Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, after shooting an M16/AR15 for nearly 10 years, and was very happy with it's accuracy, I must say that the Mini 14 is just as accurate and don't know all the fuss about everyone wanting to get AR's. For the money, there is no better shooting .223 that I know of, and if you're lucky enough to live in a State other than I do, California, you can fully tacticalize your mini with a pistol grip fusion system stock that equals the AR in that sense...

Living in California (Commiefornia) we have really weird rules for AR's, like the mag has to be fixed, max capacity 10 rounds, etc.:angry:, with my mini, same power, but I can change my mag's, so there alone I see the advantage. If you owned higher capacity mag's pre-ban you can use the too...I was at the range a few days ago and a former Navy Vet was shooting his mini 14 with a 40 round mag:eek:...can't do that with an AR...

I say for reliance and the awesome Garand style action, the Mini 14 is a better choice for a .223 shooter:D, price wise, accuracy wise and ease to use...

Gotta go Mini:D!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I really like my AR's but I will concur that the new Mini-14 is a great platform. I like the Garand type action, light weight and small size. With good mags they are an excellent gun for a multitude of chores. I don't feel undergunned at all with a Mini-14 on a sling. I'm on my third one (NRA 16") and think they are just great. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sarge, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Kommiefornia will not let you put a folder on the Mini-14. It makes it an evil assault rifle.

I own 4 minis and 4 ARs. The AR is hands-down the superior gun. The AR is far more accurate. But, I still like my minis. Get both.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sarge, I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Kommiefornia will not let you put a folder on the Mini-14. It makes it an evil assault rifle.

I own 4 minis and 4 ARs. The AR is hands-down the superior gun. The AR is far more accurate. But, I still like my minis. Get both.
I keep forgetting about the Commie laws there but heck, even without a folder that Mini is a great gun. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Mini-14 is my legal semiautomatic home defense gun.

My Bullet button Aimpoint scoped AR15 is my Rodney King/Katrina/SHTF gun. When the zombies come out to play, the bullet button comes off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I vote both. I have both. I typically look at the purchase price of a firearm as the initial invvestment with typcially much more money to follow. This is just my opinion. I have very few firearms that remain stock. My Bushmaster XM-15 is fairly modified and my Mini-14 is heavily modified. Currently it's home is at Accuracy Sysytems, Inc. I will have far more into my Mini-14 than the original purchase price, but modifying them is half the fun for me. That's how you make them customized to your needs.

If you are talking a stock AR-15 vs. a stock Mini-14 I would have to go with the AR-15 based on my rifles. Too many variants out there to make a blanket statement though.

·
Registered
787 Posts
at present I have more mini's than ar's.
that being said, the AR wins big time in one important category:

parts

with the exception of hanging stuff on a mini, there's really nothing the average joe home guy can do with a mini. you can change a stock, maybe polish up the trigger, perhaps put a scope/optics on it in some form.
the ar is vastly superior here.
the normal garage tinkeror can do basically anything to an ar. swap barrels (via uppers, or the barrel itself with basic tools) from as short to as long as you want to go (obviously registered SBR status is important here). move around complete bolts or replace a firing pin. swap around triggers, change buffers, optics is your universe and different mounts are as common as water. mags are ridiculously available and as a blanket statement....all work. I once got in on a bulk buy and the mags (used) netted out to $4 a piece. and they all worked. flash hiders, compensators, stocks (fore and aft), grips, etc etc.
with the ar, the parts world is your playground and you have literally endless possibilities.
this is NOT the case with the mini.

the mini's biggest case is its stubborn reliability.
but with high end piston guns....that gap is closing rapidly (cost aside)

again, I love my minis. but I love them for what they are and that is all.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Related to the parts issue, you can buy any AR part you wish; even Colt parts. Mags are everywhere, even the overpriced ones seem cheaper than Ruger.
And it's only recently that Ruger will sell hicaps to anyone except LE.
Last I heard, Ruger would not sell a separate bolt or barrel; there may be other parts on their "factory fix only" list.
Is that still true?

·
Registered
118 Posts

Saying the AR is superior hands - down is a little much. The AR takes more work to clean and gets dirty faster. AR's can be picky with ammo. In the field AR's need constant upkeep and cleaning. AR's require a forward assist and dust cover to keep things working right. I will trade the very VERY minimal difference in accuracy for better reliability in any situation.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I know this, but with our standard stock on the mini you can have as many mag's as you want. If I lived say in Arizona or Texas, I'd probably buy an AR just for the memories of the days in the Army, but I am telling you, accuracy wise, my mini 14 is one powerful .223, and will not admit that the AR can out do her in anyway. Love them both, but here in Commieville, owning an AR is a crazy game that I just don't want to go through...

Cheers...:)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Heck--I've dumped all my AR's for more usable guns----only have Mini's now for semi-autos-----AR's never felt right in my hands.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The best answer is both. I love my Mini-14s. The fact that I think the AR15 is a better gun (just my personal opinion) does not take anything away from the Mini-14. Life would be too boring to only own one type of rifle.

Personally, I have found both to be rock solid reliable after thousands of rounds.

When I coyote hunt, the forward assist is great on the AR15. It allows me to load my gun quietly as I leave my car. You can ride the charging handle to slowly chamber a round and then use the forward assist to fully chamber a round.

I have not found a way to load my Garand, Mini-14, or AK as quietly.

Buy them all. There are no bad guns, just bad liberals.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I Love Them All!

I have multiple Mini's (new Tactical on the way) AR's and AK's. I love all three and would choose any of the three in a SHTF situation.

The only time I wouldn't choose an AR would be in a combat situation where I wasn't able to clean it over a long period of time. Otherwise I have have nothing but praise for all three. :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
88 Posts
In my safe I only have 3 minis and A M1A as far as semi autos go the rest are leverguns.If TSHF I would grab my mini 14 ranch for spray and pray and my M1A for taking targets out alitte farther out. I just dont have any love for the AR platform even though I carried one for a few years in the army.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I own both a couple of ARs.Rock River AR15&AR10 CMMG gas piston AR15 and an old 185 mini 14.If I had to pick one in a long term combat sit it would be the mini.It is way more reliable then most AR's (not the CMMG) and gets to the point.I can throw the mini in the pond pull it out and shoot it.Nobody can say that about any AR maid.Now that I said all that why hasent anybody said anything about H&K.Would pick it over any gun out their.Just like the mini it will shoot with sand in the bolt and still keep a 2 moa at 200yds.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Mr. GB:

As for so many people wanting to avoid an AR-15 or M-4 in a dusty combat situation, I've got a question, and have never been an LEO, in the infantry, armor.

A really young veteran of at least one firefight in Iraq told me that their "guns would jam with one grain of sand". He was based last summer at Ft. Riley, KS.
Did our DoD always assume that combat would always be in a clean environment, and would never live in foxholes etc?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I got one of each

I love them both. My AR is a Stag Model 2, which I added a YHM customizable free float forearm, a vertical foregrip, and an EOTech holo sight which has lower 1/3 cowitness with my irons. It's a really fun rifle.

I'm not done upgrading my Mini yet, as the money's tight. My Mini is used for slaying coyotes and other vermin. Right now it's wearing a cheapy scope, but I'm eventually (when budget allows) going get some good quality glass on it. I've had the barrel shortened to 16.25" and an A2 flash hider installed. Still need a bipod adapter, high quality glass, and more trigger time so I can figure out which loads work the best in it. I'm hoping to get good results from either 55gr Hornady V-Maxs or 69gr Sierra Matchkings. Either seems like it would be a good round for yote elimination.

I like the Mini for vermin hunting because I find it far more comfortable to shoot from the prone position than the AR. The 5 round factory magazine doesn't interfere with prone shooting and doesn't dig into your back while you're out moving around in the woods with the rifle slung over your shoulder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are there any $800 ar-15s that shoot as well that the 580 with the tapered barrel?
I plan to use it for 3gun so hot barrel performance is relevant.

Brownell's mini 14 mags?

I tend to not clean my guns and have a bias against the ar15 and in favor of the garand.

Bistrisokol

Garand
sw910
amt1911

·
Registered
387 Posts
Are there any $800 ar-15s that shoot as well that the 580 with the tapered barrel?
I plan to use it for 3gun so hot barrel performance is relevant.

Brownell's mini 14 mags?

I tend to not clean my guns and have a bias against the ar15 and in favor of the garand.

Bistrisokol

Garand
sw910
amt1911
The days of $800 AR-15s are pretty much gone, unless you're building your own parts gun, and even then it's tough to come out that cheap.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.