in the chamber for any length of time it will also expand due to the heat. kwg

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
If you use a spent round, does it do the same? What ammo are you using? Have you tried different ammo?

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Some brands of Wolf will have a lacquer coating that will get sticky in a warm chamber.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Take the action out of the stock, see if the op rod is catching on the gas piston.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
When you say cleaning makes no difference, what do you clean the CHAMBER with? If all you do is spray something on a patch and run it through or clean the bolt, etc, you might not be getting to the problem.

I would get a chamber cleaning brush and get some cotton, over sized patches. Soak the patches in a top quality solvent, and stuff into the complete chamber, not on a snake or rod. Let sit about 20 min and then poke them out from the muzzle with a cleaning rod. Now soak the chamber brush with the same solvent and insert into the chamber and turn it in the direction of the twist on the brush. Do this several times.

It could be something left over from the factory (if new when you got it) or from ammo from previous owner, that has shellacked the chamber. Or even some type of grit.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mini extraction problem

If I understand correctly, you are experiencing an extraction issue with a warm chamber/barrel.

Does this Mini have the factory firing pin.

Have seen aftermarket FPs that need a radius fitting on the tail.

If you have the bolt apart, look for a shinny spot where it may be rubbing to unlatch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts