Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mini 14 is way easier to clean then my AR.

I dont even have a real AR, it is a colt M16 22LR.

The hard part to clean is the chamber. It does get dirty and the best way I have found so far to get in there is Q-tips. It gets most the grim and build up but it is never as clean as my mini.

I just break the Mini down, wipe the parts clean, lube it, and but it all back together no Q-tip fine detail cleaning involved.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
Yep,

I've had a real AR, and your observations are correct. The military did contract out to have specialized AR chamber brushes made. You may want to look into that. Another good alternatve for you may be to get a .22 LR conversion kit for your mini. It is not a permanent alteration, and will let you shoot cheaply with the rifle you love. Best wishes.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have both a Mini 14 and AR15 in .223 and I find the AR much simpler to clean. Pull the takedown pin, pull the bolt and charging handle out, chamber brush the chamber, clean the barrel from the breech, clean and lube the bolt, put charging handle in, put bolt in, put the take down pin back.

The Mini 14 is more of a hasstle to take apart and then you have to clean from the muzzle.... All the said I like my Mini more!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quoteI have both a Mini 14 and AR15 in .223 and I find the AR much simpler to clean. Pull the takedown pin, pull the bolt and charging handle out, chamber brush the chamber, clean the barrel from the breech, clean and lube the bolt, put charging handle in, put bolt in, put the take down pin back.

The Mini 14 is more of a hasstle to take apart and then you have to clean from the muzzle.... All the said I like my Mini more!!][/quote]

yeah but what about the chamber?

·
Registered
25 Posts
check out the Otis cleaning system.

it allows you to clean any barrel from breech end to muzzle by use of a plastic coated flexible cable. attach a slotted end for a patch or bore brush and simply pull through.

no damage to the muzzle crown.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I love both rifles, but from a ‘quick field cleaning’ POV, and not a ‘detailed cleaning’ one, I personally found the Mini much more forgiving. The AR-15 has many tight ‘nooks and crannies’ to get into. A major downside, IMHO, is that its bolt breaks down into too many small components. They can be easily lost if one is not careful, rendering the rifle useless unless spares are carried (usually in the buttstock). The Mini breaks down into larger ‘complete’ and accessible assemblies. Like Magog pointed out, these usually require only a hit with an oily rag at the very least. The Mini’s ‘gut area’ is easier to access for cleaning as well. Even a very filthy gas block/piston area can be ‘restored’ with little effort using a rag. At the bare minimum, the only optional accessory to have for a Mini is a pull through bore cleaner for the reason we are all aware of. As chaindrive mentioned, OTIS makes a great kit. It has all you need inside, and can be carried with nearly invisible ease. Best!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so all the residue that builds up in the chamber is just a none issue, and I am wasting my time cleaning it out with Q-tips??? Because that is where the bulk of the cleaning time goes. It is a tiny little hole, and it takes about 20 q-tips dapped in cleaning oil and a lot of wiping.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I say, clean it how you like. To each their own on cleaning methods.

Personally, I go ahead & break it all down for a thorough clean/lube.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok... I think this is where the design of the 22lr M16 fails.

Once broken down the chamber on my rifle is not a clear pass though...

The blow back bolt system does not come out, so I am forced to work it over with Q-tips.

I will buy a chamber brush to see if it helps at all, but I think if it can not pass all the way though, it will not be very effective.

I seen them for about 3 bucks on line so it is not a huge waste of money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
well you cant really compare the colt 22lr to the real thing. I own both and trust me the so called "colt" 22lr is very far from a real AR. it all looks the same on the outside, but breaks down 100% differently. ARs IMHO are one of the easiest guns to break down and clean. I carry an m4 everyday at work and can break that thing down in just under 20 seconds (we've timed it :) ) I cant say the same for my mini, but I do prefer the look and feel of my mini much more than my m4

1 - 14 of 14 Posts