Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a common question, but there's been no centralized place to compile all the options. Post any recommended parts or old threads, good example photos, etc and I'll update the OP with the data.

How to make a Mini-14 look more like an M14: what you need and where to get it

Underbarrel rods
To resemble the M14 gas system, and potentially improve accuracy

Upper handguards
Also does away with the lawyer-advised bulging op-rod cover of the current stock models
  • Choate Ventilated Handguard: can be painted to resemble wood, or retro-era M14 synthetics (paint colors???)
  • Federal Ordnance (discontinued)

Front sight and/or flash hider or muzzle brake
several products are unitary front sight/muzzle device items
  • The >580-series Mini-14s already have a "curved ears" front sight similar to the M14, no front sight change required
  • Choate: combo front sight/flash hider for <580 series, skinny barrel rifles
  • AMK Tactical: slip-on FH and fiber-optic front sight for 580-series
  • LRB????: standalone flash suppressor?
  • What brand of dummy FS for NY/DC/CA etc. rules???

Rear sight

Stocks
Wood, and synthetic stocks that can resembled M14 sythn stocks

Buttplate
  • ???

Magazines
  • Mags which most resemble M14???
  • Pinned 20rd mags for AWB states (down to 10 or 7 rounds)???

Finish (and colors)
Which colours best imitate M14s for receiver/strut, and for handguard?
  • Duracoat,
  • Cerrakote:
  • ???

Earlier threads about conversions

·
Walking Dead
550 Posts
One of the reasons I like the SOCOM from Accu Strut, it more closely resembles the M14. Here's a nice comparison photo from user jismail on M14 Forum, with his M14, Mini-14 and M1 Carbine.

Amazing how small the carbine, really is (35"???). All of them, awesome battle rifles.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
What brand of dummy FS for NY/DC/CA etc. rules
I'd be interested in this too, thanks in advance.

While only flash suppressors are named in DC code, I am not sure a working muzzle break would always be legal.

They went though this in cali a few years back and the ruling is:
"Muzzle brakes and compensators are flash suppressors if they also suppress flash. The Department believes the absence of specific measurement standards in the statute demonstrates the legislative intent to identify as a flash suppressor, any device that reduces the amount of flash regardless of its intended or additional functionality"

So essentially unless you know a particular muzzle-break does not reduce flash viable to shooter; in DC, you could be in possession of an illegal assault rifle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So essentially unless you know a particular muzzle-break does not reduce flash viable to shooter; in DC, you could be in possession of an illegal assault rifle.
I have the vauge impression that some folks have used dummy FAL or M14 FSs, but I need to check in on that.

My understanding is that some makers of dummies have specific letters from CA or other states saying "this product does not suppress flash". Given how willing DC seems to let other states do all the legal legwork, reckon they'd be pretty willing to accept a CA-approved device?

I think I must agree, I never knew it existed until today. Glad TapTheForwardAssist posted this thread, good info in one easy to find place.
No worries, this is kinda what I do for a living in my day job, so glad to apply it to hobbies too.:cool:

Still really hoping for info on:
  • What colors of paint/finish to use on handguards, and for coloring the receiver/barrel assembly
  • Dummy flash suppressors
  • Non-laminate walnut stocks
  • Good finish options for making the standard stocks look more military
  • Any other rear sights, or is TecSights the hands-down M14-esque option?

Also if I get a blued Mini-14 and a black SOCOM strut for the interim, and later get them cryo'ed and duracoated (to whatever color resembles 'Nam-era M14s), am I at any real disadvantage over having bought stainless in the first place, other than my bore not being ultra-rustproof?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Good stainless, as used in firearms, is not "ultra-rustproof" - it's rust resistant.

Stainless firearms will rust if neglected and can rust badly depending on the stainless alloy used.

Friend - gun guy and pistol shooter and smith (studied at Trinidad, CO) - said first S&W Model 60 he saw was in the RVN (late 1960s). Said the revolver was "red" - it was covered with rust.

YMMV

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looks kinda like an early BM-59.

Oh - Good Grief! Did you change the gas system and op-rod?:eek:

Or are you just pulling our collective legs?:lol:

YMMV
Not mine, I don't have the time or money right now. But yes, its a real Mini-14 with a M1 gas system.

Here's some info about it:
It is not any more difficult than any other rifle. You are limited to a one inch Barrel diameter at the chamber area because of the front magazine lock up.
This barrel is one inch at the chamber, it tapers at the chamber area to .750" under the hand guards, then follows the Garand barrel dimensions to the muzzle.
This conversion uses a standard Garand gas cylinder & front sight assembly which mates perfectly with the standard Mini rear sight.

The operating rod is a mating of the Mini 14 op rod and the Garand operating rod.
The mini14 pictured is a 180 series and uses a somewhat different operating rod than the later series, but conversion is the same.

Basicly you cut two inches off of the front of the Mini Operating rod which exposes the operating rod spring tunnel. You then open up the end of the tunnel to accept the cut down Garand operaing rod, and and weld in place.

The operating rod spring is a cut down Garand Spring.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
My girl loves showing it off, it brings a smile to everyone's face when they handle it. But I need to find a sling for her, I was thinking a white sling maybe, but I told her to find something she likes...
White would look nice. I really wish I could do a rifle like that for my wife. Hell.. I would shoot it if it were mine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I found the two most distinctive add-ons that make my Mini look like the M-14 are the SOCOM Accu-strut and the M-14 style flash hider from the old Choate Machine and Tool Company.

Mine is an older 185 series stainless and I installed my flash hider back in 1985 and only just installed my SOCOM last year.

I do think the AMK flash hider is a better choice as it has a much nicer fit and finish and would consider installing one if it came in stainless steel.

Until then, I am content to wait.
:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.