Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the mini-14 target model with laminate thumbhole stock. Love this gun but it was throwing brass into the next county and I reload.

So I installed the ASI adjustable gas block. The adjustable gas block works great but now I am getting at least one FTE per 10 -20 rounds.

I feel like I eliminated the gas block as the problem since I backed it all the way out so it was not restricting the factory gas flow and the FTE's continued. I have tried this with factory mags which I have never had an issue with.

It seems like the cases eject inconsistently. Some go 10 or so feet front right, some go 6-12 inches and land on the bench, I have had a couple go left somehow as well. It's more like I am not getting a consistent gas seal when the charging arm returns.

Anyway, I am at a loss as to how to fix this and I really do not want to go back to the factory gas block.

I get this behavior with the gas block adjusted just enough to eject all the way to wide open.

Any ideas?

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
I have the mini-14 target model with laminate thumbhole stock. Love this gun but it was throwing brass into the next county and I reload.

So I installed the ASI adjustable gas block. The adjustable gas block works great but now I am getting at least one FTE per 10 -20 rounds.

I feel like I eliminated the gas block as the problem since I backed it all the way out so it was not restricting the factory gas flow and the FTE's continued. I have tried this with factory mags which I have never had an issue with.

It seems like the cases eject inconsistently. Some go 10 or so feet front right, some go 6-12 inches and land on the bench, I have had a couple go left somehow as well. It's more like I am not getting a consistent gas seal when the charging arm returns.

Anyway, I am at a loss as to how to fix this and I really do not want to go back to the factory gas block.

I get this behavior with the gas block adjusted just enough to eject all the way to wide open.

Any ideas?
Sounds like you have the gas block slightly misaligned to the barrel port.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Either run open enough for all rounds to cycle or find a gas block bushing kit from Gundoc or ASI. I have the same target mini and run with a Gundoc bushing kit, works great! I lay a shop towel over the scope and bolt ejection side to drop brass beside the gun for reloading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you have the gas block slightly misaligned to the barrel port.
You know I think I have some fouling on the front of the gas block which would indicate just what you are suggesting.

Thanks, I'm going to take it off and see if I can get it mounted better.

·
Registered
397 Posts
BarnDog what ammo and do you have this problem with all variety's? Chamber clean?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BarnDog what ammo and do you have this problem with all variety's? Chamber clean?
Custom handloads - Varget 25gn behind 55 gn Hornady FMJ. SHould be pushing out the muzzle at about 3080 fps. Plenty of oomph to shove that bolt back.

I handload one at a time so I don't believe there is much varience at all there.

At this point I think I have a gas leak - most logical and signs point this way.

By the way, the ASI adjustable gas block is fantastic. Very well made.

Once this gets squared away, I think the next stop is Gundoc for a better trigger.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If the bolt locks open on an empty mag consistently when shooting then it is not a gas problem.

Check for a piece of brass preventing the extactor from getting a full grip on the case rim - you can manually check extractor engagement with the bolt out of the receiver or by hand cycling too - just be careful where you are pointing if you do this with loaded rounds and use the safety.

Also check ejector position and reach in the bolt face.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I poured through a lot of FTE posts on here and have since completely stripped, cleaned and lubed every piece of the rifle paying particular attention to the bolt pieces. I tore down the gas block system, ensured the gas port was seated properly and aligned center. There did seem to be some residue forward of the gas block which I would not have expected to see. However, the bolt would always lock back fine so not sure if it was a gas issue.

The extractor pin seemed to be sticking a bit and was very hard to go in. It does not look broken or worn but is now operating better by manually moving it.

I will give this a run through next trip to the range. I was surprised to see a number of similar posts regarding extractor issues and FTE.

I will keep my eye on this. I am hoping to be able to use this as part of the practical rifle competitions where long range accuracy is required. I have my AR for the CQB stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.