Perfect Union banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! My first post. I've got a mini 14 tactical and just put a Millett DMS scope on using Ruger 30mm rings. Looking at the setup I see the scope body getting nailed by brass. I like the height of the scope where it is now and also like the idea of not having a solid mount in the way of a brass catcher or in the way of cleaning the mini. Am I looking for trouble ahead with brass hitting the scope and causing trouble? I know the brass comes out with some pretty good velocity behind it. Anybody have this setup? Have you seen any problems? Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read some here on bushings. I did put a couple of buffers in. That seemed to take about 5' off the brass distance. Do the buffers take the bite out of the ejected cases?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've read some here on bushings. I did put a couple of buffers in. That seemed to take about 5' off the brass distance. Do the buffers take the bite out of the ejected cases?
Mini are notorious for pounding the hell out of a scope. By using a smaller gas bushing, and the buffer pad(s, I only use one in the rear) you will reduce the wear and tear on the action and your scope. A small gas bushing will also keep the rifle from bouncing your brass off your scope, and tossing it into the next county.

ETA: Welcome to the Forum!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Had the same problem with a similar setup with my 580 16" Mini-14 with a Hi-Lux CMR scope on 30mm Warne med rings. Putting in a .050 gas bushing cut down the ejection distance but casings were still hitting the windage turret. GunDoc suggested changing the angle of ejection by bending the ejector arm upwards (an inexpensive part from Brownells), but to get a new one first to have in case I broke it in the process. So when the new ejector part came I put it in first without fooling with the old one and doing so changed the ejection angle to where the cases weren't hitting the scope turret.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you guys done the gas bushing work? I've read so e articles on that and take it that it's a trial to find the right one? I'm also interested in the ejector mod. Any more info on that? Thanks a bunch for the help.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just got the reccomended bushing from GunDoc instead of his multiple bushing experimenters kit. Works fine. Think it is .050. You can find him in the vendors forum.

As far as the ejector mod, the involved piece is a small part on the left side of the reciever under the sliding cover which you can move down once the action is out of the stock. When the extractor pulls the casing back as the bolt moves aft the left side of the casing rim hits the ejector which makes the casing fly up and to the right and out of the rifle. If the ejector arm is too low the casings have a tendency to fly up at a higher angle. If it is higher the casings tend to fly more out horizontally. I was warned to have a spare handy before trying to bend the ejector arm as it might snap. Brownells has them pretty cheap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took a look at my mini and saw the ejector.it's the small piece that comes out when a person removes the side plate? It appears to run in a slot on the bolt. It doesn't seem to have a lot of room to be bent and still mate with the slot on the bolt. A person could bend too much and have the bolt hang up. I am assuming that it doesn't take much to change the angle of deflation of a spent case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts