Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks. I'm new here round these parts. Really have enjoyed reading everything here.

I'm new to firearms and looking to expand. For some reason I've taken a likeing to the Ruger Mini's. I'm looking to buy a rifle now.

So far I've been a 9mm pistol owner. S&W and Glock.

Now I'm looking for a comfortable rifle that's good for plinking and hunting. Today I looked at calibers of .223 and 7.62 and read that the .223 aint so good for hunting. I would like to hear some thoughts on the Ruger Mini-30 and hunting. Specifically deer hunting.

I'm moving to CA in about 3 months and want to make a few aquisitions before I go and would appreciate some advice.

I know CA sucks. Don't remind me!

Hope this isn't too obscure. Shine on.

Thanks,
Stu

No Longer Involved
I don't think the 7.62x39 is legal for deer hunting here in CA. At least, I believe, it is specifically NOT recommended.

Don't know specifically, I'm grasping at old memories.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill. I'm relatively new to firearms and I appreciate your response. I'm not particularly concerned with hunting in CA. I'm going to be tagging along with my Father in-law in Michgan on a hunting trip up in Michigan later this year.

I guess what I'm really asking is if the Mini-30 would or could be appropriate for deer hunting?

Also would like to know if the Mini-30 has all the same features as the mini-14 ranch rifle (scope mounts, side ejection, etc). I've gathered that it does but havn't specifically read that it does.

-Stu:rapid:

No Longer Involved
The Mini-30 definitely IS appropriate for deer hunting, if you choose your shots wisely, AND if its caliber is legal in that state.

Due to the limited power of the 7.62x39 cartridge, it would best be used at limited range...

For a good all-around cartridge, you step up to other .30cal rifles, such as the .308 or 7.62x51 (7.62 NATO) rounds, or .30-06, or various other flavors, and will get you more range. But the Mini-30 comes in 7.62x39, which was designed as a man-stopper, not a deer-stopper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts