Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

This is my first post on this site. I've been reading these threads in prep for the purchase of a 580+ series Mini 14. I've shot ARs for years but have wanted a simple Garand bolt action for a while. I've since purchased the tatical, S/S ranch, Target model and a Thirty. I bough the tatical back when they were introduced and have been plnking with it. Recently, I bought a Nikon M223 1-4x BDC (Midway exclusive) and mounted to the Tatical. At 4x using inexpensive PMC .223 55gr BTs, here is a 100 yrd 5 rd. group. My neighbor was spotting and blown away by this group with a Mini. :eek:

So, for all the nay-sayers out that that flame the Mini 14 based on ancient history experience and hearsay, try a new model. And, the Mini is rock-solid reliable.

I've not tuned the harmonic balancer on my Mini 14 Target yet, but I've not achieved less than 1" with the Target using Hornady 75 gr. HP BTs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sweet! That is a very impressive group!

I've also had very good luck with the accuracy of my Tactical while using iron sights. Still working on sighting in my new BugBuster scope.

Thanks for sharing.

Quinton

·
Registered
204 Posts
Very nice group, especially with that ammo. Do the groups open up as the barrel gets hot? My 18" 581 ranch doesnt like 55gr once its hot.. Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice group, especially with that ammo. Do the groups open up as the barrel gets hot? My 18" 581 ranch doesnt like 55gr once its hot.. Welcome to the site!
Thanks for the welcomes.

My Tac was already well-warmed having just fired about 30-40 rds. It was about 85 degrees outside with a variable breeze blowing head-on. I did it once before so it was nice to have a witness for this go round. I'll have to start with a cold bore shot next time.

Now, my Target model ALWAYS places the first shot in the bullseye. It goes down hill from there. I'm sure I'm a majority of the blame, but I've not grouped with it as tight as the Tac groups. Sooner or later I'll spend the time playing with the heavy harmonic balancer to see how it reacts.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
My 580 series skinny barrel with accustrut has been shooting like that since I added the strut. Glad you have found out the mini isnt total garbage like the internet commando's think they are. You should see mine with handloads. The holes touch and overlap and everything. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 580 series skinny barrel with accustrut has been shooting like that since I added the strut. Glad you have found out the mini isnt total garbage like the internet commando's think they are. You should see mine with handloads. The holes touch and overlap and everything. :lol::lol:
qwman68:

Nice. I've looked into the struts for my Ranch 14 and Thirty. Good to hear first-hand success.

To ramble a little more about the Mini, I am a big believer in this "modified" Garand action that the Mini 14s and Thirtys are using. I said earlier that I've shot ARs for years. My last target AR was an Armalite Target model - heavy triple lapped barrel, trigger, floated, etc. With the planets aligned, it might have shot a group like the one above. I only got it to just within an inch. Of course my Mini Target (without tuning) is struggling to reach an ince as well. As to Mini reliability... its a Garand action. IMO, questioning a Garand action's reliability is like questioning a Glock's reliability.

I've read several posts on the net that suggest that the shorter barrel cuts down on vibration and produces a better shot. To test this theory a bit, I plan to get a second Nikon 1-4 and see how my S/S Ranch performs with it. After a little reearch, I may have a smith whittle the barrel down, crown it, etc. Or, add the strut. We'll see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
qwman68:

Nice. I've looked into the struts for my Ranch 14 and Thirty. Good to hear first-hand success.

To ramble a little more about the Mini, I am a big believer in this "modified" Garand action that the Mini 14s and Thirtys are using. I said earlier that I've shot ARs for years. My last target AR was an Armalite Target model - heavy triple lapped barrel, trigger, floated, etc. With the planets aligned, it might have shot a group like the one above. I only got it to just within an inch. Of course my Mini Target (without tuning) is struggling to reach an ince as well. As to Mini reliability... its a Garand action. IMO, questioning a Garand action's reliability is like questioning a Glock's reliability.

I've read several posts on the net that suggest that the shorter barrel cuts down on vibration and produces a better shot. To test this theory a bit, I plan to get a second Nikon 1-4 and see how my S/S Ranch performs with it. After a little reearch, I may have a smith whittle the barrel down, crown it, etc. Or, add the strut. We'll see.
Completely agree about the Garand action. I have 100% faith that my Mini(s) will work properly... all the time. Have two Tacticals and both are accurate. Yet to be at the range when someone did not come up and ask about the rifle.

Pre-581 series Minis should all have struts. I have one on one of my Tacticals, do not think it is necessary.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
Completely agree about the Garand action. I have 100% faith that my Mini(s) will work properly... all the time. Have two Tacticals and both are accurate. Yet to be at the range when someone did not come up and ask about the rifle.

Pre-581 series Minis should all have struts. I have one on one of my Tacticals, do not think it is necessary.
I agree. All mini's with the thin profile barrel would benefit from having a strut. Mine also has a trigger job done by local GS. Many ways to tune the mini and squeeze some accuracy out of them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Updated range report

With a little free time, I went to the range last weekend to try some of Academy's Russian made steel case ammo in the 14 Tac. The result: 1.5" - 2" groups regardless of the barrel temp.

Having read the replies on this thread and in other threads and forums, I'm amazed at all the misinformation about the Mini (and ARs) based on unmodified 180 series Minis (and Vietnam era ARs). I'm not sure why anyone would bash a product based on decades-old information.

So, even with the cheapest ammo I could find, my Mini 14 Tactical still groups under 2" and under 1" with cheaper brass ammo. Not sure what else anyone could want from a rifle that was never designed to by a target rifle (except, of course, the Target model).

·
Registered
33 Posts
582 series

I am assuming that by pre 581 benefiting from a strut that is based on serial #? I am new to this forum and mini's (first rifle besides shotgun I have bought). Mine is 582 and I have taken to the range once. Shot 3" at 50 yards on a day with 30 mph wind gusts, plus first time firing and newbie shooter. Should I get it out to 100 yards before deciding on a strut or should I be good?

Thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
No strut needed or wanted for me. 581 RR SS 18.5" barrel.

·
Registered
663 Posts
+1

IMO it adds weight were it is least wanted, at the front of the gun. If I had an early model Mini with the skinnier profile barrel I would seriously consider it, but not with the new ones. Bed it, trigger job, smaller gas port bushings and its done in my mind. The only one of those that adds weight is the bedding and thats only a few ounces right in the middle of the rifle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts